Auditory middle latency response in children with learning difficulties
16 November 2011
06 March 2012
05 December 2013 (online)
Introduction: This is an objective laboratory assessment of the central auditory systems of children with learning disabilities.
Aim: To examine and determine the properties of the components of the Auditory Middle Latency Response in a sample of children with learning disabilities.
Methods: This was a prospective, cross-sectional cohort study with quantitative, descriptive, and exploratory outcomes. We included 50 children aged 8–13 years of both genders with and without learning disorders. Those with disorders of known organic, environmental, or genetic causes were excluded.
Results and Conclusions: The Na, Pa, and Nb waves were identified in all subjects. The ranges of the latency component values were as follows: Na = 9.8–32.3 ms, Pa = 19.0–51.4 ms, Nb = 30.0–64.3 ms (learning disorders group) and Na = 13.2–29.6 ms, Pa = 21.8–42.8 ms, Nb = 28.4–65.8 ms (healthy group). The values of the Na-Pa amplitude ranged from 0.3 to 6.8 ìV (learning disorders group) or 0.2–3.6 ìV (learning disorders group). Upon analysis, the functional characteristics of the groups were distinct: the left hemisphere Nb latency was longer in the study group than in the control group. Peculiarities of the electrophysiological measures were observed in the children with learning disorders. This study has provided information on the Auditory Middle Latency Response and can serve as a reference for other clinical and experimental studies in children with these disorders.
- 1 Richmond M, Robinson C, Sachs-Israel M , (ed) The Global Literacy Challenge. A profile of youth and adult literacy at the mid-point of the United Nations Literacy Decade 2003-2012. United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) 2008;
- 2 Simos PG, Rezaie R, Fletcher JM, Juranek J, Papanicolaou AC. Neural correlates of sentence reading in children with reading difficulties. Neuroreport 2011; 22 (14) 674-8
- 3 Purdy SC, Kelly AS, Davies MG. Auditory brainstem response, middle latency response, and late cortical evoked potentials in children with learning disorders. J Am Acad Audiol 2002; 13 (7) 367-382
- 4 Arehole S, Augustine LE, Simhadri R. Middle latency response in children with learning disbilities: preliminary findings. Journal of Comunications Desorders 1995; 28: 21-38
- 5 Ozdamar O, Kraus N. Auditory middle latency responses in humans. Audiology 1983; 22: 34-49
- 6 Musiek FE, Baran JA, Pinheiro ML. Neuroaudiology: case studies. San Diego : Singular Publishing Group; 1994: 279 p.
- 7 Borges CF. Processamento temporal auditivo em crianças com transtornos de leitura. [Mestrado] – Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de São Paulo, São Paulo; 2005
- 8 Geisler CD, Frishkopf LS, Rosenblith WA. Extracranial responses to acoustic clicks in man. Science 1958; 128: 1210-11
- 9 Heaton RK, Chelune GJ, Talley JL, Kay GG, Curtiss G, Teste Wisconsin de Classificação de Cartas: manual revisado e ampliado. Adaptação e padronização brasileira. Cunha JÁ, Trentini CM, Argimon IL, Oliveira MS, Werlang BG, Prieb RG. São Paulo: Casa do Psicólogo; 2005
- 10 Wechsler D, WISC III: Wechsler intelligence scale for children-manual. 1991. Adaptação e padronização de uma amostra brasileira. Figueiredo VLM. São Paulo: Casa do Psicólogo; 2002
- 11 Tabaquim MLM. Validação do Exame Neuropsicológico e análise das funções corticais superiores em crianças do ensino fundamental. Tese de Pós-Doutorado. Faculdade de Ciências Médicas. Unicamp/Campinas. 2008
- 12 Moojen S, Lamprecht R, Santos RM, Freitas GM, Brodacz R, Siqueira M , et al. CONFIAS - Consciência fonológica: instrumento de avaliação sequencial. São Paulo: Casa do Psicólogo; 2003
- 13 Capellini AS, Toyota P, Santos LCA, Lourencetti MD, Padula NAMR. Caracterização do desempenho fonológico, da leitura e da escrita de escolares com dislexia e distúrbio de aprendizagem. Aprender: caderno de filosofia e educação; 2007. 9. 37-70
- 14 Silver CH, Ruff RM, Iverson GL, Barth JT, Broshek DK, Bush SS, Koffer SP, Reynolds CR . Nan Policy and Planning Commitee. Learning disabilities: The need for neuropsycological evaluation. Arch Clin Neuropsychol 2008; 23: 217-219
- 15 Jasper H. The ten-twenty electrode system of the Internacional Federation. Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol 1958; 10: 371-375
- 16 Mcgee T, Kraus N. Auditory development reflected by middle latency response. Ear and Hear 1996; 17: 419-429
- 17 Costa SMB, Costa Filho AO, Cardoso MRA. Estudo do potencial auditivo de média latência: efeito de orelha, sexo e idade. Pro-fono R Atual Cient 2003; 15 (2) 181-188
- 18 Frizzo ACF, Funayma CAR, Isaac ML, Colafêmina JF. Potenciais evocados auditivos de média latência: estudo em crianças saudáveis. Rev Bras Otorrinol 2007; 73 (3) 398-403
- 19 Habib M. The neurological basis of developmental dyslexia: an overview and working hypothesis. Brain. B 2000; 123 (12) 2373-99
- 20 Bonifacci P, Snowling MJ. Speed of processing and reading disability: A cross-linguistic investigation of dyslexia and borderline intellectual functioning. Cognition 2008; 107: 999-1017