Successful Weaning from Extracorporal Circulation Using a Pumpless Extracorporal Lung Assist Device in a Patient with Intraoperative Hypercapnic Lung Failure during Aortic Valve Replacement
16 January 2011
07 February 2011
08 February 2011
25 March 2011 (online)
We present a case of a 59-year-old female suffering from massive pulmonary edema with consecutive hypercapnic lung failure immediately following elective aortic valve replacement. Due to severe restrictive ventilation disorder, mechanical ventilation was inadequate. A pumpless lung assist (PECLA, iLA, Novalung®, Talheim, Germany) – a device for extracorporeal carbon dioxide elimination – was used for successful weaning from extracorporeal circulation (ECC). Within 24 hours respiratory function had normalized and the patient could be extubated. The further clinical course and follow-up at 3 months remained uneventful. This report describes the first intraoperative use of the PECLA device in a cardiac surgery patient to promote weaning from ECC.
Key wordsairway (includes related subject matter) - extracorporeal membrane oxygenation, ECMO - pulmonary function
* Both authors contributed equally to this work.
- 1 Louagie Y, Gonzalez E, Jamart J, Bulliard G, Schoevaerdts JC. Postcardiopulmonary bypass lung edema. A preventable complication?. Chest 1993; 103: 86-95
- 2 Koch C, Li L, Figueroa P , et al. Transfusion and pulmonary morbidity after cardiac surgery. Ann Thorac Surg 2009; 88: 1410-1418
- 3 Meyer AL, Strueber M, Tomaszek S , et al. Temporary cardiac support with a mini-circuit system consisting of a centrifugal pump and a membrane ventilator. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2009; 9 (5) 780-783 Epub 2009 Aug 11. PubMed PMID: 19671580
- 4 Lindstrom SJ, Pellegrino VA, Butt WW. Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Med J Aust 2009; 191 (3) 178-182
- 5 Doll N, Fabricius A, Borger MA , et al. Temporary extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in patients with refractory postoperative cardiogenic shock – a single center experience. J Card Surg 2003; 18 (6) 512-518
- 6 Florchinger B, Philipp A, Klose A , et al. Pumpless extracorporeal lung assist: a 10-year institutional experience. Ann Thorac Surg 2008; 86: 410-417