© Georg Thieme Verlag KG Stuttgart · New York
Effectiveness of Standardized Ginkgo biloba Extract on Cognitive Symptoms of Dementia with a Six-Month Treatment: A Bivariate Random Effect Meta-Analysis
26 January 2010 (online)
Introduction: The objective of this study is to take into consideration the influence of baseline risk on the treatment effect and evaluate the effectiveness of standardized Ginkgo biloba extract (GbE) on cognitive symptoms of dementia with the treatment period of approximately 6 months.
Methods: We systematically searched the literature to identify all randomized placebo-controlled clinical trials (English language) of GbE in the treatment of dementia. Data were extracted from selected trials and combined with standard meta-analysis methods. A bivariate meta-analysis was carried out to further estimate the effect size of GbE.
Results: The random effect estimate of standard mean difference (SMD) between GbE and placebo groups of 6 selected trials was −0.89 (95% CI −1.82 to 0.04) in the assessment of cognitive function. Bivariate random effect estimate of difference of change in ADAS-cog scores was −2.65 (95% CI –−4.53 to −0.76), which showed a significant difference in favor of GbE.
Conclusion: Considering baseline risk in the assessment of treatment effect, GbE was found to be effective for cognitive functions in dementia with the treatment of 6 months.
- 1 Anon . Ginkgo and Alzheimer's disease: little or no different from placebo. Prescrire Int. 2007; 16 205-207
.Efficacy and safety of Ginkgo biloba extract in mild cognitive impairment and cerebrovascular insufficiency.
In: Clinical Trials.gov website. 2009 URL: http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/nct00446485
- 3 Ahlemeyer B, Krieglstein J. Neuroprotective effects of Ginkgo biloba extract. Cell Mol Life Sci. 2003; 60 1779-1792
- 4 Andrieu S, Ousset PJ, Coley N. et al . GuidAge study: A 5-year double blind, randomised trial of EGb 761 for the prevention of Alzheimer's disease in elderly subjects with memory complaints. i. rationale, design and baseline data. Curr Alzheimer Res. 2008; 5 406-415
- 5 Augustin S, Rimbach G, Augustin K. et al . Effect of a short- and long-term treatment with Ginkgo biloba extract on amyloid precursor protein levels in a transgenic mouse model relevant to Alzheimer's disease. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2009; 481 177-182
- 6 Birks J, Grimley Evans J. Ginkgo biloba for cognitive impairment and dementia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2007; CD003120
- 7 Bornhoft G, Maxion-Bergemann S, Matthiessen PF. External validity of clinical trials for treatment of dementia with ginkgo biloba extracts. Z Gerontol Geriatr. 2008; 41 298-312
- 8 Chan PC, Xia Q, Fu PP. Ginkgo biloba leaf extract: biological, medicinal, and toxicological effects. J Environ Sci Health C Environ Carcinog Ecotoxicol Rev. 2007; 25 211-244
- 9 Deeks J. Statistical Methods Programmed in MetaView. Oxford: Cochrane Library 1999
- 10 DeKosky ST, Williamson JD, Fitzpatrick AL. et al . Ginkgo biloba for prevention of dementia: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2008; 300 2253-2262
- 11 Hoerr R. Behavioural and psychological symptoms of dementia (BPSD): effects of EGb 761. Pharmacopsychiatry. 2003; 36 ((Suppl 1)) S56-61
- 12 Hoerr R. Treatment effects of EGb 761 and cholinesterase inhibitors − why available studies do not demonstrate superiority of the latter. Phytomedicine. 2005; 12 598-600
- 13 Ihl R, Bachinskaya N, Tribanek M. et al .Efficacy and safety of a once-daily formulation of Ginkgo biloba extract EGb 761 in dementia with neuropsychiatric features.
In: 10th International Hong Kong/Springfield Pan-Asian Symposium on Advances in Alzheimer Therapy. Hong Kong. 2008
- 14 Ihl R, Grass-Kapanke B, Janner M. et al . Neuropsychometric tests in cross sectional and longitudinal studies – a regression analysis of ADAS-cog, SKT and MMSE. Pharmacopsychiatry. 1999; 32 248-254
Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (GER) .Benefit assessment of Ginkgo compounds in patients with Alzheimer's disease, also compared with other therapy options.
In: Institute for Quality and Efficiency in Health Care (GER). 2008 Report No. A05-19B
- 16 Kanowski S, Herrmann WM, Stephan K. et al . Proof of efficacy of the ginkgo biloba special extract EGb 761 in outpatients suffering from mild to moderate primary degenerative dementia of the Alzheimer type or multi-infarct dementia. Pharmacopsychiatry. 1996; 29 47-56
- 17 Kelley BJ, Knopman DS. Alternative medicine and Alzheimer disease. Neurologist. 2008; 14 299-306
- 18 Kim YS, Nibbelink DW, Overall JE. Factor structure and scoring of the SKT test battery. J Clin Psychol. 1993; 49 61-71
- 19 Kleijnen J, Knipschild P. Ginkgo biloba. Lancet. 1992; 340 1136-1139
- 20 Kurz A, Van Baelen B. Ginkgo biloba compared with cholinesterase inhibitors in the treatment of dementia: A review based on meta-analyses by the Cochrane collaboration. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2004; 18 217-226
- 21 Le Bars P. Conflicting results on ginkgo research. Forsch Komplementarmed Klass Naturheilkd. 2002; 9 19-20
- 22 Le Bars PL. Response patterns of EGb 761 in Alzheimer's disease: influence of neuropsychological profiles. Pharmacopsychiatry. 2003; 36 ((Suppl 1)) S50-S55
- 23 Le Bars PL, Katz MM, Berman N. et al . A placebo-controlled, double-blind, randomized trial of an extract of Ginkgo biloba for dementia. North American EGb Study Group. JAMA. 1997; 278 1327-1332
- 24 Le Bars PL, Velasco FM, Ferguson JM. et al . Influence of the severity of cognitive impairment on the effect of the Gnkgo biloba extract EGb 761 in Alzheimer's disease. Neuropsychobiology. 2002; 45 19-26
- 25 Lehfeld H, Rudinger G, Rietz C. et al . Evidence of the cross-cultural stability of the factor structure of the SKT short test for assessing deficits of memory and attention. Int Psychogeriatr. 1997; 9 139-153
- 26 Mahadevan S, Park Y. Multifaceted therapeutic benefits of Ginkgo biloba L.: chemistry, efficacy, safety, and uses. J Food Sci. 2008; 73 R14-19
- 27 Mazza M, Capuano A, Bria P. et al . Ginkgo biloba and donepezil: a comparison in the treatment of Alzheimer's dementia in a randomized placebo-controlled double-blind study. Eur J Neurol. 2006; 13 981-985
- 28 McCarney R, Fisher P, Iliffe S. et al . Ginkgo biloba for mild to moderate dementia in a community setting: a pragmatic, randomised, parallel-group, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2008; 23 1222-1230
- 29 Napryeyenko O, Borzenko I. Ginkgo biloba special extract in dementia with neuropsychiatric features. A randomised, placebo-controlled, double-blind clinical trial. Arzneimittelforschung. 2007; 57 4-11
- 30 Normand SL. Meta-analysis: formulating, evaluating, combining, and reporting. Stat Med. 1999; 18 321-359
- 31 Oken BS, Storzbach DM, Kaye JA. The efficacy of Ginkgo biloba on cognitive function in Alzheimer disease. Arch Neurol. 1998; 55 1409-1415
- 32 Rai GS, Shovlin C, Wesnes KA. A double-blind, placebo controlled study of Ginkgo biloba extract (‘Tanakan’) in elderly out-patients with mild to moderate memory impairment. Curr Med Res Opin. 1991; 12 350-355
- 33 Raina P, Santaguida P, Ismaila A. et al . Effectiveness of cholinesterase inhibitors and memantine for treating dementia: evidence review for a clinical practice guideline. Ann Intern Med. 2008; 148 379-397
- 34 Ramassamy C, Longpre F, Christen Y. Ginkgo biloba extract (EGb 761) in Alzheimer's disease: is there any evidence?. Curr Alzheimer Res. 2007; 4 253-262
- 35 Raschetti R, Albanese E, Vanacore N. et al . Cholinesterase inhibitors in mild cognitive impairment: a systematic review of randomised trials. PLoS Med. 2007; 4 e338
- 36 Schneider LS, DeKosky ST, Farlow MR. et al . A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of two doses of Ginkgo biloba extract in dementia of the Alzheimer's type. Curr Alzheimer Res. 2005; 2 541-551
- 37 Schreiter Gasser U, Gasser T. A comparison of cholinesterase inhibitors and ginkgo extract in treatment of Alzheimer dementia. Fortschr Med Orig. 2001; 119 135-138
- 38 Sierpina VS, Wollschlaeger B, Blumenthal M. Ginkgo biloba. Am Fam Physician. 2003; 68 923-926
- 39 van Dongen MC, van Rossum E, Kessels AG. et al . The efficacy of ginkgo for elderly people with dementia and age-associated memory impairment: new results of a randomized clinical trial. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2000; 48 1183-1194
- 40 van Houwelingen HC, Arends LR, Stijnen T. Advanced methods in meta-analysis: multivariate approach and meta-regression. Stat Med. 2002; 21 589-624
- 41 Wettstein A. Cholinesterase inhibitors and Gingko extracts – are they comparable in the treatment of dementia? Comparison of published placebo-controlled efficacy studies of at least six months’ duration. Phytomedicine. 2000; 6 393-401
- 42 Whitehead A.
Meta-analysis of controlled clinical trial. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons Ltd 2002
- 43 Yancheva S, Ihl R, Nikolova G. et al . Ginkgo biloba extract EGb 761(R), donepezil or both combined in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease with neuropsychiatric features: A randomised, double-blind, exploratory trial. Aging Ment Health. 2009; 13 183-190
H.-Z. Chen, PhD
Department of Pharmacology and Biostatistics Shanghai
Jiaotong University School of Medicine
People's Republic of China
Phone: +86/21/6467 4721
Fax: +86/21/6467 4721
Department of Biomedical Engineering
Shanghai Jiaotong University
School of Medicine
People's Republic of China
Phone: +86/21/6384 6590
Fax: +86/21/5456 2380