A case series of metastases to the breast from extramammary malignancies
Verantwortlicher Herausgeber dieser Rubrik: Financial support and sponsorship Nil.
Metastases to the breast from extra-mammary malignancies are extremely uncommon. The discovery of a breast mass in a patient with a known primary tumor elsewhere poses a diagnostic challenge to the clinician. An awareness of the various malignancies that can metastasize to the breast and accurate diagnosis of the same is essential to avoid an unnecessary mastectomy and to guide further therapy. In this case series, we describe such clinical scenarios with an emphasis on the imaging features of metastases to the breast, which will enable radiologists to recognize this entity with greater ease.
26. Juli 2021 (online)
© 2018. Indian Radiological Association. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Bohman LG, Bassett LW, Gold RH, Voet R. Breast metastases from extramammary malignancies. Radiology 1982; 144: 309-12
- 2 Amichetti M, Perani B, Boi S. Metastases to the breast from extramammary malignancies. Oncology 1990; 47: 257-60
- 3 Lee SH, Park JM, Kook SH, Han BK, Moon WK. Metastatic tumors to the breast: Mammographic and ultrasonographic findings. J Ultrasound Med 2000; 19: 257-62
- 4 McCrea ES, Johnston C, Haney P. Metastases to the breast. Am J Roentgenol 1983; 141: 685-90
- 5 Moncada R, Cooper RA, Garces M, Badrinath K. Calcified metastases from malignant ovarian neoplasm: Review of the literature. Radiology 1974; 113: 31-5
- 6 Mun SH, Ko EY, Han BK, Shin JH, Kim SJ, Cho EY. Breast metastases from extramammary malignancies: Typical and atypical ultrasound features. Korean J Radiol 2014; 15: 20-8
- 7 Vizcaino I, Torregrosa A, Higueras V, Morote V, Cremades A, Torres V. et al. Metastasis to the breast from extramammary malignancies: A report of four cases and a review of literature. Eur Radiol 2001; 11: 1659-65
- 8 Tulasi NR, Kurian S, Mathew G, Viswanathan FR, Roul RK. Breast metastases from primary leiomyosarcoma. ANZ J Surg 1997; 67: 71-2
- 9 Ferrara G, Nappi O. Metastatic neoplasms of the breast: Fine-needle aspiration cytology of two cases. Diagn Cytopathol 1996; 15: 139-43
- 10 Qureshi SS, Shrikhande SV, Tanuja S, Shukla PJ. Breast metastases of gastric signet ring cell carcinoma: A differential diagnosis with primary breast signet ring cell carcinoma. J Postgrad Med 2005; 51: 125-7
- 11 Cavazzini G, Colpani F, Cantore M, Aitini E, Rabbi C, Taffurelli M. et al. Breast metastasis from gastric signet ring cell carcinoma, mimicking inflammatory carcinoma. A case report. Tumori 1993; 79: 450-3
- 12 Kwak JY, Kim EK, Oh KK. Radiologic findings of metastatic signet ring cell carcinoma to the breast from stomach. Yonsei Med J 2000; 41: 669-72
- 13 Vergier B, Trojani M, De Mascarel I, Coindre JM, Le Treut A. Metastases to the breast: Differential diagnosis from primary breast carcinoma. J Surg Oncol 1991; 48: 112-6
- 14 Ward R, Conner G, Delprado W, Dalley D. Metastatic adenocarcinoma of the cervix presenting as an inflammatory breast lesion. Gynecol Oncol 1989; 35: 399-405
- 15 Mihai R, Christie-Brown J, Bristol J. Breast metastases from colorectal carcinoma. Breast 2004; 13: 155-8
- 16 Li HC, Patel P, Kapur P, Huerta S. Metastatic rectal cancer to the breast. Rare Tumors 2009; 1: e22
- 17 Zhang S, Du T, Jiang X, Song C. Case Report Breast metastasis of primary colorectal cancer: A case report. Int J Clin Exp Med 2016; 9: 22517-23
- 18 Ahmad A, Baiden-Amissah K, Oyegade A, Absar M, Swainson K, Titi S. Primary sigmoid adenocarcinoma metastasis to the breast in a 28-year-old female: A case study and a review of literature. Korean J Pathol 2014; 48: 58-61
- 19 Örgüç Ş, Başara I, Poçan T, Özgüven AA, Özkol M. Ewing’s sarcoma metastasis into the breast. Diagn Interv Radiol 2012; 18: 167-70
- 20 Sun Y, Joks M, Xu LM, Chen XL, Qian D, You JQ. et al. Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma of the breast: Prognostic factors and treatment outcomes. Onco Targets Ther 2016; 9: 2069-80
- 21 Surov A, Holzhausen HJ, Wienke A, Schmidt J, Thomssen C, Arnold D. et al. Primary and secondary breast lymphoma: Prevalence, clinical signs and radiological features. Br J Radiol 2012; 85: e195-205
- 22 Yang WT, Lane DL, Le-Petross HT, Abruzzo LV, Macapinlac HA. Breast lymphoma: Imaging findings of 32 tumors in 27 patients. Radiology 2007; 245: 692-702