Incidence of Retinal Detachment after Macular SurgeryArticle in several languages: English | deutsch
Macular surgery has become an increasingly atraumatic procedure for the eye with the surgical methods that have been further developed in recent years. The most common complications include cystoid macular oedema and retinal detachment, more rarely endophthalmitis. The aim of this retrospective study is to record the number of retinal detachments following elective macular surgery. In this study we included all patients who underwent pars plana vitrectomy (ppV, 20 or 25 gauge) in the years 2009 – 2016. We then identified the patients who were hospitalised again because of retinal detachment. For the affected patients, the rate of retinal detachment, functional outcomes and possible risk factors were recorded. A total of 904 eyes were identified, of which 667 had surgery for epiretinal membrane, 188 for macular hole, and 49 for vitreomacular traction with a 20 or 25 gauge ppV. Of these 904, retinal detachment occurred in 17 (1.88%) cases. The mean time between first ppV and second ppV with retinal detachment was 248 days (3 – 1837 days). Two of the 17 patients had at least one retinal break before or during surgery. The retinal break was located inferior in six cases, superior in four; in four cases PVR retinal detachment and in three cases the foramina were distributed. Mean visual acuity was 0.27 (decimal) before macular surgery and 0.28 at the time of last presentation. Modern vitrectomy techniques reduce the complications in elective macular surgery, but do not replace the surgeonʼs experience.
Received: 05 October 2020
Accepted: 25 December 2020
19 February 2021 (online)
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Pielen A, Guerra NIP, Böhringer D. et al. Intra- and postoperative risks and complications of small-gauge (23-G) versus conventional (20-G) vitrectomy for macular surgery. Eur J Ophthalmol 2014; 24: 778-785
- 2 Wendel RT, Patel AC, Kelly NE. et al. Vitreous Surgery for Macular Holes. Ophthalmology 1993; 100: 1671-1676
- 3 Haritoglou C, Eibl K, Schaumberger M. et al. Functional outcome after trypan blue-assisted vitrectomy for macular pucker: a prospective, randomized, comparative trial. Am J Ophthalmol 2004; 138: 1-5
- 4 Gaudric A, Paques M, Massin P. et al. Use of autologous platelet concentrate in macular hole surgery: report of 77 cases. Dev Ophthalmol 1997; 29: 30-35
- 5 De Bustros S, Thompson JT, Michels RG. et al. Vitrectomy for idiopathic epiretinal membranes causing macular pucker. Br J Ophthalmol 1988; 72: 692-695
- 6 Tognetto D, Grandin R, Sanguinetti G. et al. Internal Limiting Membrane Removal during Macular Hole Surgery. Results of a Multicenter Retrospective Study. Ophthalmology 2006; 113: 1401-1410
- 7 Rizzo S, Belting C, Genovesi-Ebert F. et al. Incidence of retinal detachment after small-incision, sutureless pars plana vitrectomy compared with conventional 20-gauge vitrectomy in macular hole and epiretinal membrane surgery. Retina 2010; 30: 1065-1071
- 8 Jackson TL, Donachie PHJ, Sparrow JM. et al. United Kingdom National Ophthalmology Database study of vitreoretinal surgery: report 2, macular hole. Ophthalmology 2013; 120: 629-634
- 9 Banker AS, Freeman WR, Kim JW. et al. Vision-threatening complications of surgery for full-thickness macular holes. Ophthalmology 1997; 104: 1442-1453
- 10 Feltgen N, Walter P. Rhegmatogenous retinal detachment – an ophthalmologic emergency. Dtsch Arztebl Int 2014; 111: 12-21
- 11 Guillaubey A, Malvitte L, Lafontaine PO. et al. Incidence of retinal detachment after macular surgery: a retrospective study of 634 cases. Br J Ophthalmol 2007; 91: 1327-1330
- 12 Vaziri K, Schwartz SG, Kishor KS. et al. Rates of Reoperation and Retinal Detachment after Macular Hole Surgery. Ophthalmology 2016; 123: 26-31
- 13 Passemard M, Yakoubi Y, Muselier A. et al. Long-term Outcome of Idiopathic Macular Hole Surgery. Am J Ophthalmol 2010; 149: 120-126
- 14 Gunnemann ML, Röhrig S, Gutfleisch M. et al. Frequency of retinal detachment after surgical treatment of full-thickness macular holes with 23-gauge pars plana vitrectomy. Acta Ophthalmol 2020; DOI: 10.1111/aos.14551.
- 15 Hager A, Ehrich S, Wiegand W. Vitreoretinale Zweiteingriffe nach elektiver Makulachirurgie. Ophthalmologe 2004; 101: 39-44