Subscribe to RSS
Mechanistic Evaluation of Linalool Effect against Renal Ischemia- Reperfusion Injury in Rats
Background Kidney ischemia reperfusion (IR) is an important cause of renal dysfunction. The hypoxic conditions in ischemic damage result in the formation of free radicals and apoptotic death of renal cells. We evaluated the renoprotective effects of linalool in IR- induced renal injury.
Methods Wistar rats were divided into three groups of six rats; namely, control group, IR group, and linalool + IR group. The animals were unilaterally nephrectomized and subjected to 45 min of renal pedicle occlusion followed by 24 h reperfusion. Linalool (40mg/kg) was administered before ischemia. After 24h reperfusion, the kidney tissues were obtained for detection of miR-21, HSP 70 and caspase-3 expression levels and histological studies. Also, the blood samples were collected for the measurement of biochemical parameters.
Results IR significantly increased the expression of miR-21, HSP70 and capase-3 and the serum levels of BUN-Cr, ALT, AST and ALP enzymes. Furthermore, histological findings of the IR group confirmed that there were acute tubular necrosis and lymphocyte infiltration in the renal tissues. Treatment with linalool improved the renal function and morphological changes.
Conclusion It seems that linalool could exert a nephroprotective effect via a number of mechanisms in renal IR injury.
Received: 25 November 2020
Accepted: 19 April 2021
21 May 2021 (online)
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Amani H., Habibey R., Hajmiresmail S.J. et al. Antioxidant nanomaterials in advanced diagnoses and treatments of ischemia reperfusion injuries. Journal of Materials Chemistry B 2017; 5 (48) p 9452-p 9476
- 2 Cura-Esquivel I, Delgado-Chávez E.N., García-Narro J. H.H. et al. Attenuation of pro-inflammatory cytokines and oxidative stress by misoprostol in renal ischemia/reperfusion in rats. Pharmazie 2018; 73 (09) p 537-p 540
- 3 Banaei S. Novel role of microRNAs in renal ischemia reperfusion injury. Ren Fail 2015; 37 (07) p 1073-p 1079
- 4 Epure A., Pârvu Alina E.E., Vlase L. et al. Phytochemical Profile, Antioxidant, Cardioprotective and Nephroprotective Activity of Romanian Chicory Extract. Plants 2021; 10 (01) p 64
- 5 Mazani M., Rezagholizadeh L., Shamsi S. et al. Protection of CCl4-induced hepatic and renal damage by linalool. Drug and Chemical Toxicology 2020; p 1-p 9
- 6 Zheng X.-H., Liu C.-P., Hao Z.-G. et al. Protective effect and mechanistic evaluation of linalool against acute myocardial ischemia and reperfusion injury in rats. RSC advances 2017; 7 (55) p 34473-p 34481
- 7 Iwasaki K., Zheng Y.-W., Murata S. et al. Anticancer effect of linalool via cancer-specific hydroxyl radical generation in human colon cancer. World journal of gastroenterology 2016; 22 (44) p 9765
- 8 Gunaseelan S., Balupillai A., Govindasamy K. et al. Linalool prevents oxidative stress activated protein kinases in single UVB-exposed human skin cells. PLoS One 2017; 12 (05) p e0176699
- 9 Kalantari H., Jalali M., Jalali A. et al. Protective effect of Cassia fistula fruit extract against bromobenzene-induced liver injury in mice. Hum Exp Toxicol 2011; 30 (08) p 1039-p 1044
- 10 Huang S., Lin Y., Liang Z. et al. Erythropoietin helix B surface peptide modulates miR-21/Atg12 axis to alleviates cardiomyocyte hypoxia-reoxygenation injury. Am J Transl Res 2019; 11 (04) p 2422-p 2430
- 11 Wang F., Shang Y, Zhang R. et al. A SIRT1 agonist reduces cognitive decline in type 2 diabetic rats through antioxidative and anti‑inflammatory mechanisms. Mol Med Rep 2019; 19 (02) p 1040-p 1048
- 12 Liu W., Chen X., Zhang Y. Effects of microRNA-21 and microRNA-24 inhibitors on neuronal apoptosis in ischemic stroke. Am J Transl Res 2016; 8 (07) p 3179-p 3187
- 13 Banaei S., Ahmadiasl N., Alihemmati A. Comparison of the Protective Effects of Erythropoietin and Melatonin on Renal Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury. Trauma Mon 2016; 21 (03) p e23005
- 14 Banaei S. The effect of 5-aminosalicylic acid on renal ischemia-reperfusion injury in rats. Indian J Pharmacol 2016; 48 (02) p 196-p 199
- 15 Golmohammadi M.G., Banaei S. Vitamin D3 and erythropoietin protect against renal ischemia-reperfusion injury via heat shock protein 70 and microRNA-21 expression. Sci Rep 2020; 10 (01) p 20906
- 16 Golmohammadi M.-G., Ajam R., Shahbazi A. et al. Protective effect of vitamin D3 and erythropoietin on renal ischemia/reperfusion-induced liver and kidney damage in rats. Journal of Herbmed Pharmacology 2020; 9: 3
- 17 Ahmadiasl N., Banaei S., Alihemmati A. et al. The anti-inflammatory effect of erythropoietin and melatonin on renal ischemia reperfusion injury in male rats. Adv Pharm Bull 2014; 4 (01) p 49-p 54
- 18 Xu H.X., Pan W., Qianv J.-F. et al. MicroRNA‑21 contributes to the puerarin‑induced cardioprotection via suppression of apoptosis and oxidative stress in a cell model of ischemia/reperfusion injury. Mol Med Rep 2019; 20 (01) p 719-p 727
- 19 Xu X., Kriegel A. J., Liu Y. et al. Delayed ischemic preconditioning contributes to renal protection by upregulation of miR-21. Kidney Int 2012; 82 (11) p 1167-p 1175
- 20 Jiao X., Xu X., Fang Y. et al. miR-21 contributes to renal protection by targeting prolyl hydroxylase domain protein 2 in delayed ischaemic preconditioning. Nephrology (Carlton) 2017; 22 (05) p 366-p 373
- 21 Salloum F.N., Yin C., Kukreja R.C. Role of microRNAs in cardiac preconditioning. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 2010; 56 (06) p 581-p 588
- 22 Amanvermez R., Acar E., Günay M. et al. Hsp 70, hsCRP and oxidative stress in patients with acute coronary syndromes. Bosn J Basic Med Sci 2012; 12 (02) p 102-p 107
- 23 Zhang L., Gao J., Chen T. et al. Microvesicles Derived from Human Embryonic Neural Stem Cells Inhibit the Apoptosis of HL-1 Cardiomyocytes by Promoting Autophagy and Regulating AKT and mTOR via Transporting HSP-70. 2019; 2019: p 6452684
- 24 D'Amelio M., Cavallucci V., Cecconi F. Neuronal caspase-3 signaling: not only cell death. Cell Death Differ 2010; 17 (07) p 1104-p 1114
- 25 Pan Y., Guo M., Nie Z. et al. Colorimetric detection of apoptosis based on caspase-3 activity assay using unmodified gold nanoparticles. Chem Commun (Camb) 2012; 48 (07) p 997-p 999
- 26 Banaei S., Ahmadiasl N., Alihemmati A. Combination Anti-Apoptotic Effect of Erythropoietin and Melatonin on Ischemia Reperfusion-Induced Renal Injury in Rats. Acta Med Iran 2016; 54 (10) p 624-p 630