Double‑Scope Peroral Endoscopic Myotomy Technique: Light at the End of the Tunnel!
24 September 2019 (online)
Peroral Endoscopic Myotomy has become the preferred therapy for achalasia cardia.An important predictor of the success and safety of this technique remains the correct identification of the Esophago gastric junction and the extent of myotomy. However, this key step may be difficult in a subset of patients. The present case highlights the use of double scope technique to manage such technical issues.
- 1 Vaezi MF, Richter JE. Diagnosis and management of achalasia. American College of Gastroenterology Practice Parameter Committee. Am J Gastroenterol 1999; 94: 3406-12
- 2 Inoue H, Minami H, Kobayashi Y, Sato Y, Kaga M, Suzuki M. et al. Peroral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) for esophageal achalasia. Endoscopy 2010; 42: 265-71
- 3 Stavropoulos SN, Modayil RJ, Friedel D, Savides T. The International Per Oral Endoscopic Myotomy Survey (IPOEMS): A snapshot of the global POEM experience. Surg Endosc 2013; 27: 3322-38
- 4 Kumbhari V, Saxena P, Messallam AA, Aguila G, Tieu AH, El-Zein M. et al. Fluoroscopy to document the extent of cardiomyotomy during peroral endoscopic myotomy. Endoscopy 2014; 46 Suppl 1 UCTN E369-70
- 5 Rieder E, Swanström LL, Perretta S, Lenglinger J, Riegler M, Dunst CM. et al. Intraoperative assessment of esophagogastric junction distensibility during per oral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) for esophageal motility disorders. Surg Endosc 2013; 27: 400-5
- 6 Grimes KL, Inoue H, Onimaru M, Ikeda H, Tansawet A, Bechara R. et al. Double-scope per oral endoscopic myotomy (POEM): A prospective randomized controlled trial. Surg Endosc 2016; 30: 1344-51
- 7 Hong HJ, Song GW, Ko WJ, Kim WH, Hahm KB, Hong SP. et al. Double-scope peroral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) for esophageal achalasia: The first trial of a new double-scope POEM. Clin Endosc 2016; 49: 383-6