© Georg Thieme Verlag KG Stuttgart · New York
Psychopathological Rating Scales as Efficacy Parameters in Adult ADHD Treatment Investigations – Benchmarking Instruments for International Multicentre Trials
02 February 2010 (eFirst)
Introduction: The selection of appropriate instruments in clinical studies is an essential point to detect the effects of pharmacological and/or psychotherapeutic treatments.
Methods: We performed a Medline search to identify the controlled pharmacological treatment studies and controlled and open psychotherapeutic investigations since 1999 in adult ADHD. The efficacy parameters were collected in order to compare their psychometric properties and psychopathological content.
Results: We identified 21 pharmacological and 6 psychotherapeutic treatment studies. The ADHD-Rating Scale-IV (ADHD-RS-IV), the Conners Adult ADHD Rating Scale-Observer Version (CAARS-O), and the Wender Reimherr Adult Attention Disorder Rating Scale (WRAADDS) are the clinical expert rating scales, which were used most frequently. The Conners Adult ADHD Rating Scale-Self -Report: Short Version (CAARS-S:S) and the Adult ADHD Self-Report Scale (ASRS) are self-report rating instruments which have found general acceptance.
Discussion: The instruments offer appropriate psychometric properties. The psychopathological item content of the ADHD-RS-IV and the CAARS-O is focused on inattention, impulsivity and hyperactivity. The WRAADDS comprises additionally emotional symptoms and disorganization.
- 1 Adler LA, Spencer T, Faraone SV. et al . Training raters to assess adult ADHD: Reliability of ratings. J Attent Disord. 2005; 8 121-126
- 2 Adler LA, Spencer T, Faraone SV. et al . Validity of a pilot adult ADHD self-report scale (ASRS) to rate adult ADHD symptoms. Ann Clin Psychiatry. 2006; 18 145-148
- 3 Adler LA, Spencer DJ, Wiliams DW. et al . Long-term, open-label safety and efficacy of atomoxetine in adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: final report of a 4-year study. Pharmacopsychiatry. 2007; 40 247
- 4 Adler LA, Faraone SV, Spencer TJ. et al . The reliability and validity of self- and investigator ratings of ADHD in adults. J Atten Disord. 2008; 11 711-718
- 5 Adler LA, Spencer T, Brown TE. et al . Once-daily atomoxetine for adult attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. J Clin Psychopharmacology. 2009; 29 44-50
- 6 Biederman J, Mick E, Faraone S. Age-dependent decline of symptoms of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: Impact of remission definition and symptom type. Am J Psychiatry. 2000; 157 816-818
- 7 Biederman J, Spencer TJ, Wilens TE. et al . Long-term safety and effectiveness of mixed amphetamine salts extended release in adults with ADHD. CNS Spectrum. 2005; 10 16-25
- 8 Biederman J, Mick E, Surman C. et al . A randomized, placebo-controlled trial of OROS methylphenidate in adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Biol Psychiatry. 2006; 59 829-835
- 9 Bramham J, Young S, Bickerdike A. et al . Evaluation of group cognitive behavioral therapy for adults with ADHD. J Atten Disord. 2008; 12 434-441
- 10 Brotman MA, Schmajuk M, Rich BA. et al . Prevalence, clinical correlates, and longitudinal course of severe mood dysregulation in children. Biol Psychiatry. 2006; 60 991-997
- 11 Brown TE.
Brown attention-deficit disorder scales for adolescents and adults. Psychological Corporation, USA 1966
- 12 Conners CK, Erhardt D, Sparrow E.
CAARS – Adult ADHD Rating Scales – Technical Manual. MHS New York 1999
- 13 Dorego MF, Canevaro L, Kuzis G. et al . A randomized, double-blind, crossover study of methylphenidate and lithium in adults with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder: Preliminary findings. J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2002; 14 289-295
- 14 DuPaul G, Power T, Anastopoulos A. et al .
ADHD Rating Scale-IV: Checklist, norms, and clinical interpretation. Guilford, New York 1998
- 15 EMEA – European Medicinal Agency . Guideline on the clinical investigation of medicinal products for the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) (draft). 2009; http://www.emea.europa.eu
- 16 Faraone S, Spencer T, Aleardi M. et al . Meta-analysis of the efficacy of methylpheridate for treating adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2004; 24 24-29
- 17 Gibbins C, Weiss M. Clinical recommendations in current practice guidelines in diagnosis and treatment of ADHD in adults. Cur Psychiatry Rep. 2007; 9 420-426
- 18 Jain U, Hechtman L, Weiss M. et al . Efficacy of a novel biphasic controlled-release methylphenidate formula in adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: Results of a double-blind. placebo-controlled crossover study. J Clin Psychiatry. 2007; 68 268-277
- 19 Kessler RC, Adler L, Ames M. et al . The World Health Organization adult ADHD self-report scale (ASRS): a short screening scale for use in the general population. Psychol Medicine. 2005; 35 245-256
- 20 Kooij JJ, Burger H, Boonstra AM. et al . Efficacy and safety of methylphenidate in 45 adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. A randomized placebo-controlled double-blind cross-over trial. Psychol Medicine. 2004; 34 973-982
- 21 Kuperman S, Perry PJ, Gaffney GR. et al . Bupropion SR vs methylphenidate vs. placebo for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in adults. Ann Clin Psychiatry. 2001; 13 129-133
- 22 McGough JJ, Barkley RA. Diagnostic controversies in adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 2004; 161 1948-1956
- 23 McGough JJ, McCracken JT. Adult attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: Moving beyond DSM-IV. Am J Psychiatry. 2006; 163 1673-1675
- 24 Medori R, Ramos-Quidroga J, Casas M. et al . A randomized placebo-controlled trial of three fixed dosages of prolonged-release OROS-methylphenidate in adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Biol Psychiatry. 2008; 15 981-989
- 25 Michelson D, Adler L, Spencer T. et al . Atomoxetine in adults with ADHD. Two randomized, placebo-controlled studies. Biol Psychiatry. 2003; 15 112-120
- 26 Murphy KR, Adler LA. Assessing attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in adults: Focus on rating scales. J Clin Psychiatry. 2004; 65 ((Suppl 3)) 12-17
- 27 Murphy P, Schachar R. Use of self-ratings in the assessment of symptoms of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in adults. Am J Psychiatry. 2000; 157 1156-1159
- 28 Paterson R, Douglas C, Hallmayer J. et al . A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of dexamphetamine in adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 1999; 33 494-502
- 29 Philipsen A, Richter H, Peters J. Structured group psychotherapy in adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: Results of an open multicenter study. J Nerv Ment Dis. 2007; 195 1013-1019
- 30 Philipsen A, Trott GE, Rösler M. et al . Open-label extension trial of the safety and tolerability of OROS methylphenidate in adults with ADHD – long acting methylphenidate in adult ADHD (Lamda) trial. Pharmacopsychiatry. 2007; 40 247-248
- 31 Reimherr FW, Marchant BK, Strong RE. et al . Emotional dysregulation in adult ADHD and response to atomoxetine. Biol Psychiatry. 2005; 58 125-131
- 32 Reimherr FW, Williams ED, Strong RE. et al . A double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study of osmotic release oral system methylphenidate in adults with ADHD with assessment of oppositional and emotional dimensions of the disorder. J Clin Psychiatry. 2007; 68 93-101
- 33 Rösler M, Retz W, Retz-Junginger P. et al . Instrumente zur Diagnostik der Aufmerksamkeitsdefizit-/Hyperaktivitätsstörung im Erwachsenenalter: Selbstbeurteilungsskala (ADHS-SB) und Diagnose Checkliste (ADHS-CL). Nervenarzt. 2004; 75 888-895
- 34 Rösler M, Retz W, Thome J. et al . Psychopathological rating scales for diagnostic use in adults with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2006; 256 ((Suppl 1)) 3-11
- 35 Rösler M, Trott GE, Philipsen A. et al . Efficacy and safety of OROS methylphenidate in adults with ADHD: the long acting methylphenidate in adult ADHD (Lamda) trial. Pharmacopsychiatry. 2007; 40 248
- 36 Rösler M, Retz-Junginger P, Retz W. et al .
HASE – Homburger ADHS Skalen für Erwachsene. Hogrefe, Göttingen 2008a
- 37 Rösler M, Retz W, Retz-Junginger P. et al . ADHS-Diagnose bei Erwachsenen. Nervenarzt. 2008; 79 320-327
- 38 Rösler M, Fischer R, Ammer R. et al . A randomized, placebo-controlled, 24-week, study of low-dose extended-release methylphenidate in adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Eur Arch Psychiat Clin Neurosci. 2009; 258 120-129
- 39 Roessner V, Becker A, Rothenberger A. et al . A cross-cultural comparison between samples of Brazilian and German children with ADHD/HD using the Child Behavior Checklist. Eur Arch Psychiat Clin Neurosci. 2007; 257 352-359
- 40 Rostain AL, Ramsay JR. A combined treatment approach for adults with ADHD-results of an open study of 43 patients. J Attention Disorder. 2006; 10 150-159
- 41 Safren SA, Otto MW, Sprich S. et al . Cognitive-behavioral therapy for ADHD in medication-treated adults with continued symptoms. Behav Res Ther. 2005; 43 831-842
- 42 Spencer T, Adler LA. Diagnostic approaches to adult ADHD. Prim Psychiatry. 2004; 11 49-56
- 43 Spencer T, Biederman J, Wilens TE. et al . Efficacy of a mixed amphetamine salts compound in adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2001; 58 775-782
- 44 Spencer T, Biederman J, Wilens T. et al . A large, double-blind, randomized clinical trial of methylphenidate in the treatment of adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Biol Psychiat. 2005; 57 456-463
- 45 Spencer TJ, Adler LA, McGough JJ. et al . Efficacy and safety of dexmeythlphenidate extended-release capsules in adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Biol Psychiatry. 2007; 61 1380-1387
- 46 Spencer TJ, Adler LA, Weisler RH. et al . Triple-bead mixed amphetamine salts (SPD465) a novel, enhanced extended-release amphetamine formulation for the treatment of adults with ADHD A randomized, double-blind, multicenter, placebo-controlled study. J Clin Psychiatry. 2008; 69 1437-1448
- 47 Stevenson CS, Whitmont S, Bornholt L. et al . A cognitive remediation programme for adults with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2002; 36 610-661
- 48 Stieglitz RD, Rösler M. Diagnosis of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in adults. Z Psychiat Psychol Psychother. 2006; 54 87-98
- 49 Taylor F, Russo J. Efficacy of modafinil compared to dextroamphetamine for the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in adults. J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacology. 2000; 10 311-320
- 50 Walcott CM, Landau S. The relation between disinhibition and emotional regulation in boys with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. J Clin Child Adolesc Psychol. 2004; 33 772-782
- 51 Weisler RH, Biederman J, Spencer TJ. et al . Mixed amphetamine salts extended-release in the treatment of adult ADHD: A randomised, controlled trial. CNS Spectrum. 2005; 11 625-639
- 52 Weiss M, Hechtman L. The adult ADHD research group . A randomized double-blind trial of paroxetine and/or dextroamphetamine and problem-focused therapy for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder in adults. J Clin Psychiatry. 2006; 67 611-619
- 53 Wender PH.
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder in adults. Oxford, New York 1995
- 54 Wilens TE, Spencer TJ, Biederman J. et al . A controlled clinical trial of bupropion for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in adults. Am J Psychiatry. 2001; 158 282-288
- 55 Wilens TE, Verlinden MH, Adler LA. et al . ABT-089, a neuronal nicotinic receptor partial agonist, for the treatment of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder in adults: results of a pilot study. Biol Psychiatry. 2006; 59 1065-1070
- 56 Woo BS, Rey JM. The validity of the DSM-IV subtypes of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Aust NZ J Psychiatry. 2005; 39 344-353
- 57 Zylowska L, Ackerman DL, Yang MH. et al . Mindfulness meditation training in adults and adolescents with ADHD: A feasibility study. J Attent Disord. 2008; 11 737-746
Prof. Dr. M. Rösler
Prof. Dr. W. Retz
University Hospital of the Saarland
Phone: +49/6841/162 6350