The Impact of Surgical Patent Ductus Arteriosus Closure on Autonomic Function in Premature Infants
14 October 2016
03 February 2017
10 March 2017 (online)
Background Patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) is a common complication of prematurity and a risk factor for poor outcome. Infants undergoing surgical PDA ligation are at highest risk for neurodevelopmental injury. Autonomic dysfunction has been described in premature infants with PDA.
Aim To interrogate the autonomic nervous system by analysis of advanced heart rate variability (HRV) metrics before and after surgical closure of the PDA.
Study Design Prospective, observational study.
Subjects Twenty-seven infants born before 28 weeks' gestation were included in this study.
Methods Continuous electrocardiogram data were sampled at a rate of 125 Hz for a total of 6 hours before and 6 hours after 30 hours of surgical closure. HRV was determined by detrended fluctuation analysis to calculate the short and long root mean square (RMSL and RMSS) and α components at two time scales (long and short).
Results Gestational age (GA) was positively associated with RMSL, RMSS, and αS and was negatively associated with αL. There was no difference between RMSs, RMSL, αS, or αL before and after surgery; however, median heart rate was lower after surgery (p < 0.01).
Conclusion Advancing GA is highly associated with increasing HRV; however, surgical ligation does not affect HRV in the postoperative period.
- 1 Hamrick SE, Hansmann G. Patent ductus arteriosus of the preterm infant. Pediatrics 2010; 125 (05) 1020-1030
- 2 Goudjil S, Imestouren F, Chazal C. , et al. Patent ductus arteriosus in preterm infants is associated with cardiac autonomic alteration and predominant parasympathetic stimulation. Early Hum Dev 2013; 89 (09) 631-634
- 3 Jain A, Shah PS. Diagnosis, evaluation, and management of patent ductus arteriosus in preterm neonates. JAMA Pediatr 2015; 169 (09) 863-872
- 4 Malviya M, Ohlsson A, Shah S. Surgical versus medical treatment with cyclooxygenase inhibitors for symptomatic patent ductus arteriosus in preterm infants. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2008; (01) CD003951 . Doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD003951.pub3
- 5 Schena F, Ciarmoli E, Mosca F. Patent ductus arteriosus: wait and see?. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2011; 24 (Suppl. 03) 2-4
- 6 Mitra S, Rønnestad A, Holmstrøm H. Management of patent ductus arteriosus in preterm infants--where do we stand?. Congenit Heart Dis 2013; 8 (06) 500-512
- 7 Abdel-Hady H, Nasef N, Shabaan AE, Nour I. Patent ductus arteriosus in preterm infants: do we have the right answers?. BioMed Res Int 2013; 2013: 676192 . Doi: 10.1155/2013/676192
- 8 Ulusar UD, Govindan RB, Wilson JD, Lowery CL, Preissl H, Eswaran H. Adaptive rule based fetal QRS complex detection using Hilbert transform. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2009; 2009: 4666-4669
- 9 Govindan RB, Al-Shargabi T, Metzler M, Andescavage NN, Joshi R, DuPlessis A. A spike correction approach for variability analysis of heart rate in sick infants. Physica A 2016; 444: 35-42
- 10 Govindan RB, Massaro AN, Al-Shargabi T. , et al. Detrended fluctuation analysis of non-stationary cardiac beat-to-beat interval of sick infants. EPL (Europhys Lett) 2014; 108: 1-6
- 11 Govindan RB, Massaro AN, Niforatos N, du Plessis A. Mitigating the effect of non-stationarity in spectral analysis-an application to neonate heart rate analysis. Comput Biol Med 2013; 43 (12) 2001-2006
- 12 Massaro AN, Govindan RB, Al-Shargabi T. , et al. Heart rate variability in encephalopathic newborns during and after therapeutic hypothermia. J Perinatol 2014; 34 (11) 836-841
- 13 Fenton TR, Kim JH. A systematic review and meta-analysis to revise the Fenton growth chart for preterm infants. BMC Pediatr 2013; 13: 59 . Doi: 10.1186/1471-2431-13-59
- 14 Krueger C, van Oostrom JH, Shuster J. A longitudinal description of heart rate variability in 28--34-week-old preterm infants. Biol Res Nurs 2010; 11 (03) 261-268
- 15 Reulecke S, Schulz S, Voss A. Autonomic regulation during quiet and active sleep states in very preterm neonates. Front Physiol 2012; 3: 61 . Doi: 10.3389/fphys.2012.00061
- 16 Longin E, Gerstner T, Schaible T, Lenz T, König S. Maturation of the autonomic nervous system: differences in heart rate variability in premature vs. term infants. J Perinat Med 2006; 34 (04) 303-308
- 17 Longin E, Schaible T, Demirakca S, Lenz T, König S. Heart rate variability during extracorporeal membrane oxygenation and recovery in severe neonatal disease. Early Hum Dev 2006; 82 (02) 135-142
- 18 Stock C, Teyssier G, Pichot V, Goffaux P, Barthelemy JC, Patural H. Autonomic dysfunction with early respiratory syncytial virus-related infection. Auton Neurosci 2010; 156 (1-2): 90-95
- 19 Harrison TM, Brown RL. Autonomic nervous system function in infants with transposition of the great arteries. Biol Res Nurs 2012; 14 (03) 257-268
- 20 Yiallourou SR, Witcombe NB, Sands SA, Walker AM, Horne RS. The development of autonomic cardiovascular control is altered by preterm birth. Early Hum Dev 2013; 89 (03) 145-152
- 21 Atchison DJ, Ackermann U. The interaction between atrial natriuretic peptide and cardiac parasympathetic function. J Auton Nerv Syst 1993; 42 (01) 81-88
- 22 Lemmers PM, Toet MC, van Bel F. Impact of patent ductus arteriosus and subsequent therapy with indomethacin on cerebral oxygenation in preterm infants. Pediatrics 2008; 121 (01) 142-147
- 23 Lemmers PM, Molenschot MC, Evens J, Toet MC, van Bel F. Is cerebral oxygen supply compromised in preterm infants undergoing surgical closure for patent ductus arteriosus?. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2010; 95 (06) F429-F434
- 24 Jim WT, Chiu NC, Chen MR. , et al. Cerebral hemodynamic change and intraventricular hemorrhage in very low birth weight infants with patent ductus arteriosus. Ultrasound Med Biol 2005; 31 (02) 197-202
- 25 Vanderhaegen J, De Smet D, Meyns B, Van De Velde M, Van Huffel S, Naulaers G. Surgical closure of the patent ductus arteriosus and its effect on the cerebral tissue oxygenation. Acta Paediatr 2008; 97 (12) 1640-1644
- 26 Van Bel F, Van de Bor M, Stijnen T, Baan J, Ruys JH. Cerebral blood flow velocity changes in preterm infants after a single dose of indomethacin: duration of its effect. Pediatrics 1989; 84 (05) 802-807
- 27 Leslie AT, Jain A, El-Khuffash A, Keyzers M, Rogerson S, McNamara PJ. Evaluation of cerebral electrical activity and cardiac output after patent ductus arteriosus ligation in preterm infants. J Perinatol 2013; 33 (11) 861-866
- 28 El Hajjar M, Vaksmann G, Rakza T, Kongolo G, Storme L. Severity of the ductal shunt: a comparison of different markers. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2005; 90 (05) F419-F422
- 29 Tuzcu V, Nas S, Ulusar U, Ugur A, Kaiser JR. Altered heart rhythm dynamics in very low birth weight infants with impending intraventricular hemorrhage. Pediatrics 2009; 123 (03) 810-815
- 30 Kantelhardt JW, Koscielny Bunde E, Rego HA, Havlin S, Bunde A. Detecting long-range correlations with detrended fluctuation analysis. Physica A 2001; 295: 441-445