Subscribe to RSS
Evaluation of lung transplant perfusion using iodine maps from novel spectral detector computed tomography
Subject Editor: Financial support and sponsorship Nil.
We report the case of a 51-year-old patient who underwent bilateral lung transplantation and presented with an unstable condition and sepsis 6 days after transplantation. The performed contrast enhanced spectral detector computed tomography (CT) using a dual-layer detector showed absence of perfusion in the left lung on iodine maps, although branches of the pulmonary artery were patent. This prompted retrospective evaluation of CT images and total venous occlusion of the left pulmonary veins was found. Here, iodine maps helped in raising conspicuity of loss of lung perfusion.
KeywordsDual energy computed tomography - iodine-maps - lung transplantation - spectral detector computed tomography - quantitative imaging
26 July 2021 (online)
© 2018. Indian Radiological Association. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Yegen HA, Lederer DJ, Barr RG, Wilt JS, Fang Y, Bagiella E. et al. Risk factors for venous thromboembolism after lung transplantation. Chest 2007; 132: 547-53
- 2 Saito H, Noda K, Ogasawara K, Atsuji S, Takaoka H, Kajihara H. et al. Usefulness and limitations of dual-layer spectral detector computed tomography for diagnosing biliary stones not detected by conventional computed tomography: A report of three cases. Clin J Gastroenterol 2018; 11: 172-7
- 3 McCollough CH, Leng S, Yu L, Fletcher JG. Dual- and Multi-Energy CT: Principles, technical approaches, and clinical applications. Radiology 2015; 276: 637-53
- 4 Jacobsen MC, Schellingerhout D, Wood CA, Tamm EP, Godoy MC, Sun J. et al. Intermanufacturer comparison of dual-energy CT iodine quantification and monochromatic attenuation: A phantom study. Radiology 2018; 287: 224-34
- 5 Oda S, Nakaura T, Utsunomiya D, Hirakawa K, Takashio S, Izumiya Y. et al. Late iodine enhancement and myocardial extracellular volume quantification in cardiac amyloidosis by using dual-energy cardiac computed tomography performed on a dual-layer spectral detector scanner. Amyloid 2018; 1-2 DOI: 10.1080/13506129.2018.1424625.
- 6 Lee JC, Christie JD. Primary craft dysfunction. Proc Am Thorac Soc 2009; 6: 39-46
- 7 Moreau A, Varey E, Anegon I, Cuturi M-C. Effector mechanisms of rejection. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med 2013; 3: 1-33
- 8 Rocha PN, Plumb TJ, Crowley SD, Coffman TM. Effector mechanisms in transplant rejection. Immunol Rev 2003; 196: 51-64
- 9 Sáez-Giménez B, Berastegui C, Loor K, López-Meseguer M, Monforte V, Bravo C. et al. Deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism after solid organ transplantation: an unresolved problem. Transplant Rev (Orlando) 2015; 29: 85-92
- 10 Wu HW, Cheng JJ, Li JY, Yin Y, Hua J, Xu JR. Pulmonary embolism detection and characterization through quantitative iodine-based material decomposition images with spectral computed tomography imaging. Invest Radiol 2012; 47: 85-91