Subscribe to RSS
Among the fibers: A multimodality imaging review of intramuscular mass lesions
Subject Editor: Financial support and sponsorship Nil.
The common presentations of patient complaints regarding the musculoskeletal system, such as pain, swelling, and restriction of movement, lead to the imaging discovery of various lesions often located in, or arising from, skeletal muscle in the region of interest. Knowledge of the patients’ clinical history, laboratory parameters, and various imaging characteristics of the implicated lesions would assist the radiologist in coming to a timely, reasonably accurate conclusion about the etiology of the patient’s complaints, the severity of disease, and in directing patient therapy.
KeywordsAbscess - intramuscular - hemangioma - hematoma - lipoma - liposarcoma - myocysticercosis - myositis ossificans - sarcoma - vascular malformation
26 July 2021 (online)
© 2018. Indian Radiological Association. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Fletcher CD, Martin-Bates E. Intramuscular and intermuscular lipoma: Neglected diagnoses. Histopathology 1988; 12: 275-87
- 2 Paunipagar BK, Griffith JF, Rasalkar DD, Chow LT, Kumta SM, Ahuja A. Ultrasound features of deep-seated lipomas. Insights Imaging 2010; 1: 149-53
- 3 Cohen AJ, Youkey JR, Clagett GP, Huggins M, Nadalo L, D’Avis JC. Intramuscular hemangioma. JAMA 1983; 249: 2680-2
- 4 Murphey Mark D, Smith Sean W. Imaging of musculoskeletal neurogenic tumors: Radiologic-pathologic correlation. Radiographics 1999; 19: 1253-80
- 5 Escobar C, Munker R, Thomas JO, Li BD, Burton GV. Update on desmoid tumors. Ann Oncol 2011; 23: 562-9
- 6 Ozbek N, Danaci M, Okumus B, Gursel B, Cakir S, Dabak N. et al. Recurrent intramuscular myxoma: Review of the literature, diagnosis and treatment options. Turk J Cancer 2006; 36: 75
- 7 Wu JS, Hochman MG. Soft-tissue tumors and tumorlike lesions: A systematic imaging approach. Radiology 2009; 253: 297-316
- 8 Glass AG, Karnell LH, Menck HR. The national cancer data base report on non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Cancer 1997; 80: 2311-20
- 9 Fletcher CD, Unni KK, Mertens F. editors Pathology and genetics of tumours of soft tissue and bone. Iarc; 2002
- 10 Hwang S. Imaging of lymphoma of the musculoskeletal system. Radiol Clin North Am 2008; 46: 379-96
- 11 Acinas GO, Fernandez FA, Satue EG, Buelta L, Val-Bernal JF. Metastasis of malignant neoplasms to skeletal muscle. Rev Esp Oncol 1984; 31: 57-67
- 12 Muttarak M, Peh WC. CT of unusual iliopsoas compartment lesions. Radiographics 2000; 20 suppl (01) S53-66
- 13 Tripathy SK, Sen RK, Sudes P, Dhatt S. Solitary cysticercosis of deltoid muscle in a child: The diagnostic dilemma and case report. J Orthop 2009; 6: e11
- 14 Bozkurt M, Çil AS, Bozkurt DK. Intramuscular abdominal wall endometriosis treated by ultrasound-guided ethanol injection. Clin Med Res 2014; 12: 160-5