Subscribe to RSS
Prostate cancer is not breast cancerFinancial support and sponsorship Nil.
Cancers of the prostate and breast are hormone dependent cancers. There is a tendency to equate them and apply same algorithms for treatment. It is pointed out that metastatic prostate cancer with bone-only disease is a potentially fatal condition with a much poorer prognosis than metastatic breast cancer and needs a more aggressive approach.
Article published online:
12 July 2021
© 2016. Indian Society of Medical and Paediatric Oncology. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/.)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Cardoso F, Costa A, Norton L, Senkus E, Aapro M, André F, et al. ESO-ESMO 2 nd international consensus guidelines for advanced breast cancer (ABC2). Breast 2014;23:489-502.
- 2 Valkenburg KC, Steensma MR, Williams BO, Zhong Z. Skeletal metastasis: Treatments, mouse models, and the Wnt signaling. Chin J Cancer 2013;32:380-96.
- 3 Nørgaard M, Jensen AØ, Jacobsen JB, Cetin K, Fryzek JP, Sørensen HT. Skeletal related events, bone metastasis and survival of prostate cancer: A population based cohort study in Denmark (1999 to 2007). J Urol 2010;184:162-7.
- 4 Jensen AØ, Jacobsen JB, Nørgaard M, Yong M, Fryzek JP, Sørensen HT. Incidence of bone metastases and skeletal-related events in breast cancer patients: A population-based cohort study in Denmark. BMC Cancer 2011;11:29.
- 5 Coleman RE, Rubens RD. The clinical course of bone metastases from breast cancer. Br J Cancer 1987;55:61-6.
- 6 Pezaro CJ, Omlin A, Lorente D, Nava Rodrigues D, Ferraldeschi R, Bianchini D, et al. Visceral disease in castration-resistant prostate cancer. Eur Urol 2014;65:270-3.
- 7 Parker C, Nilsson S, Heinrich D, Helle SI, O′Sullivan JM, Fosså SD, et al. Alpha emitter radium-223 and survival in metastatic prostate cancer. N Engl J Med 2013;369:213-23.
- 8 Presented at ESMO; 2014. Available from: http://www.oncologypro.esmo.org/Meeting-Resources/ESMO-2014/Genitourinary-Tumours-Prostate/Chemohormonal-therapy-versus-hormonal-therapy-for-hormone-naive-high-volume-newly-metastatic-prostate-cancer-PrCa-ECOG-led-phase-III-randomized-trial. [Last accessed on 2014 Dec 12].
- 9 Gravis G, Fizazi K, Joly F, Oudard S, Priou F, Esterni B, et al. Androgen-deprivation therapy alone or with docetaxel in non-castrate metastatic prostate cancer (GETUG-AFU 15): A randomised, open-label, phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol 2013; 14:149-58.