© Georg Thieme Verlag KG Stuttgart · New York
Cavitating Lymph Node Metastasis Demonstrated by Endobronchial Ultrasound
received August 22, 2009
04 October 2010 (online)
Cavitation of primary non-small cell lung carcinoma (NSCLC) occurs in a small number of patients. We report a case of cavitation of lymph node metastases in NSCLC. CT chest showed central low attenuation of the subcarinal lymph node, suggestive of necrosis, and endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS) imaging demonstrated two cystic spaces within the lymph node. Transbronchial needle aspiration of the cystic space confirmed the presence of metastatic NSCLC. Cystic necrosis was only demonstrable by EBUS. The incidence of such findings is unknown, however with the increasing use of EBUS for evaluation of the mediastinum such images may be more commonly encountered in the future.
Thoracic surgery - endobronchial ultrasound - necrosis
- 1 Wang M, Zhao J, Pan Y, Su Y J, You J, Zhao X L et al. Do tumor cavitation and sex in resected stage I non-small-cell lung cancer correlate with prognosis?. World J Surg. 2009; 33 (3) 497-504
- 2 Miura H, Taira O, Hiraguri S, Hagiwara M, Kato H. Cavitating adenocarcinoma of the lung. Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1998; 4 (3) 154-158
- 3 Johnson D H, Fehrenbacher L, Novotny W F, Herbst R S, Nemunaitis J J, Jablons D M et al. Randomized phase II trial comparing bevacizumab plus carboplatin and paclitaxel with carboplatin and paclitaxel alone in previously untreated locally advanced or metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2004; 22 (11) 2184-2191
- 4 King A D, Tse G M, Ahuja A T, Yuen E H, Vlantis A C, To E W et al. Necrosis in metastatic neck nodes: diagnostic accuracy of CT, MR imaging, and US. Radiology. 2004; 230 (3) 720-726
- 5 Codecasa L R, Besozzi G, De Cristofaro L, Miradoli A, Sabolla L, Tagliaferri B. Epidemiological and clinical patterns of intrathoracic lymph node tuberculosis in 60 human immunodeficiency virus-negative adult patients. [Monaldi archives for chest disease = Archivio Monaldi per le malattie del torace/Fondazione clinica del lavoro, IRCCS (and) Istituto di clinica tisiologica e malattie apparato respiratorio, Universita di Napoli, Secondo ateneo]. Monaldi Archives for Chest Disease. 1998; 53 (3) 277-280
Dr. Daniel Paul Steinfort, MBBS
Royal Melbourne Hospital
Parkville Grattan St.
Phone: +61 3 93 42 70 00
Fax: +61 3 86 10 16 87