Is Selfie a New Cause of Increasing Rhinoplasties?
28 July 2017 (online)
The digital world and social media are becoming increasingly important. Social media connect people together in a visual manner. Profile photographs are required by most social networking sites. A trend toward the increasing popularity of selfies on social media has rendered people more aware of their appearance. A selfie is a photograph that one takes of oneself, usually employing a smartphone or webcam, which is then shared on social media. Thus, the demand for aesthetic procedures correcting imperfections such as a prominent nose has increased, for which the technique is a rhinoplasty. Patients with reasonable expectations, treated by skilled surgeons, are usually very happy with the results. Rhinoplasty does not cure low self-esteem, but does correct more visible imperfections of the face. Although some hope that a rhinoplasty will resolve many unwanted facial features besides nose problems, it can only change the size and shape of the nose, improving its form. However, in the age of the selfie, everyone wants to look better. Self-consciousness is increasing, as are concerns over grooming and appearance at work and social events. These issues have become more important in recent years with the increase in selfie-taking; people are now more aware of how their nose appears to others. In this review, we discuss whether selfie-taking has triggered a rise in rhinoplasties along with a detailed survey of the literature.
There is no financial disclosure of the authors.
This is a review, and therefore there is no need for ethical approval.
This is a review, and therefore there is no need for informed consent.
The authors did not receive any funding for this study.
- 1 Are people getting rhinoplasty for the perfect “selfie”? http://www.bostonrhinoplastycenter.com/blog/people-getting-rhinoplasty-perfect-selfie (Accessed June 5, 2016)
- 2 A picture-perfect nose job: how the selfie is boosting demand for plastic surgery. http://qz.com/303917/a-picture-perfect-nose-job-how-the-selfie-is-boosting-demand-for-plastic-surgery/ (Accessed June 5, 2016)
- 3 Miller P. Is your selfie addiction a reason for rhinoplasty?. http://www.drphilipmiller.com/selfie-reason-for-rhinoplasty (Accessed June 5, 2016)
- 4 Mintz Z. Selfies and plastic surgery: how social media is causing more people to go under the knife for cosmetic purposes. International Business Time. http://www.ibtimes.com/selfies-plastic-surgery-how-social-media-causing-more-people-go-under-knife-cosmetic-1616916 (Accessed June 5, 2016)
- 5 Lee JA, Sung Y. Hide-and-seek: narcissism and “Selfie”-related behavior. Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw 2016; 19 (05) 347-351
- 6 Annual AAFPRS Survey Finds. 'Selfie' Trend Increases Demand for Facial Plastic Surgery: Survey Shows Increase in Cosmetic Procedures in the Under 30 Set. Annual AAFPRS Survey, PR Newswire Association LLC, New York; March 11, 2014. http://search.proquest.com/docview/1505451701?accountid=16369 (Accessed June 5, 2016)
- 7 Selfie. Oxford dictionary. http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/selfie (Accessed June 5, 2016)
- 8 Krause J. . Photo Idea Index, 2005: 148
- 9 Harrod H. The world's photo album, London. Sunday Telegraph; March 22, 2009 ; 18 (Accessed November 20, 2013)
- 10 Losse K. The return of the selfie. The New Yorker. June 5, 2013
- 11 Selfie. Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selfie (Accessed June 5, 2016)
- 12 Adewunmi B. The rise and rise of the 'selfie. The Guardian (London). April 2, 2013 (Accessed April 6, 2013)
- 13 McHugh J. Selfies' just as much for the insecure as show-offs. Bunbury Mail; April 3, 2013 (Accessed April 6, 2013)
- 14 Steinmetz K. Top 10 Buzzwords – 9 Selfie. Time 2012; 4
- 15 Hall M. Family albums fade as the young put only themselves in picture. Telegraph; June 13, 2013
- 16 Coulthard C. Self-portraits and social media: the rise of the 'selfie.' BBC News online. June 5, 2013 (Accessed April 6, 2013)
- 17 The Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year 2013 is…, OxfordWords blog. Blog.oxforddictionaries.com. November 18, 2013 (Accessed November 29, 2013)
- 18 Rızk SS. Popular Rhinoplasty and Facelift Questions. http://drsamrizk.com/blog/uncategorized/selfies-social-media-driving-cosmetic-surgery (Accessed online at June 5, 2016)
- 19 Reaney P. . The selfie is driving a huge demand for plastic surgery in the US: http://www.businessinsider.com/r-nip-tuck-click-demand-for-us-plastic-surgery-rises-in-selfie-era-2014-11 (Accessed June 5, 2016)
- 20 Ngo C. Surgery in the selfie age. The Express. News Limited; Liverpool, New South Wales; July 7, 2015. http://search.proquest.com/docview/1694003650?accountid=16369 (Accessed June 5, 2016)
- 21 Sunday online, Monday print: Posting to Facebook? Consider skipping the bikini selfie. Bangor Daily News, Bangor Publishing Company, United States; March 28, 2014. http://search.proquest.com/docview/1511119212?accountid=16369 (Accessed June 5, 2016)
- 22 Mulshine M. Women are documenting every step of their nose jobs in Instagram 'rhinoplasty diaries'. http://www.techinsider.io/nose-job-before-and-after-photos-are-all-over-instagram-2015-10 (Accessed June 5, 2016)