Bowel Obstruction: Sonographic Evaluation
18 September 2014
27 January 2015
23 April 2015 (eFirst)
Sonographic examination concept in the case of suspicion of bowel obstruction.
Recognition of the sonographic criteria of a bowel obstruction.
Ability to detect the level of a bowel obstruction.
Sonographic detection of typical causes of bowel obstruction.
Detection of sonographic signs of complicated bowel obstruction.
Ability to sonographically define important differential diagnoses.
Further diagnostic procedures in unclear situations.
- 1 Markogiannakis H, Messaris E, Dardamanis D et al. Acute mechanical bowel obstruction: Clinical presentation, etiology, management and outcome. World J Gastroenterol 2007; 13: 432-437
- 2 Hucl T. Acute GI obstruction. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 2013; 27: 691-707
- 3 Chevallier P, Denys A, Schmidt S et al. Value of CT in small-bowel obstruction. J Radiol 2004; 85: 541-551
- 4 Zielinski MD, Bannon MP. Current management of small bowel obstruction. Adv Surg 2011; 45: 1-29
- 5 Zielinski MD, Eiken PW, Bannon MP et al. Small bowel obstruction-who needs an operation? A multivariate prediction model. World J Surg 2010; 34: 910-919
- 6 Chen SC, Lin FY, Lee PH et al. Water-soluble contrast study predicts the need for early surgery in adhesive small bowel obstruction. Br J Surg 1998; 85: 1692-1694
- 7 Torreggiani WC, Harris AC, Lyburn ID et al. Computed tomography of acute small bowel obstruction: pictorial essay. Can Assoc Radiol J 2003; 54: 93-99
- 8 Suri S, Gupta S, Sudhakar PJ et al. Comparative evaluation of plain films, ultrasound and CT in the diagnosis of intestinal obstruction. Acta Radiol 1999; 40: 422-428
- 9 Stoker J, van Randen A, Laméris W et al. Imaging patients with acute abdominal pain. Radiology 2009; 253: 31-46
- 10 Scheible W, Goldberger LE. Diagnosis of small bowel obstruction: the contribution of diagnostic ultrasound. Am J Roentgenol 1979; 133: 685-688
- 11 Meiser G, Meissner K. Sonographic differential diagnosis of intestinal obstruction. Results of a prospective study of 48 patients. J Ultrasound Med 1985; 6: 39-45
- 12 Seitz K, Merz M. Ultrasound ileus diagnosis. Ultraschall in Med 1998; 19: 242-249
- 13 Schmutz GR, Benko A, Fournier L et al. Small bowel obstruction: role and contribution of sonography. Eur Radiol 1997; 7: 1054-1058
- 14 Ogata M, Mateer JR, Condon RE. Prospective evaluation of abdominal sonography for the diagnosis of bowel obstruction. Ann Surg 1996; 223: 237-241
- 15 Ko YT, Lim JH, Lee DH et al. Small bowel obstruction: sonographic evaluation. Radiology 1993; 188: 649-653
- 16 Silva AC, Pimenta M, Guimarães LS. Small bowel obstruction: what to look for. RadioGraphics 2009; 29: 423-439
- 17 Hwang JY, Lee JK, Lee JE et al. Value of multidetector CT in decision making regarding surgery in patients with small-bowel obstruction due to adhesion. Eur Radiol 2009; 19: 2425-2431
- 18 Marincek B. Nontraumatic abdominal emergencies: acute abdominal pain: diagnostic strategies. Eur Radiol 2002; 12: 2136-2150
- 19 Farid M, Fikry A, El Nakeeb A et al. Clinical impacts of oral gastrografin follow-through in adhesive small bowel obstruction (SBO). J Surg Res 2010; 162: 170-176
- 20 Di Saverio S, Catena F, Ansaloni L et al. Water-soluble contrast medium (gastrografin) value in adhesive small intestine obstruction (ASIO): a prospective, randomized, controlled, clinical trial. World J Surg 2008; 32: 2293-2304
- 21 Choi HK, Chu KW, Law WL. Therapeutic value of gastrografin in adhesive small bowel obstruction after unsuccessful conservative treatment: a prospective randomized trial. Ann Surg 2002; 236: 1-6
- 22 Hollerweger A. Colonic diseases: the value of US examination. Eur J Radiol 2007; 64: 239-249
- 23 Dietrich CF (Editor). Ultraschall-Kurs, 6. Auflage; Deutscher Ärzte-Verlag, 2012
- 24 Puylaert JBCM. Acute appendicitis: US evaluation using graded compression. Radiology 1986; 158: 355-360
- 25 Hollerweger A. Acute appendicitis: sonographic evaluation. Ultraschall in Med 2006; 27: 412-426
- 26 Grassi R, Romano S, D'Amario F et al. The relevance of free fluid between intestinal loops detected by sonography in the clinical assessment of small bowel obstruction in adults. Eur J Radiol 2004; 50: 5-14
- 27 Chen SC, Lee CC, Hsu CY et al. Progressive increase of bowel wall thickness is a reliable indicator for surgery in patients with adhesive small bowel obstruction. Dis Colon Rectum 2005; 48: 1764-1771
- 28 Lee DH, Lim JH, Ko YT. Afferent loop syndrome: sonographic findings in seven cases. Am J Roentgenol 1991; 157: 41-43
- 29 Mayo-Smith WW, Wittenberg J, Bennett GL et al. The CT small bowel faeces sign: description and clinical significance. Clin Radiol 1995; 50: 765-767
- 30 Buljevac M, Busic Z, Cabrijan Z. Sonographic diagnosis of gallstone ileus. J Ultrasound Med 2004; 23: 1395-1398
- 31 Rettenbacher T, Hollerweger A, Macheiner P et al. Abdominal wall hernias: cross-sectional imaging signs of incarceration determined with sonography. Am J Roentgenol 2001; 177: 1061-1066
- 32 Ihedioha U, Alani A, Modak P et al. Hernias are the most common cause of strangulation in patients presenting with small bowel obstruction. Hernia 2006; 10: 338-340
- 33 Balthazar EJ, Birnbaum BA, Megibow AJ et al. Closed-loop and strangulating intestinal obstruction: CT signs. Radiology 1992; 185: 769-775
- 34 Ogata M, Imai S, Hosotani R et al. Abdominal ultrasonography for the diagnosis of strangulation in small bowel obstruction. Br J Surg 1994; 81: 421-424
- 35 Cho KC, Hoffman-Tretin JC, Alterman DD. Closed-loop obstruction of the small bowel: CT and sonographic appearance. J Comput Assist Tomogr 1989; 13: 256-258
- 36 Czechowski J. Conventional radiography and ultrasonography in the diagnosis of small bowel obstruction and strangulation. Acta Radiol 1996; 37: 186-189
- 37 Cozza S, Ferrari FS, Stefani P et al. Ileal occlusion with strangulation: importance of ultrasonography findings of the dilated loop with intraluminal fluid-fluid resulting from sedimentation. Radiol Med 1996; 92: 394-397
- 38 Macheiner P, Hollerweger A, Rettenbacher T et al. Tumours of the large bowel and rectum: possibilities and limitations of sonographic evaluation. Ultraschall in Med 2007; 28: 301-306
- 39 Dietrich CF, Brunner V, Seifert H et al. Intestinal B-mode sonography in patients with endemic sprue. Ultraschall in Med 1999; 20: 242-247
- 40 Lim JH, Ko YT, Lee DH et al. Determining the site and causes of colonic obstruction with sonography. Am J Roentgenol 1994; 163: 1113-1117
- 41 Ogata M, Imai S, Hosotani R et al. Abdominal sonography for the diagnosis of large bowel obstruction. Surg Today 1994; 24: 791-794