Subscribe to RSS
Maintenance pemetrexed in nonsmall cell lung carcinoma: Outcome analysis from a tertiary care centerFinancial support and sponsorship Nil.
Background: Maintenance pemetrexed is a standard treatment option for selected non squamous nonsmall cell lung carcinoma patients having a response to platin based doublet. We conducted a clinical audit of such selected patients and report the outcome among the Indian population. Aim: To evaluate the outcomes with maintenance pemetrexed in the patients with locally advanced and metastatic adenocarcinoma lung. Objectives: To calculate the progression free survival (PFS), overall survival (OS), and factors affecting the outcome. Materials and Methods: Data of patients with locally advanced and metastatic adenocarcinoma lung were retrieved from prospectively maintained lung cancer database registered between June 2011 and March 2014. The patients who achieved partial response (n = 87) or stable disease (n = 101) after 6 cycles of pemetrexed platin based doublet and received the maintenance pemetrexed were selected for final analysis (n = 188). Kaplan-Meir survival analysis was used for PFS and OS. Log rank test was used to evaluate the factors affecting the outcome. Results: Median follow-up is 14 months. The median number of maintenance pemetrexed cycles received is 6 (1-38). Common reason for the discontinuation are disease progression (n = 127), renal toxicity (n = 4), and social/financial (n = 7). Median PFS and OS are 8 months and 20 months, respectively. The patients with baseline pleural effusion had better PFS (9 months vs. 7 months, P = 0.02) and OS (26 months vs. 18 months, P = 0.05). The patients receiving more than 6 cycles of maintenance had improved PFS (12 vs. 7 months, P = 0.002) and OS (26 vs. 16 months, P = 0.05). Conclusion: Maintenance pemetrexed is feasible and well tolerated by the majority of Indian patients who achieved the response after platin based doublet. The patients with baseline pleural effusion benefit more with maintenance pemetrexed.
12 July 2021 (online)
© 2015. Indian Society of Medical and Paediatric Oncology. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/.)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Ervik M, Dikshit R, Eser S, Mathers C, et al. GLOBOCAN 2012 v1.0, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide: IARC Cancer Base No. 11. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer; 2013. Available from: http://www.globocan.iarc.fr [Last accessed on 2015 Apr 15].
- 2 Noronha V, Dikshit R, Raut N, Joshi A, Pramesh CS, George K, et al. Epidemiology of lung cancer in India: Focus on the differences between non-smokers and smokers: A single-centre experience. Indian J Cancer 2012;49:74-81.
- 3 Felip E, Stahel RA, Pavlidis N; ESMO Guidelines Task Force. ESMO minimum clinical recommendations for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up of non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Ann Oncol 2005;16 Suppl 1:i28-9.
- 4 Fleming ID, Cooper JS, Henson DE. Lung. AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. 5 th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven; 1997. p. 127-37.
- 5 Paz-Ares LG, de Marinis F, Dediu M, Thomas M, Pujol JL, Bidoli P. PARAMOUNT: Final overall survival results of the phase III study of maintenance pemetrexed versus placeboimmediately after induction treatment with pemetrexed plus cisplatin for advanced nonsquamous non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 2013;31:2895-902.
- 6 Ciuleanu T, Brodowicz T, Zielinski C, Kim JH, Krzakowski M, Laack E, et al. Maintenance pemetrexed plus best supportive care versus placebo plus best supportive care for non-small-cell lung cancer: A randomised, double-blind, phase 3 study. Lancet 2009;374:1432-40.
- 7 Barlesi F, Scherpereel A, Rittmeyer A, Pazzola A, Ferrer Tur N, Kim JH, et al. Randomized phase III trial of maintenance bevacizumab with or without pemetrexed after first-line induction with bevacizumab, cisplatin, and pemetrexed in advanced nonsquamous non-small-cell lung cancer: AVAPERL (MO22089). J Clin Oncol 2013;31:3004-11.
- 8 Patel JD, Socinski MA, Garon EB, Reynolds CH, Spigel DR, Olsen MR, et al. PointBreak: A randomized phase III study of pemetrexed plus carboplatin and bevacizumab followed by maintenance pemetrexed and bevacizumab versus paclitaxel plus carboplatin and bevacizumab followed by maintenance bevacizumab in patients with stage IIIB or IV nonsquamous non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 2013;31:4349-57.
- 9 Belani CP, Brodowicz T, Ciuleanu TE, Krzakowski M, Yang SH, Franke F. Quality of life in patients with advanced non-small-cell lung cancer given maintenance treatment with pemetrexed versus placebo (H3E-MC-JMEN): Results from a randomised, double-blind, phase 3 study. Lancet Oncol 2012;13:292-9.
- 10 Juhász E, Kim JH, Klingelschmitt G, Walzer S. Effects of erlotinib first-line maintenance therapy versus placebo on the health-related quality of life of patients with metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer. Eur J Cancer 2013;49:1205-15.
- 11 Davis M, Conlon K, Bohac GC, Barcenas J, Leslie W, Watkins L, et al. Effect of pemetrexed on innate immune killer cells and adaptive immune T cells in subjects with adenocarcinoma of the pancreas. J Immunother 2012;35:629-40.
- 12 Chougule A, Prabhash K, Noronha V, Joshi A, Thavamani A, Chandrani P, et al. Frequency of EGFR mutations in 907 lung adenocarcioma patients of Indian ethnicity. PLoS One 2013;8:e76164.
- 13 Noronha V, Prabhash K, Thavamani A, Chougule A, Purandare N, Joshi A, et al. EGFR mutations in Indian lung cancer patients: Clinical correlation and outcome to EGFR targeted therapy. PLoS One 2013;8:e61561.