Subscribe to RSS
Lip and Perioral Trauma
17 November 2010 (online)
The management of perioral injuries is a complex topic that must take into consideration the unique anatomy, histology, and function of the lips to best restore form and function of the mouth after injury. Basic reconstructive principles include three-layered closure for full-thickness lip lacerations. Additionally, special care is needed to ensure an aesthetic repair of the cosmetically complex and important vermillion border, philtrum, and Cupid's bow. Infraorbital and mental nerve blocks provide lip anesthesia for laceration repair without distorting crucial aesthetic landmarks. Prophylactic antibiotics are usually indicated in perioral injuries due to wound contamination with saliva. Perioral burn management is controversial; however, most lip burns can first be managed conservatively. Splinting, plasties, and other reconstructive options are available after secondary healing of perioral burns. Hypertrophic scars are common in the perioral area after trauma. The mainstays of treatment for hypertrophic scars on the lips are silicone elastomer sheeting and intralesional steroid injections. For large perioral defects, a myriad of reconstructive options are available, ranging from primary closure, cross-lip flaps, and local tissue transfer, to free tissue transfers such as radial forearm free flaps, innervated gracilis free flaps, anterolateral thigh free flaps, and osteocutaneous free flaps.
Oral - lip - trauma - burn - laceration - reconstruction
1 Shumrick K, Chadwell J.
Facial trauma: Soft-tissue lacerations and burns. In: Cummings C, Flint P, Haughey B, et al Cummings: Otolaryngology: Head and Neck Surgery. 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA; Mosby 2005 Available at: http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/198146697-5/0/1263/235.html Accessed April 27, 2010
- 2 Bickley L S, Szilagyi P G. Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking. 8th ed. Philadelphia, PA; Lippincott Williams & Wilkins 2003: 128-131
- 3 Ross M H. Histology: A Text and Atlas. 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA; Lippincott Williams & Wilkins 2003: 506
- 4 Ham A W. Histology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, PA; Lippincott 1987: 477
- 5 Ozols I, Furn R. Gray's Anatomy. 39th ed. Philadelphia, PA; Elsevier 2005: 497-517
- 6 Brown D J, Jaffe J E, Henson J K. Advanced laceration management. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2007; 25 83-99
7 Amsterdam J, Kilgore K.
Regional anesthesia of the head and neck. In: Roberts J, Hedges J, Custalow C, et al Roberts: Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine. 5th ed. Philadelphia, PA; Saunders 2010 Available at: http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/198146697-10/0/2083/264.html?tocnode=57727057&fromURL=264.html#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-3623-4.00030-4_1414 Accessed April 27, 2010
- 8 Armstrong B D. Lacerations of the mouth. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2000; 18 471-480, vi
- 9 Moreira M E, Markovchick V J. Wound management. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 2007; 25 873-899, xi
- 10 Mantilla Gómez S, Danser M M, Sipos P M, Rowshani B, van der Velden U, van der Weijden G A. Tongue coating and salivary bacterial counts in healthy/gingivitis subjects and periodontitis patients. J Clin Periodontol. 2001; 28 970-978
- 11 Moscati R M, Mayrose J, Reardon R F, Janicke D M, Jehle D V. A multicenter comparison of tap water versus sterile saline for wound irrigation. Acad Emerg Med. 2007; 14 404-409
- 12 Hollander J E, Richman P B, Werblud M, Miller T, Huggler J, Singer A J. Irrigation in facial and scalp lacerations: does it alter outcome?. Ann Emerg Med. 1998; 31 73-77
- 13 Perelman V S, Francis G J, Rutledge T, Foote J, Martino F, Dranitsaris G. Sterile versus nonsterile gloves for repair of uncomplicated lacerations in the emergency department: a randomized controlled trial. Ann Emerg Med. 2004; 43 362-370
- 14 Schultz R C. Facial Injuries. 3rd ed. Chicago, IL; Year Book Medical Publishers 1998: 198-199
- 15 Fairbanks D. Pocket Guide to Antimicrobial Therapy in Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery. 12th ed. Alexandria, VA; American Academy of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery Foundation 2005: 66-72
16 Gould J, Rodgers G.
Topical antimicrobial agents. In: Long S, Pickering L, Prober C Long: Principles and Practice of Pediatric Infectious Diseases. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, PA; Churchill Livingstone 2008 Available at: http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/221369877-7/1064205765/1679/298.html#4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06687-0.50297-6_5380 Accessed April 27, 2010
- 17 Jones T R, Kaulbach H, Nichter L, Edlich R F, Cantrell R W. Efficacy of an antibiotic mouthwash in contaminated head and neck surgery. Am J Surg. 1989; 158 324-327
- 18 American Burn Association/American College of Surgeons . Guidelines for the operation of burn centers. J Burn Care Res. 2007; 28 134-141
- 19 Egeland B, More S, Buchman S R, Cederna P S. Management of difficult pediatric facial burns: reconstruction of burn-related lower eyelid ectropion and perioral contractures. J Craniofac Surg. 2008; 19 960-969
- 20 Cole J K, Engrav L H, Heimbach D M et al.. Early excision and grafting of face and neck burns in patients over 20 years. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2002; 109 1266-1273
- 21 Thomas S S. Electrical burns of the mouth: still searching for an answer. Burns. 1996; 22 137-140
- 22 Dougherty M E, Warden G DA. A thirty-year review of oral appliances used to manage microstomia, 1972 to 2002. J Burn Care Rehabil. 2003; 24 418-431, discussion 410
- 23 Converse J M, McCarthy J G, Littler J W. Reconstructive Plastic Surgery: Principles and Procedures in Correction, Reconstruction and Transplantation. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, PA; Saunders 1977: 1570
- 24 Pensler J M, Rosenthal A. Reconstruction of the oral commissure after an electrical burn. J Burn Care Rehabil. 1990; 11 50-53
- 25 Berman B, Perez O A, Konda S et al.. A review of the biologic effects, clinical efficacy, and safety of silicone elastomer sheeting for hypertrophic and keloid scar treatment and management. Dermatol Surg. 2007; 33 1291-1302 discussion 1302-1303
- 26 Jalali M, Bayat A. Current use of steroids in management of abnormal raised skin scars. Surgeon. 2007; 5 175-180
- 27 Sproat J E, Dalcin A, Weitauer N, Roberts R S. Hypertrophic sternal scars: silicone gel sheet versus Kenalog injection treatment. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1992; 90 988-992
28 Renner G.
Reconstruction of the lip. In: Baker SR Local Flaps in Facial Reconstruction. 2nd ed. St. Louis, MO; Mosby 1995: 345-396
29 DeFatta R, Williams III E.
Lip reconstruction. In: Papel I, Frodel J, Holt GR, et al Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 3rd ed. New York, NY; Thieme Medical Publishers 2009: 841-854
30 Sykes J.
Diagnosis and treatment of cleft lip and palate deformities. In: Papel I, Frodel J, Holt GR, et al Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2nd ed. New York, NY; Thieme Medical Publishers 2002: 813-829
- 31 Emery B, Sykes J, Senders C. Diagnosis and treatment of secondary unilateral cleft lip deformities. Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am. 1996; 4 311-321
- 32 Tirone L, Moscatiello F, Molea G. Reconstruction of the upper lip and philtrum. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2006; 59 865-866
- 33 Bento M, Carmo L, Trigo M, Rebelo N, Garcia P. The island nasolabial flap in philtrum reconstruction after bite avulsion: a case report. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2009; 62 e487-e489
- 34 Pickrell K, Masters F, Georgiade N, Horton C. Restoration of lip contour using fascia, tendon and dermal grafts. Correction of flat lip deformity. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1954; 14 126-137
- 35 Rhee S T, Colville C, Buchman S R. Conservative management of large avulsions of the lip and local landmarks. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2004; 20 40-42
- 36 Daya M, Nair V. Free radial forearm flap lip reconstruction: a clinical series and case reports of technical refinements. Ann Plast Surg. 2009; 62 361-367
- 37 Serletti J M, Tavin E, Moran S L, Coniglio J U. Total lower lip reconstruction with a sensate composite radial forearm-palmaris longus free flap and a tongue flap. Plast Reconstr Surg. 1997; 99 559-561
- 38 Jeng S F, Kuo Y R, Wei F C, Su C Y, Chien C Y. Total lower lip reconstruction with a composite radial forearm-palmaris longus tendon flap: a clinical series. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2004; 113 19-23
- 39 Ninkovic M, Spanio di Spilimbergo S, Ninkovic M. Lower lip reconstruction: introduction of a new procedure using a functioning gracilis muscle free flap. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007; 119 1472-1480
- 40 Yildirim S, Gideroğlu K, Aydogdu E, Avci G, Akan M, Aköz T. Composite anterolateral thigh-fascia lata flap: a good alternative to radial forearm-palmaris longus flap for total lower lip reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006; 117 2033-2041
Lisa Danielle GrunebaumM.D.
Assistant Professor of Otolaryngology/Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Dermatology
University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, 1450 NW 10th Avenue, Miami, FL 33136