Subscribe to RSS
Outcomes after Arthroscopic Debridement of the Triangular Fibrocartilage Complex in Adolescents
09 February 2017
26 June 2017
24 July 2017 (online)
Background To the best of our knowledge, we are not aware of any reports focusing on results of arthroscopic debridement of triangular fibrocartilage complex (TFCC) tears in immature patients.
Purpose The purpose of this study was to evaluate our results after arthroscopic debridement of TFCC tears in adolescents.
Materials and Methods We retrospectively identified all patients of 18 years or less, who received an arthroscopic TFCC debridement due to a traumatic or degenerative tear according to Palmer. These cases were clinically re-evaluated after a mean period of 6.7 years (SD ± 3.9 years). All patients completed the Modified Mayo Wrist Score (MMWS), Disabilities of the Arm, Shoulder and Hand (DASH) inventory, and Patient-Rated Wrist Evaluation (PRWE).
Results Thirteen adolescent patients (mean age: 15.6 ± 2.2 years at surgery) were included. The mean MMWS increased significantly from 70 ± 13.6 to 90 ± 6.5 after the TFCC debridement; mean postoperative DASH and PRWE scores of 17 ± 15.2 and 21 ± 18.5, respectively, indicated good and excellent outcomes for the majority of the cohort. The mean pain level decreased significantly from a mean of 5.7 ± 2.0 to 1.8 ± 2.0 at follow-up. Six patients needed a reoperation to achieve a successful outcome.
Conclusion Arthroscopic debridement of TFCC tears, performed as a concomitant wrist surgery in adolescents, efficiently reduced wrist pain and yielded good to excellent results in the long term. However, under certain circumstances, its results are unpredictable and further surgery may be necessary to eventually achieve the satisfying outcomes. Further studies are needed to confirm these findings.
Level of Evidence Level IV, therapeutic case series.
Keywordsadolescents - children - debridement - triangular fibrocartilage complex - resection - DRUJ
This work was performed at the Orthopedic Hospital Speising, Vienna, Austria.
- 1 Jeffries AO, Craigen MA, Stanley JK. Wear patterns of the articular cartilage and triangular fibrocartilaginous complex of the wrist: a cadaveric study. J Hand Surg Br 1994; 19 (03) 306-309
- 2 Farr S, Grill F, Ganger R, Graf A, Girsch W. Pathomorphologic findings of wrist arthroscopy in children and adolescents with chronic wrist pain. Arthroscopy 2012; 28 (11) 1634-1643
- 3 Chan JJ, Teunis T, Ring D. Prevalence of triangular fibrocartilage complex abnormalities regardless of symptoms rise with age: systematic review and pooled analysis. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2014; 472 (12) 3987-3994
- 4 Andersson JK, Lindau T, Karlsson J, Fridén J. Distal radio-ulnar joint instability in children and adolescents after wrist trauma. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2014; 39 (06) 653-661
- 5 Unglaub F, Kroeber MW, Thomas SB. , et al. Incidence and distribution of blood vessels in punch biopsies of Palmer 1A disc lesions in the wrist. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2009; 129 (05) 631-634
- 6 Infanger M, Grimm D. Meniscus and discus lesions of triangular fibrocartilage complex (TFCC): treatment by laser-assisted wrist arthroscopy. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2009; 62 (04) 466-471
- 7 Darlis NA, Weiser RW, Sotereanos DG. Arthroscopic triangular fibrocartilage complex debridement using radiofrequency probes. J Hand Surg Br 2005; 30 (06) 638-642
- 8 Tan SW, Ng SW, Tan SH, Teoh LC. Arthroscopic debridement of intercarpal ligament and triangular fibrocartilage complex tears. Singapore Med J 2012; 53 (03) 188-191
- 9 Minami A, Ishikawa J, Suenaga N, Kasashima T. Clinical results of treatment of triangular fibrocartilage complex tears by arthroscopic debridement. J Hand Surg Am 1996; 21 (03) 406-411
- 10 Husby T, Haugstvedt JR. Long-term results after arthroscopic resection of lesions of the triangular fibrocartilage complex. Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg 2001; 35 (01) 79-83
- 11 Osterman AL. Arthroscopic debridement of triangular fibrocartilage complex tears. Arthroscopy 1990; 6 (02) 120-124
- 12 Westkaemper JG, Mitsionis G, Giannakopoulos PN, Sotereanos DG. Wrist arthroscopy for the treatment of ligament and triangular fibrocartilage complex injuries. Arthroscopy 1998; 14 (05) 479-483
- 13 Cardenas-Montemayor E, Hartl JF, Wolf MB. , et al. Subjective and objective results of arthroscopic debridement of ulnar-sided TFCC (Palmer type 1B) lesions with stable distal radio-ulnar joint. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 2013; 133 (02) 287-293
- 14 Möldner M, Unglaub F, Hahn P, Müller LP, Bruckner T, Spies CK. Functionality after arthroscopic debridement of central triangular fibrocartilage tears with central perforations. J Hand Surg Am 2015; 40 (02) 252-258.e2
- 15 De Smet L, De Ferm A, Steenwerckx A, Dauwe D, Zachee B, Fabry G. Arthroscopic treatment of triangular fibrocartilage complex lesions of the wrist. Acta Orthop Belg 1996; 62 (01) 8-13
- 16 Nishizuka T, Tatebe M, Hirata H, Shinohara T, Yamamoto M, Iwatsuki K. Simple debridement has little useful value on the clinical course of recalcitrant ulnar wrist pain. Bone Joint J 2013; 95-B (12) 1687-1696
- 17 Farr S, Grill F, Girsch W. Wrist arthroscopy in children and adolescents: a single surgeon experience of thirty-four cases. Int Orthop 2012; 36 (06) 1215-1220
- 18 Farr S, Zechmann U, Ganger R, Girsch W. Clinical experience with arthroscopically-assisted repair of peripheral triangular fibrocartilage complex tears in adolescents–technique and results. Int Orthop 2015; 39 (08) 1571-1577
- 19 Terry CL, Waters PM. Triangular fibrocartilage injuries in pediatric and adolescent patients. J Hand Surg Am 1998; 23 (04) 626-634
- 20 Palmer AK. Triangular fibrocartilage complex lesions: a classification. J Hand Surg Am 1989; 14 (04) 594-606
- 21 Cooney WP, Bussey R, Dobyns JH, Linscheid RL. Difficult wrist fractures. Perilunate fracture-dislocations of the wrist. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1987; (214) 136-147
- 22 Cooney WP, Linscheid RL, Dobyns JH. Triangular fibrocartilage tears. J Hand Surg Am 1994; 19 (01) 143-154
- 23 Germann G, Wind G, Harth A. The DASH(Disability of Arm-Shoulder-Hand) Questionnaire–a new instrument for evaluating upper extremity treatment outcome [Article in German]. Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir 1999; 31 (03) 149-152
- 24 Hunsaker FG, Cioffi DA, Amadio PC, Wright JG, Caughlin B. The American academy of orthopaedic surgeons outcomes instruments: normative values from the general population. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2002; 84-A (02) 208-215
- 25 John M, Angst F, Awiszus F, Pap G, Macdermid JC, Simmen BR. The patient-rated wrist evaluation (PRWE): cross-cultural adaptation into German and evaluation of its psychometric properties. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2008; 26 (06) 1047-1058
- 26 Goslings JC, Gouma DJ. What is a surgical complication?. World J Surg 2008; 32 (06) 952
- 27 Miwa H, Hashizume H, Fujiwara K, Nishida K, Inoue H. Arthroscopic surgery for traumatic triangular fibrocartilage complex injury. J Orthop Sci 2004; 9 (04) 354-359
- 28 Jang E, Danoff JR, Rajfer RA, Rosenwasser MP. Revision wrist arthroscopy after failed primary arthroscopic treatment. J Wrist Surg 2014; 3 (01) 30-36
- 29 Farr S, Ganger R, Girsch W. A unique case of temporary epiphysiodesis in an adolescent patient with ulnocarpal impaction syndrome. J Hand Surg Eur Vol 2013; 38 (09) 1003-1004
- 30 De Smet L, Van Nuffel M, Koorneef P, Degreef I. Arthroscopic debridement with and without distal ulnar resection in the treatment of triangular fibrocartilage complex tears. Acta Orthop Belg 2014; 80 (01) 112-115
- 31 Tomaino MM, Weiser RW. Combined arthroscopic TFCC debridement and wafer resection of the distal ulna in wrists with triangular fibrocartilage complex tears and positive ulnar variance. J Hand Surg Am 2001; 26 (06) 1047-1052
- 32 Van Sanden S, De Smet L. Ulnar shortening after failed arthroscopic treatment of triangular fibrocartilage complex tears. Chir Main 2001; 20 (05) 332-336
- 33 Hulsizer D, Weiss AP, Akelman E. Ulna-shortening osteotomy after failed arthroscopic debridement of the triangular fibrocartilage complex. J Hand Surg Am 1997; 22 (04) 694-698
- 34 Broccoli G, Vaske B, Müller L, Kahmann R, Isenberg J. Limits to arthroscopic treatment of degenerative triangular fibrocartilage complex lesions depending on the ulnar variance [in German]. Handchir Mikrochir Plast Chir 2014; 46 (03) 151-162
- 35 Adams BD. Partial excision of the triangular fibrocartilage complex articular disk: a biomechanical study. J Hand Surg Am 1993; 18 (02) 334-340
- 36 Palmer AK, Werner FW, Glisson RR, Murphy DJ. Partial excision of the triangular fibrocartilage complex. J Hand Surg Am 1988; 13 (03) 391-394