Subscribe to RSS
Stromal expression of CD10 in breast carcinoma and its correlation with clinicopathological parametersFinancial support and sponsorship: Nil.
Introduction: Breast cancer is the foremost cause of death in women worldwide with more than one million cases occurring annually. Aim: This study was conducted to study the stromal CD10 expression in breast carcinomas (BCa) and its correlation with various prognostic factors such as tumor size, histological grade, lymph node status, estrogen receptor (ER), progesterone receptor (PR), HER2neu, and Ki67 status. Materials and Methods: Sixty cases of BCa diagnosed between 2013 and 2015 were included in the study. Stromal expression of CD10 was studied on entire section of selected BCa blocks for all cases. A technique of manual tissue microarray was employed for the analysis of expression of immunohistochemical markers ER, PR, and HER2/Neu and Ki67 in all cases. Results were subjected to statistical analysis. Results: Stromal CD10 positivity was seen in 78.3% cases, out of which 53.3% of cases were strongly positive, and 25.0% cases were weakly positive. Positivity for ER, PR, HER2, and Ki67 was 31.7%, 33.3%, 65%, and 75%, respectively. Stromal expression of CD10 was found to be significantly associated with increasing tumor grade, lymph node status, HER2neu positivity, ER negativity, and Ki67 positivity. CD10 stromal expression was seen mainly in PR negative BCa cases; however, it was statistically insignificant. It was noted that CD10 stromal positivity increased with increasing grade. Conclusion: CD10 can be used as an independent prognostic marker and should be included in routine histopathology report. CD10 could act as a potential target for newer drug development.
21 December 2020 (online)
© 2019. MedIntel Services Pvt Ltd. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/.)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Rosai J. Breast. In: Rosai J, editor. Rosai and Ackerman's Surgical Pathology. 10th ed. Vol. 2. New Delhi: Elsevier; 2012. p. 1659-770.
- 2 Ellis IO, Schnitt SJ, Sastre-Garau X, Bussolati G, Tavassoli FA, Eusebi V, et al. Invasive breast carcinoma. In: Tavassoli FA, Devilee P, editors. World Health Organization Classification of Tumours; Pathology and Genetics Tumours of the Breast and Female Genital Organs. Lyon: IARC press; 2003. p. 13-23.
- 3 Jana SH, Jha BM, Patel C, Jana D, Agarwal A. CD10-a new prognostic stromal marker in breast carcinoma, its utility, limitations and role in breast cancer pathogenesis. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 2014;57:530-6.
- 4 Puri V, Jain M, Thomas S. Stromal expression of CD10 in invasive breast carcinoma and its correlation with ER, PR, HER2-neu, and Ki67. Int J Breast Cancer 2011;2011:437957.
- 5 Huang WB, Zhou XJ, Chen JY, Zhang LH, Meng K, Ma HH, et al. CD10-positive stromal cells in gastric carcinoma: Correlation with invasion and metastasis. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2005;35:245-50.
- 6 Iwaya K, Ogawa H, Izumi M, Kuroda M, Mukai K. Stromal expression of CD10 in invasive breast carcinoma: A new predictor of clinical outcome. Virchows Arch 2002;440:589-93.
- 7 Makretsov NA, Hayes M, Carter BA, Dabiri S, Gilks CB, Huntsman DG, et al. Stromal CD10 expression in invasive breast carcinoma correlates with poor prognosis, estrogen receptor negativity, and high grade. Mod Pathol 2007;20:84-9.
- 8 Kulkarni MM, Khandeparkar SG, Joshi AR, Kothikar V, Nasare A, Patil S, et al. Role of CD10 immunoexpression in grading phyllodes tumour of the breast. J Clin Diagn Res 2017;11:EC14-6.
- 9 Lakhani SR, Ellis IO, Schnitt SJ, Tan PH, van de Vijver MJ. World Health Organization Classification of Tumours of the Breast. 4th ed. Lyon: IARC; 2012. p. 8-108, 152.
- 10 Pathak GS, Deshmukh SD, Ashturkar AV. Construction of tissue arrays without prefabricated recipient paraffin block experience of a novel technique in resource poor settings. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 2011;54:654-5.
- 11 Collins LC, Botero ML, Schnitt SJ. Bimodal frequency distribution of estrogen receptor immunohistochemical staining results in breast cancer: An analysis of 825 cases. Am J Clin Pathol 2005;123:16-20.
- 12 Gutierrez C, Schiff R. HER2: Biology, detection, and clinical implications. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2011;135:55-62.
- 13 Tawfik K, Kimler BF, Davis MK, Fan F, Tawfik O. Ki-67 expression in axillary lymph node metastases in breast cancer is prognostically significant. Hum Pathol 2013;44:39-46.
- 14 Curran CS, Keely PJ. Breast tumor and stromal cell responses to TGF-β and hypoxia in matrix deposition. Matrix Biol 2013;32:95-105.
- 15 Kim HS, Kim GY, Kim YW, Park YK, Song JY, Lim SJ, et al. Stromal CD10 expression and relationship to the E-cadherin/beta-catenin complex in breast carcinoma. Histopathology 2010;56:708-19.