Immediate Postpartum Glucose Tolerance Testing in Women with Gestational Diabetes: A Pilot Study
20 June 2017
24 August 2017
14 September 2017 (eFirst)
Objective Due to poor adherence for glucose testing at 6- to 12-week postpartum among women with gestational diabetes, we sought to determine whether a 2-hour glucose tolerance test (GTT) during postpartum hospitalization is predictive of 6- to 12-week postpartum glucose testing.
Study Design An institutional review board–approved prospective cohort study was performed over 3 years. Patients underwent an inpatient fasting 75-g, 2-hour GTT on either postpartum days 2 through 4 and instructed to follow up in 6- to 12-weeks for postpartum glucose testing. Sensitivity, specificity, positive predictive value (PPV), and negative predictive values (NPV) of the immediate GTT to predict abnormal 6- to 12-week postpartum glucose testing were determined.
Results Eighty women enrolled in the study completed the immediate GTT; of these, only 35 (44%) underwent 6- to 12-week postpartum glucose testing. The sensitivity, specificity, PPV, and NPV of the immediate GTT were 100, 42.8, 30.4, and 100%, respectively.
Conclusion More than 50% of our study patients did not undergo recommended postpartum glucose testing, coinciding with similar poor follow-up reported in the literature. With a high NPV and high sensitivity, a negative immediate GTT may obviate the need for the 6- to 12-week GTT, while a positive GTT may identify women who should follow up closely.
This article was presented as a poster at the 37th Annual Pregnancy Meeting of the Society for Maternal–Fetal Medicine from January 22 to 28, 2017 at Las Vegas, NV.
- 1 Committee on Practice Bulletins–Obstetrics. Practice Bulletin No. 137: Gestational diabetes mellitus. Obstet Gynecol 2013; 122 (2, Pt 1): 406-416
- 2 DeSisto CL, Kim SY, Sharma AJ. Prevalence estimates of gestational diabetes mellitus in the United States, Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System (PRAMS), 2007-2010. Prev Chronic Dis 2014; 11: E104
- 3 Ferrara A, Hedderson MM, Quesenberry CP, Selby JV. Prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus detected by the national diabetes data group or the Carpenter and Coustan plasma glucose thresholds. Diabetes Care 2002; 25 (09) 1625-1630
- 4 Schwartz N, Nachum Z, Green MS. The prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus recurrence–effect of ethnicity and parity: a metaanalysis. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2015; 213 (03) 310-317
- 5 Roeckner JT, Sanchez-Ramos L, Jijon-Knupp R, Kaunitz AM. Single abnormal value on 3-hour oral glucose tolerance test during pregnancy is associated with adverse maternal and neonatal outcomes: a systematic review and metaanalysis. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2016; 215 (03) 287-297
- 6 Nahum Sacks K, Friger M, Shoham-Vardi I. , et al. Prenatal exposure to gestational diabetes mellitus as an independent risk factor for long-term neuropsychiatric morbidity of the offspring. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2016; 215: 380.e1-380.e7
- 7 Palatnik A, Mele L, Landon MB. , et al. Timing of treatment initiation for mild gestational diabetes mellitus and perinatal outcomes. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2015; 213 (04) 560.e1-560.e8
- 8 Bellamy L, Casas JP, Hingorani AD, Williams D. Type 2 diabetes mellitus after gestational diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet 2009; 373 (9677): 1773-1779
- 9 Kwak SH, Choi SH, Jung HS. , et al. Clinical and genetic risk factors for type 2 diabetes at early or late post partum after gestational diabetes mellitus. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2013; 98 (04) E744-E752
- 10 Kjos SL, Buchanan TA, Greenspoon JS, Montoro M, Bernstein GS, Mestman JH. Gestational diabetes mellitus: the prevalence of glucose intolerance and diabetes mellitus in the first two months post partum. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1990; 163 (1, Pt 1): 93-98
- 11 Kim C, Newton KM, Knopp RH. Gestational diabetes and the incidence of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review. Diabetes Care 2002; 25 (10) 1862-1868
- 12 Catov JM, Margerison-Zilko C. Pregnancy as a window to future health: short-term costs and consequences. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2016; 215 (04) 406-407
- 13 Ratner RE, Christophi CA, Metzger BE. , et al; Diabetes Prevention Program Research Group. Prevention of diabetes in women with a history of gestational diabetes: effects of metformin and lifestyle interventions. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2008; 93 (12) 4774-4779
- 14 American Diabetes Association. 13. Management of diabetes in pregnancy. Diabetes Care 2017; 40 (Suppl. 01) S114-S119
- 15 Ryan EA, O'Sullivan MJ, Skyler JS. Insulin action during pregnancy. Studies with the euglycemic clamp technique. Diabetes 1985; 34 (04) 380-389
- 16 Sivan E, Whittaker PG, Sinha D. , et al. Leptin in human pregnancy: the relationship with gestational hormones. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1998; 179 (05) 1128-1132
- 17 Kim C, Tabaei BP, Burke R. , et al. Missed opportunities for type 2 diabetes mellitus screening among women with a history of gestational diabetes mellitus. Am J Public Health 2006; 96 (09) 1643-1648
- 18 Russell MA, Phipps MG, Olson CL, Welch HG, Carpenter MW. Rates of postpartum glucose testing after gestational diabetes mellitus. Obstet Gynecol 2006; 108 (06) 1456-1462
- 19 Kwong S, Mitchell RS, Senior PA, Chik CL. Postpartum diabetes screening: adherence rate and the performance of fasting plasma glucose versus oral glucose tolerance test. Diabetes Care 2009; 32 (12) 2242-2244
- 20 Clarke H, Graham ID, Karovitch A, Keely EJ. Do postnatal reminders increase postpartum screening of diabetes mellitus in women with gestational diabetes mellitus? A randomized controlled trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2009; 200 (06) 634.e1-634.e7
- 21 Cosson E, Bihan H, Vittaz L. , et al. Improving postpartum glucose screening after gestational diabetes mellitus: a cohort study to evaluate the multicentre IMPACT initiative. Diabet Med 2015; 32 (02) 189-197
- 22 Heatley E, Middleton P, Hague W, Crowther C. The DIAMIND study: postpartum SMS reminders to women who have had gestational diabetes mellitus to test for type 2 diabetes: a randomised controlled trial - study protocol. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 2013; 13: 92
- 23 Werner EF, Has P, Tarabulsi G, Lee J, Satin A. Early postpartum glucose testing in women with gestational diabetes mellitus. Am J Perinatol 2016; 33 (10) 966-971