Squamous cell carcinoma of upper alveolus: An experience of a tertiary care center of Northeast IndiaFinancial support and sponsorship: Nil.
Objective: The main objective of this study was to analyze the clinical behavior and the impact of nodal metastasis on the prognosis of upper alveolus squamous cell carcinoma (SCC). Materials and Methods: The medical records of 110 patients with SCC of the upper alveolus (International Classification of Diseases-10-C03.0) diagnosed during 2010–2015 were reviewed. Survival analysis was done using the Kaplan–Meier method and was compared using log rank-test. P < 0.05 was considered statistically significant. Results: Of the 110 patients, 59 were males and 51 were females. Forty-six (41.8%) patients presented with lymph node metastasis. Fifty-three (51.8%) patients presented in Stage IVA, thirty (27.3%) patients in Stage IVB, ten (9.1%) patients in Stage III, 12 (10.9%) patients in Stage II. The 5-year overall survival (OS) was 71.1% in Stage II, in Stage III it was 65.6%, in Stage it was IVA 56.7%, and in Stage IVB it was 19.4% (P = 0.02). The 5-year OS for node negative compared with node positive was 66.3% versus 37.3%, respectively (P = 0.019). Conclusion: Presence of lymph node metastasis is associated with lower survival rates. Adequate surgical resection with adjuvant treatment, where necessary, offers the best chance of disease control.
21. Dezember 2020 (online)
© 2019. MedIntel Services Pvt Ltd. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/.)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Kademani D. Oral cancer. Mayo Clin Proc 2007;82:878-87.
- 2 Three Years Consolidated Report of Population Based Cancer Registry 2012-2014. National Centre for Disease Informatics and Research, Indian Council of Medical Research; 2016.
- 3 Pathak KA, Mathur N, Talole S, Deshpande MS, Chaturvedi P, Pai PS, et al. Squamous cell carcinoma of the superior gingival-buccal complex. Oral Oncol 2007;43:774-9.
- 4 Rao DN, Shroff PD, Chattopadhyay G, Dinshaw KA. Survival analysis of 5595 head and neck cancers – Results of conventional treatment in a high-risk population. Br J Cancer 1998;77:1514-8.
- 5 Lin HW, Bhattacharyya N. Survival impact of nodal disease in hard palate and maxillary alveolus cancer. Laryngoscope 2009;119:312-5.
- 6 Pathak KA, Gupta S, Talole S, Khanna V, Chaturvedi P, Deshpande MS, et al. Advanced squamous cell carcinoma of lower Gingivobuccal complex: Patterns of spread and failure. Head Neck 2005;27:597-602.
- 7 Morris LG, Patel SG, Shah JP, Ganly I. High rates of regional failure in squamous cell carcinoma of the hard palate and maxillary alveolus. Head Neck 2011;33:824-30.
- 8 Kumar V, Sindhu VA, Rathanaswamy S, Jain J, Pogal JR, Akhtar N, et al. Cancers of upper gingivobuccal sulcus, hard palate and maxilla: A tertiary care centre study in North India. Natl J Maxillofac Surg 2013;4:202-5.
- 9 Pimenta Amaral TM, Da Silva Freire AR, Carvalho AL, Pinto CA, Kowalski LP. Predictive factors of occult metastasis and prognosis of clinical stages I and II squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue and floor of the mouth. Oral Oncol 2004;40:780-6.
- 10 Li Q, Wu D, Liu WW, Li H, Liao WG, Zhang XR, et al. Survival impact of cervical metastasis in squamous cell carcinoma of hard palate. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2013;116:23-7.
- 11 Huang SH, O'Sullivan B. Oral cancer: Current role of radiotherapy and chemotherapy. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 2013;18:e233-40.
- 12 Wang TC, Hua CH, Lin CC, Tsou YA, Tseng HC, Tsai MH, et al. Risk factors affect the survival outcome of hard palatal and maxillary alveolus squamous cell carcinoma: 10-year review in a tertiary referral center. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2010;110:11-7.