Subscribe to RSS
Management of muslim dental patient while fasting
The dawn to dusk fast in the Islamic month of Ramadan is obligatory for all Muslims. During fasting, Muslims abstain from food, drink whilst going about their normal daily activities. Poor understanding and appreciation of the practices by the medical professional may lead to compromise in treatment and inability to provide good service for the patients. This article provides insight to dentists around the globe to carry out comprehensive and preventive dental treatment to fasting patients in the month of Ramadan.
Article published online:
01 November 2021
© 2014. European Journal of General Dentistry. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/.)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Leiper JB, Molla AM, Molla AM. Effects on health of fluid restriction during fasting in Ramadan. Eur J Clin Nutr 2003;57:30-8.
- 2 Ramadan J. Does fasting during Ramadan alter body composition, blood constituents and physical performance? Med Princ Pract 2002;11:41-6.
- 3 Sakr AH. Fasting in Islam. J Am Diet Assoc 1975;67:17-21.
- 4 Khalid A, Raman B Transcultural oral health care: Dental medication for muslim patient. Dent Update 2000; 27:449-52.
- 5 Available from: http://www.mda.org.my/assets/07public/healthcare_pdf/dentalcare_in_ramadhan.pdf. [Last accessed on 2013 Feb 02].
- 6 Darwish S. The management of the Muslim dental patient. Br Dent J 2005;199:503-4.
- 7 Sheikh A, Gatrad AR. Caring for Muslim Patients. Kannur (Cannanore), Kerala: Radcliffe Medical Press; 2000.
- 8 Khan FA, Williams SA. Cultural barriers to successful communication during orthodontic care. Community Dent Health 1999;16:256-61.
- 9 Trepanowski JF, Bloomer RJ. The impact of religious fasting on human health. Nutr J 2010;9:57.