Subscribe to RSS
Does the Nose Have a Function Beyond Breathing?
10 February 2016 (online)
This article examines how functional nasal surgery can result in aesthetic improvement to the nose. We performed a literature search examining functional rhinoplasty with resultant aesthetic benefits. We also conducted a review of various techniques that can be used to correct functional nasal obstruction that also achieve aesthetic improvement(s).
Although there are data demonstrating improvements to quality of life after functional and aesthetic nasal surgery, there is limited work linking the close relationship between functional nasal surgery with resultant aesthetic improvements.
Functional rhinoplasty to correct nasal obstruction can also result in aesthetic improvements. Perhaps reconsideration of separating these closely tied issues is needed. A formal study looking at the degree of worsened, unchanged, and improved nasal aesthetics that occurs after true functional rhinoplasty, from both objective and subjective viewpoints, should be considered.
- 1 Parrilla C, Artuso A, Gallus R, Galli J, Paludetti G. The role of septal surgery in cosmetic rhinoplasty. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 2013; 33 (3) 146-153
- 2 Rhee JS, Poetker DM, Smith TL, Bustillo A, Burzynski M, Davis RE. Nasal valve surgery improves disease-specific quality of life. Laryngoscope 2005; 115 (3) 437-440
- 3 Rhee JS, McMullin BT. Outcome measures in facial plastic surgery: patient-reported and clinical efficacy measures. Arch Facial Plast Surg 2008; 10 (3) 194-207
- 4 Rhee JS, McMullin BT. Measuring outcomes in facial plastic surgery: a decade of progress. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2008; 16 (4) 387-393
- 5 Chisholm E, Jallali N. Rhinoplasty and septorhinoplasty outcome evaluation. Ear Nose Throat J 2012; 91 (3) E10-E14
- 6 Stewart MG, Witsell DL, Smith TL, Weaver EM, Yueh B, Hannley MT. Development and validation of the Nasal Obstruction Symptom Evaluation (NOSE) scale. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2004; 130 (2) 157-163
- 7 Palesy T, Pratt E, Mrad N, Marcells GN, Harvey RJ. Airflow and patient-perceived improvement following rhinoplastic correction of external nasal valve dysfunction. JAMA Facial Plast Surg 2015; 17 (2) 131-136
- 8 ICR 2013 AAFPRS Membership Study. Reported Feb 2014. International Communications Research, Media PA
- 9 DeRosa J. Open rhinoplasty. In: Cheney MC, Hadlock T, , eds. Facial Surgery: Plastic and Reconstructive. 2nd ed. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press; 2014: 365-386
- 10 Most SP, Murakami CS. Nasal osteotomies: anatomy, planning, and technique. Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am 2002; 10 (3) 279-285
- 11 Toriumi DM. Management of the middle nasal vault in rhinoplasty. Op Tech Plastic Recon Surg 1995; 2: 16-30
- 12 DeRosa J, Watson D, Toriumi DM. Structural grafting in secondary rhinoplasty. In: Rohrich RJ, Adams WP, Ahmad J, Gunter JP, , eds. Dallas Rhinoplasty: Nasal Surgery by the Masters. 3rd ed. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press; 2014: 869-898
- 13 DeRosa J. Surgery of the nasal septum. In: Cheney MC, Hadlock T, , eds. Facial Surgery: Plastic and Reconstructive. 2nd ed. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press; 2014: 325-335
- 14 Toriumi DM. New concepts in nasal tip contouring. Arch Facial Plast Surg 2006; 8 (3) 156-185