Tectonic Eccentric Penetrating Sclerokeratoplasty à chaud as Treatment for Peripheral Perforated or Predescemetal Corneal UlcerationArticle in several languages: English | deutsch
Background Tectonic eccentric sclerokeratoplasty à chaud is a very complex corneal operation and aims to preserve the eyeball and possibly to improve visual acuity in patients with peripheral corneal ulcerations or perforating corneal trauma.
Methods 1650 eyes received corneal transplants in our clinic between 2006 and 2019. 14 of these 1650 eyes (0.8%) had a perforated or predescemetal peripheral corneal ulceration and these were treated between 2006 and 2019 with a tectonic eccentric sclerokeratoplasty à chaud. The mean age of the 8 women and 6 men included in this case series was 63 years (22 – 91 years).
Results In the postoperative follow-up period, most complications and reoperations occurred in the first 6 months. Re-ulceration was observed in 2 cases as well as early suture loosening in 12 patients. These 2 cases were treated with a partial conjunctival flap. Additionally, prolonged superficial wound healing process was shown in 12 patients. Therefore 27 amniotic membrane transplantations, 12 suture replacements, and 6 partial conjunctival flaps were performed in total. No re-keratoplasties were required in this case series. All eyes could be stabilised through the sclerokeratoplasty as well as subsequent operations and intensive local or even systemic treatment. After removal of the corneal suture, the best-corrected visual acuity improved only insignificantly to hand movement in 1 case, finger counting in 3 cases, 0.1 in 5 cases, 0.2 in 4 cases and 0.5 in 1 case. Preservation of the eyeball with pain relief was achieved in all 14 eyes.
Conclusions Eccentric sclerokeratoplasty is a very demanding surgical procedure and is extremely rarely performed. The goal is to preserve the eye.
Key wordscornea - tectonic eccentric sclerokeratoplasty - keratoplasty à chaud - peripheral sterile ulcerative keratitis
Received: 17 June 2020
Accepted: 11 November 2020
17 March 2021 (online)
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Georg Thieme Verlag KG
Rüdigerstraße 14, 70469 Stuttgart, Germany
- 1 Naumann GOH. The Bowman Lecture. Eye (Lond) 1995; 9: 398-421
- 2 Naumann GOH. Pathologie des Auges I und II. Heidelberg: Springer; 1997
- 3 Krumeich JH, Grasl MM, Binder PS, Knülle A. Geführtes Trepansystem für perforierende Keratoplastiken. In: Freyler H, Skorpik C, Grasl M. Hrsg. 3. Kongreß der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Intraokularlinsen Implantation. Wien, New York: Springer; 1989: 449-456
- 4 Samarawickrama C, Goh R, Vajpayee RB. “Copy and Fix”: A New Technique of Harvesting Freehand and Horseshoe Tectonic Grafts. Cornea 2015; 34: 1519-1522
- 5 Parmar GS, Ghodke B, Bose S. et al. Stenciling-Based “Prick nad Print” Technique for Harvesting Shaped Corneal Grafts for Management of Peripheral Corneal Perforations. Cornea 2019; 38: 105-109
- 6 Messmer EM. Sterile Keratitis. Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 2019; 236: 1235-1250
- 7 Völcker HE, Naumann GOH. Exzentrische Minikeratoplastik bei cornealen, corneoskleralen und skleralen Prozessen. Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 1984; 185: 158-166
- 8 Fechner PU, Teichmann KD. Medikamentöse Augentherapie. Stuttgart: Thieme; 2000
- 9 Krysik K, Dobrowolski D, Wylegala E. et al. Amniotic Membrane as a Main Component in Treatments Supporting Healing and Patch Grafts in Corneal Melting and Perforations. J Ophthalmol 2020; 95: 1-7
- 10 Völcker HE, Naumann GOH. Eccentric tectonic mini-keratoplasty in corneal, corneoscleral and scleral processes. Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 1984; 185: 158-166
- 11 Jang JH, Chang SD. Tectonic Deep Anterior Lamellar Keratoplasty in Impending Corneal Perforation Using Cryopreserved Cornea. Korean J Ophthalmol 2011; 25: 132-135
- 12 Li N, Wang X, Wan P. et al. Tectonic lamellar keratoplasty with acellular corneal stroma in high-risk corneal transplantation. Mol Vis 2011; 17: 1909-1917
- 13 Bhatt PR, Lim LT, Ramaesh K. Therapeutic deep lamellar keratoplasty for corneal perforations. Eye (Lond) 2007; 21: 1168-1173
- 14 Lazaridis A, Brouzas D, Sekundo W. et al. Tectonic epikeratoplasty with ethanol-stored donor corneas. Cell Tissue Bank 2018; 19: 637-644
- 15 Kymionis GD, Plaka AD, Diakonis VF. et al. Cross-Linking as an Adjuvant Treatment for Tectonic Corneal Lamellar Graft Preparation. Open Ophthalmol J 2013; 7: 79-81
- 16 Bialasiewicz AA, Naumann GOH. Tektonische Keratoplastik bei perforiertem Hornhautulkus bei Sjögren-Syndrom. Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 1988; 193: 554-564
- 17 Riedel T, Seitz B, Langenbucher A. et al. Morphological results after eccentric perforating keratoplasty. Ophthalmologe 2001; 98: 639-646
- 18 Jonas JB, Rank RM, Budde WM. Tectonic sclerokeratoplasty and tectonic penetrating keratoplasty as treatment for perforated or predescemtal corneal ulcers. Am J Ophthalmol 2001; 132: 14-18
- 19 Dogan C, Arslan OS. Outcomes of Therapeutic and Tectonic Penetrating Keratoplasty in Eyes with Perforated Infectious Corneal Ulcer. Turk J Ophthalmol 2019; 49: 55-60