Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia: The Side of Diaphragmatic Defect and Associated Nondiaphragmatic Malformations
02 November 2016
02 February 2017
16 March 2017 (online)
Background Congenital diaphragmatic hernia (CDH) has different clinical presentations depending on whether it is right sided (R-CDH) or left sided (L-CDH). Some have suggested that L-CDH and R-CDH may represent different syndromic phenotypes. This theory would be indirectly supported if different nondiaphragmatic anomalies were associated with laterality. We assessed whether CDH laterality is associated with specific types of nondiaphragmatic anomalies.
Methods Cases of CDH were retrospectively identified from five centers, and associated congenital anomalies, prenatal diagnosis, demographics, birth characteristics, and side of the CDH were analyzed. CDH characteristics were summarized according to the absence (isolated) or presence (complex) of nondiaphragmatic malformations.
Results Among 228 neonates with CDH, 140 (61%) had isolated CDH and 88 (39%) had complex CDH. Complex CDH was significantly associated with being small for gestational age (odds ratio [95% confidence interval, CI]: 8.3 [1.9–35.7]; p = 0.005) and having L-CDH (odds ratio [95% CI]: 3.6 [1.5–8.9]; p = 0.005). The overall proportion with anomalies differed by side (42% for L-CDH, 23% for R-CDH; p = 0.02), but the rates of anomalies in specific organ systems did not differ.
Conclusion The rate of associated nondiaphragmatic anomalies by specific organ system did not differ between L-CDH and R-CDH, which suggests that they represent the same phenotypic entity.
Keywordscongenital diaphragmatic hernia - congenital malformations - left-sided diaphragmatic defect - right-sided diaphragmatic defect
* R.G. and K.B. contributed equally to this article.
- 1 Tovar JA. Congenital diaphragmatic hernia. Orphanet J Rare Dis 2012; 7: 1 . Doi: 10.1186/1750-1172-7-1
- 2 Morini F, Valfrè L, Capolupo I, Lally KP, Lally PA, Bagolan P. ; Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Study Group. Congenital diaphragmatic hernia: defect size correlates with developmental defect. J Pediatr Surg 2013; 48 (06) 1177-1182
- 3 Yuan W, Rao Y, Babiuk RP, Greer JJ, Wu JY, Ornitz DM. A genetic model for a central (septum transversum) congenital diaphragmatic hernia in mice lacking Slit3. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2003; 100 (09) 5217-5222
- 4 Slavotinek AM, Warmerdam B, Lin AE, Shaw GM. Population-based analysis of left- and right-sided diaphragmatic hernias demonstrates different frequencies of selected additional anomalies. Am J Med Genet A 2007; 143A (24) 3127-3136
- 5 Mey J, Babiuk RP, Clugston R, Zhang W, Greer JJ. Retinal dehydrogenase-2 is inhibited by compounds that induce congenital diaphragmatic hernias in rodents. Am J Pathol 2003; 162 (02) 673-679
- 6 Holder AM, Klaassens M, Tibboel D, de Klein A, Lee B, Scott DA. Genetic factors in congenital diaphragmatic hernia. Am J Hum Genet 2007; 80 (05) 825-845
- 7 Bleyl SB, Moshrefi A, Shaw GM. , et al. Candidate genes for congenital diaphragmatic hernia from animal models: sequencing of FOG2 and PDGFRalpha reveals rare variants in diaphragmatic hernia patients. Eur J Hum Genet 2007; 15 (09) 950-958
- 8 Pober BR. Genetic aspects of human congenital diaphragmatic hernia. Clin Genet 2008; 74 (01) 1-15
- 9 Losty PD, Vanamo K, Rintala RJ, Donahoe PK, Schnitzer JJ, Lloyd DA. Congenital diaphragmatic hernia--does the side of the defect influence the incidence of associated malformations?. J Pediatr Surg 1998; 33 (03) 507-510
- 10 Skari H, Bjornland K, Frenckner B. , et al. Congenital diaphragmatic hernia in Scandinavia from 1995 to 1998: Predictors of mortality. J Pediatr Surg 2002; 37 (09) 1269-1275
- 11 Schaible T, Kohl T, Reinshagen K. , et al. Right- versus left-sided congenital diaphragmatic hernia: postnatal outcome at a specialized tertiary care center. Pediatr Crit Care Med 2012; 13 (01) 66-71
- 12 Azarow K, Messineo A, Pearl R, Filler R, Barker G, Bohn D. Congenital diaphragmatic hernia--a tale of two cities: the Toronto experience. J Pediatr Surg 1997; 32 (03) 395-400
- 13 Harrison MR, Bjordal RI, Langmark F, Knutrud O. Congenital diaphragmatic hernia: the hidden mortality. J Pediatr Surg 1978; 13 (03) 227-230
- 14 Duess JW, Zani-Ruttenstock EM, Garriboli M, Puri P, Pierro A, Hoellwarth ME. Outcome of right-sided diaphragmatic hernia repair: a multicentre study. Pediatr Surg Int 2015; 31 (05) 465-471
- 15 Grizelj R, Bojanić K, Vuković J. , et al; Croatian Diaphragmatic Hernia Study Group. Epidemiology and outcomes of congenital diaphragmatic hernia in Croatia: a population-based study. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol 2016; 30 (04) 336-345
- 16 Bebbington M, Victoria T, Danzer E. , et al. Comparison of ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging parameters in predicting survival in isolated left-sided congenital diaphragmatic hernia. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2014; 43 (06) 670-674
- 17 Knox E, Lissauer D, Khan K, Kilby M. Prenatal detection of pulmonary hypoplasia in fetuses with congenital diaphragmatic hernia: a systematic review and meta-analysis of diagnostic studies. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2010; 23 (07) 579-588
- 18 Mayer S, Klaritsch P, Petersen S. , et al. The correlation between lung volume and liver herniation measurements by fetal MRI in isolated congenital diaphragmatic hernia: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. Prenat Diagn 2011; 31 (11) 1086-1096
- 19 Albanese CT, Lopoo J, Goldstein RB. , et al. Fetal liver position and perinatal outcome for congenital diaphragmatic hernia. Prenat Diagn 1998; 18 (11) 1138-1142
- 20 Mullassery D, Ba'ath ME, Jesudason EC, Losty PD. Value of liver herniation in prediction of outcome in fetal congenital diaphragmatic hernia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2010; 35 (05) 609-614
- 21 Bouman NH, Koot HM, Tibboel D, Hazebroek FW. Children with congenital diaphragmatic hernia are at risk for lower levels of cognitive functioning and increased emotional and behavioral problems. Eur J Pediatr Surg 2000; 10 (01) 3-7
- 22 Benjamin DR, Juul S, Siebert JR. Congenital posterolateral diaphragmatic hernia: associated malformations. J Pediatr Surg 1988; 23 (10) 899-903
- 23 Lin AE, Pober BR, Adatia I. Congenital diaphragmatic hernia and associated cardiovascular malformations: type, frequency, and impact on management. Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet 2007; 145C (02) 201-216
- 24 Rasmussen SA, Olney RS, Holmes LB, Lin AE, Keppler-Noreuil KM, Moore CA. ; National Birth Defects Prevention Study. Guidelines for case classification for the National Birth Defects Prevention Study. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol 2003; 67 (03) 193-201
- 25 Graziano JN. ; Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Study Group. Cardiac anomalies in patients with congenital diaphragmatic hernia and their prognosis: a report from the Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Study Group. J Pediatr Surg 2005; 40 (06) 1045-1049 , discussion 1049–1050
- 26 Rubin DB. Inference and missing data. Biometrika 1976; 63: 581-592
- 27 Khoury MJ, Erickson JD, Cordero JF, McCarthy BJ. Congenital malformations and intrauterine growth retardation: a population study. Pediatrics 1988; 82 (01) 83-90
- 28 Pober BR, Lin A, Russell M. , et al. Infants with Bochdalek diaphragmatic hernia: sibling precurrence and monozygotic twin discordance in a hospital-based malformation surveillance program. Am J Med Genet A 2005; 138A (02) 81-88
- 29 Skari H, Bjornland K, Haugen G, Egeland T, Emblem R. Congenital diaphragmatic hernia: a meta-analysis of mortality factors. J Pediatr Surg 2000; 35 (08) 1187-1197