Subscribe to RSS
Adjuvant hormonal therapy in premenopausal women with breast cancerFinancial support and sponsorship Nil.
12 July 2021 (online)
© 2015. Indian Society of Medical and Paediatric Oncology. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/.)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Ervik M, Dikshit R, Eser S, Mathers C, et al. GLOBOCAN 2012 v1.0, Cancer Incidence and Mortality Worldwide: IARC Cancer Base No. 11. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer; 2013. Available from: http://www.globocan.iarc.fr. [Last accessed on 2014 Nov 21].
- 2 American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts & Figures 2014. Atlanta: American Cancer Society; 2014.
- 3 Anderson WF, Chatterjee N, Ershler WB, Brawley OW. Estrogen receptor breast cancer phenotypes in the surveillance, epidemiology, and end results database. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2002;76:27-36.
- 4 Osborne CK, Yochmowitz MG, Knight WA 3 rd , McGuire WL. The value of estrogen and progesterone receptors in the treatment of breast cancer. Cancer 1980;46 12 Suppl:2884-8.
- 5 Emens LA, Davidson NE. Adjuvant hormonal therapy for premenopausal women with breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res 2003;9:486S-94.
- 6 Osborne CK. Steroid hormone receptors in breast cancer management. Breast Cancer Res Treat 1998;51:227-38.
- 7 Polychemotherapy for early breast cancer: An overview of the randomised trials. Early Breast Cancer Trialists′ Collaborative Group. Lancet 1998;352:930-42.
- 8 Early Breast Cancer Trialists′ Collaborative Group (EBCTCG), Davies C, Godwin J, Gray R, Clarke M, Cutter D, et al. Relevance of breast cancer hormone receptors and other factors to the efficacy of adjuvant tamoxifen: Patient-level meta-analysis of randomised trials. Lancet 2011;378:771-84.
- 9 Fisher B, Dignam J, Bryant J, DeCillis A, Wickerham DL, Wolmark N, et al. Five versus more than five years of tamoxifen therapy for breast cancer patients with negative lymph nodes and estrogen receptor-positive tumors. J Natl Cancer Inst 1996;88:1529-42.
- 10 Fisher B, Dignam J, Bryant J, Wolmark N. Five versus more than five years of tamoxifen for lymph node-negative breast cancer: Updated findings from the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project B-14 randomized trial. J Natl Cancer Inst 2001;93:684-90.
- 11 Davies C, Pan H, Godwin J, Gray R, Arriagada R, Raina V, et al. Long-term effects of continuing adjuvant tamoxifen to 10 years versus stopping at 5 years after diagnosis of oestrogen receptor-positive breast cancer: ATLAS, a randomised trial. Lancet 2013;381:805-16.
- 12 Jankowitz RC, McGuire KP, Davidson NE. Optimal systemic therapy for premenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive breast cancer. Breast 2013;22 Suppl 2:S165-70.
- 13 Gray RG, Rea D, Handley D, Bowden SJ, Perry P, aTTom: Long-term effects of continuing adjuvant tamoxifen to 10 years versus stopping at 5 years in 6,953 women with early breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2013;31 (suppl; abstr 5).
- 14 Burstein HJ, Temin S, Anderson H, Buchholz TA, Davidson NE, Gelmon KE, et al. Adjuvant endocrine therapy for women with hormone receptor-positive breast cancer: American Society of Clinical Oncology clinical practice guideline focused update. J Clin Oncol 2014;32:2255-69.
- 15 Goss PE, Ingle JN, Pater JL, Martino S, Robert NJ, Muss HB, et al. Late extended adjuvant treatment with letrozole improves outcome in women with early-stage breast cancer who complete 5 years of tamoxifen. J Clin Oncol 2008;26:1948-55.
- 16 Goss PE, Ingle JN, Martino S, Robert NJ, Muss HB, Piccart MJ, et al. Efficacy of letrozole extended adjuvant therapy according to estrogen receptor and progesterone receptor status of the primary tumor: National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group MA.17. J Clin Oncol 2007;25:2006-11.
- 17 Goss PE, Ingle JN, Martino S, Robert NJ, Muss HB, Piccart MJ, et al. A randomized trial of letrozole in postmenopausal women after five years of tamoxifen therapy for early-stage breast cancer. N Engl J Med 2003;349:1793-802.
- 18 Ingle JN, Tu D, Pater JL, Muss HB, Martino S, Robert NJ, et al. Intent-to-treat analysis of the placebo-controlled trial of letrozole for extended adjuvant therapy in early breast cancer: NCIC CTG MA.17. Ann Oncol 2008;19:877-82.
- 19 Beatson GT. On the treatment of inoperable cases of carcinoma of the mamma: Suggestions for a new method of treatment with illustrative cases. Lancet 1896;ii:104-7.
- 20 Clarke MJ. Ovarian ablation in breast cancer, 1896 to 1998: milestones along hierarchy of evidence from case report to Cochrane review. BMJ 1998;317:1246-8.
- 21 Paterson R, Russel MH. Clinical trials in malignant disease. Part II-breast cancer: Value of irradiation of the ovaries. J Fac Radiol 1959;10:130-3.
- 22 Ovarian ablation in early breast cancer: Overview of the randomised trials. Early Breast Cancer Trialists′ Collaborative Group. Lancet 1996;348:1189-96.
- 23 Early Breast Cancer Trialists′ Collaborative Group (EBCTCG). Effects of chemotherapy and hormonal therapy for early breast cancer on recurrence and 15-year survival: An overview of the randomised trials. Lancet 2005;365:1687-717.
- 24 Christinat A, Di Lascio S, Pagani O. Hormonal therapies in young breast cancer patients: When, what and for how long? J Thorac Dis 2013;5 Suppl 1:S36-46.
- 25 González Martín A, de la Cruz S, Márquez R. Adjuvant endocrine therapy in premenopausal women with breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat 2010;123 Suppl 1:43-7.
- 26 Davidson NE, O′Neill AM, Vukov AM, Osborne CK, Martino S, White DR, et al. Chemoendocrine therapy for premenopausal women with axillary lymph node-positive, steroid hormone receptor-positive breast cancer: Results from INT 0101 (E5188). J Clin Oncol 2005;23:5973-82.
- 27 International Breast Cancer Study Group (IBCSG), Castiglione-Gertsch M, O′Neill A, Price KN, Goldhirsch A, Coates AS, et al. Adjuvant chemotherapy followed by goserelin versus either modality alone for premenopausal lymph node-negative breast cancer: A randomized trial. J Natl Cancer Inst 2003;95:1833-46.
- 28 LHRH-agonists in Early Breast Cancer Overview group, Cuzick J, Ambroisine L, Davidson N, Jakesz R, Kaufmann M, et al. Use of luteinising-hormone-releasing hormone agonists as adjuvant treatment in premenopausal patients with hormone-receptor-positive breast cancer: A meta-analysis of individual patient data from randomised adjuvant trials. Lancet 2007;369:1711-23.
- 29 Chojecki A, Wong S, Toppmeyer D. Optimal management of the premenopausal patient with estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer. American Society of Clinical Oncology educational book/ASCO American Society of Clinical Oncology Meeting. 2014:e12-5. Epub 2014/05/27. doi: 10.14694/EdBook_AM.2014.34.e12. PubMed PMID: 24857090.
- 30 Pagani O, O′Neill A, Castiglione M, Gelber RD, Goldhirsch A, Rudenstam CM, et al. Prognostic impact of amenorrhoea after adjuvant chemotherapy in premenopausal breast cancer patients with axillary node involvement: Results of the International Breast Cancer Study Group (IBCSG) Trial VI. Eur J Cancer 1998;34:632-40.
- 31 Parulekar WR, Day AG, Ottaway JA, Shepherd LE, Trudeau ME, Bramwell V, et al. Incidence and prognostic impact of amenorrhea during adjuvant therapy in high-risk premenopausal breast cancer: Analysis of a National Cancer Institute of Canada Clinical Trials Group Study - NCIC CTG MA.5. J Clin Oncol 2005;23:6002-8.
- 32 International Breast Cancer Study Group, Colleoni M, Gelber S, Goldhirsch A, Aebi S, Castiglione-Gertsch M, et al. Tamoxifen after adjuvant chemotherapy for premenopausal women with lymph node-positive breast cancer: International Breast Cancer Study Group Trial 13-93. J Clin Oncol 2006;24:1332-41.
- 33 Walshe JM, Denduluri N, Swain SM. Amenorrhea in premenopausal women after adjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 2006;24:5769-79.
- 34 Swain SM, Jeong JH, Geyer CE Jr, Costantino JP, Pajon ER, Fehrenbacher L, et al. Longer therapy, iatrogenic amenorrhea, and survival in early breast cancer. N Engl J Med 2010;362:2053-65.
- 35 Howell A, Cuzick J, Baum M, Buzdar A, Dowsett M, Forbes JF, et al. Results of the ATAC (Arimidex, Tamoxifen, Alone or in Combination) trial after completion of 5 years′ adjuvant treatment for breast cancer. Lancet 2005;365:60-2.
- 36 Breast International Group (BIG) 1-98 Collaborative Group, Thürlimann B, Keshaviah A, Coates AS, Mouridsen H, Mauriac L, et al. A comparison of letrozole and tamoxifen in postmenopausal women with early breast cancer. N Engl J Med 2005;353:2747-57.
- 37 Dowsett M, Folkerd E, Doody D, Haynes B. The biology of steroid hormones and endocrine treatment of breast cancer. Breast 2005;14:452-7.
- 38 Goss PE, Ingle JN, Martino S, Robert NJ, Muss HB, Livingston RB, et al. Impact of premenopausal status at breast cancer diagnosis in women entered on the placebo-controlled NCIC CTG MA17 trial of extended adjuvant letrozole. Ann Oncol 2013;24:355-61.
- 39 Gnant M, Mlineritsch B, Stoeger H, Luschin-Ebengreuth G, Knauer M, Moik M, et al. Zoledronic acid combined with adjuvant endocrine therapy of tamoxifen versus anastrozol plus ovarian function suppression in premenopausal early breast cancer: Final analysis of the Austrian Breast and Colorectal Cancer Study Group Trial 12. Ann Oncol 2015;26:313-20.
- 40 Rugo HS. Hormone Therapy for Early Stage Breast Cancer: Stratifying Benefit and Toxicity. San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium; December, 9-13 2014.
- 41 Pfeiler G, Königsberg R, Fesl C, Mlineritsch B, Stoeger H, Singer CF, et al. Impact of body mass index on the efficacy of endocrine therapy in premenopausal patients with breast cancer: An analysis of the prospective ABCSG-12 trial. J Clin Oncol 2011;29:2653-9.
- 42 Pagani O, Regan MM, Walley BA, Fleming GF, Colleoni M, Láng I, et al. Adjuvant exemestane with ovarian suppression in premenopausal breast cancer. N Engl J Med 2014;371: 107-18.
- 43 Francis PA, Regan MM, Fleming GF, Láng I, Ciruelos E, Bellet M, et al. Adjuvant ovarian suppression in premenopausal breast cancer. N Engl J Med 2015;372:436-46.
- 44 Ribi K, Luo W, Bernhard J, Francis PA, Bellet M, Burstein HJ, et al. SOFT Investigators and International Breast Cancer Study Group, Bern, Switzerland: Patient-reported endocrine symptoms, sexual functioning and quality of life (QoL) in the IBCSG SOFT trial: Adjuvant treatment with tamoxifen (T) alone versus T plus ovarian function suppression (OFS) in premenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive (HR+) early breast cancer (BC). [S3-09] San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium; December, 9-13 2014.