Subscribe to RSS
The current status of pediatric radiology in India: A conference-based surveyFinancial support and sponsorship Nil.
Introduction: Like most other developing countries, India has a large proportion of children among its population. However, the facilities for adequate treatment of this large population is inadequate. The development of pediatric radiology as a subspecialty is still at an infant stage in India. The goal of our study was to assess the awareness about the current status of pediatric radiology in India. Materials and Methods: A questionnaire was handed over to all attendees of a pediatric radiology conference to assess their opinion regarding the adequacy of pediatric training and practice in India. The questionnaire consisted of 10 multiple-choice and two descriptive questions. Descriptive statistical methods were used for analyzing the results. Results: Eighty-one out of 400 delegates responded to the questionnaire. Among these 81 respondents, 50 (61.7%) felt that exposure to pediatric cases during postgraduate course was inadequate. Sixty-three out of 81 (77.7%) respondents thought that specialized training is required for practicing pediatric radiology, and 79 respondents (97%) felt that the number of such training programmes should increase. Forty-five out of 81 respondents (55.5%) were interested in pursuing pediatric radiology as a career. Conclusion: According to the opinion of the respondents of our survey, pediatric radiology remains an underdeveloped speciality in India. Considering the proportion of the population in the pediatric age and the poor health indicators in this age group, elaborate measures, as suggested, need to be implemented to improve pediatric radiology training and the care of sick children in India.
Article published online:
27 July 2021
© 2017. Indian Radiological Association. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 World Population Prospects: The 2015 Revision - Special Aggregates, DVD Edition. [Internet]. United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division (2015); 2015 [last accessed on 2016 Aug 24]. Available from: https://esa.un.org/unpd/wpp/DVD/Files/...BOTH_SEXES.XLSX.
- 2 http://economictimes.indiatimes.com//articleshow/45190294.cms [Internet]. The Economic Times. [Last accessed on 2016 May 13]. Available from: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com//articleshow/45190294.cms.
- 3 Global Health Expenditure Database [Internet]. WHO Global Health Expenditure Database. [Last accessed on 2016 Jun 19]. Available from: http://apps.who.int/nha/database/Key_Indicators/Index/en.
- 4 Health expenditure, total (% of GDP) | Data [Internet]. World Bank Data. [Last accessed on 2016 Aug 28]. Available from: http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.XPD.TOTL.ZS?view=chart.
- 5 Liu L, Oza S, Hogan D, Perin J, Rudan I, Lawn JE, et al. Global, regional, and national causes of child mortality in 2000–13, with projections to inform post-2015 priorities: An updated systematic analysis. Lancet 2015;385:430-40.
- 6 Maynard CD. SOS: Can We Save Pediatric Radiology? Yearb Diagn Radiol 2006;2006:215-6.
- 7 Merewitz L, Sunshine JH. A Portrait of Pediatric Radiologists in the United States. Am J Roentgenol 2006;186:12-22.
- 8 Gunderman RB. Strategies for attracting residents to understaffed radiologic specialties: The case of pediatric radiology. J Am Coll Radiol 2004;1:800-3.
- 9 Radiologists Face Challenges in Era of Subspecialization [Internet]. RSA news. 2013 [Last accessed on 2016 Apr 25]. Available from: http://www.rsna.org/NewsDetail.aspx?id = 10112
- 10 Sidhu A, Sheikh N, Chavhan G, Mann E, Ramakantan R, Jankharia B, et al. Improving pediatric radiology in India. Pediatr Radiol 2014;44:657-65.
- 11 Jankharia B. The subspecialization conundrum. Indian J Radiol Imaging 2010;20:1.
- 12 Alcalá-Galiano A, Arribas-García IJ, Martín-Pérez MA, Romance A, Montalvo-Moreno JJ, Juncos JMM. Pediatric Facial Fractures: Children Are Not Just Small Adults. RadioGraphics 2008;28:441-61.
- 13 Welker KM, Patton A. Assessment of normal myelination with magnetic resonance imaging. Semin Neurol 2012;32:15-28.
- 14 Arlachov Y, Ganatra RH. Sedation/anaesthesia in paediatric radiology. Br J Radiol 2012;85:e1018-31.
- 15 Pearce MS, Salotti JA, Little MP, McHugh K, Lee C, Kim KP, et al. Radiation exposure from CT scans in childhood and subsequent risk of leukaemia and brain tumours: A retrospective cohort study. Lancet 2012;380:499-505.
- 16 Radiation Risks and Pediatric Computed Tomography [Internet]. National Cancer Institute. [Last accessed on 2016 May 4]. Available from: http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/radiation/pediatric-ct-scans.
- 17 Mathews JD, Forsythe AV, Brady Z, Butler MW, Goergen SK, Byrnes GB, et al. Cancer risk in 680 000 people exposed to computed tomography scans in childhood or adolescence: Data linkage study of 11 million Australians. BMJ 2013;346:f2360.
- 18 Garabrant M, Morrill, M, Gilbert D, Ferrey C. Emerging Trends and Technology In Paediatric Radiology [Internet]. Advisory Board Company. 2016 [Last accessed on 2016 Aug 28]. Available from: https://www.advisory.com/-/media/ABI/Research/CII/Research-Briefs/2015/Emerging-Trends-and-Technology-in-Paediatric-Radiology.pdf.
- 19 Krishnamurthy R. The subspecialty conundrum. Indian J Radiol Imaging 2010;20:237.
- 20 Saxena AK, Kushaljit Singh Sodhi, Khandelwal N. Future of Pediatric Radiology in India. J Int Med Sci Acad 2013;26:77-8.
- 21 Awards [Internet]. Heidi Patriquin International Fellowship for Education. 2016 [Last accessed on 2016 Nov 13]. Available from: http://www.pedrad.org/Research/SPR-Research-Education-Foundation/Heidi-Patriquin-International-Fellowship.
- 22 Derek Harwood-Nash International Fellowship [Internet]. Radiological Society of North America. [Last accessed on 2016 Nov 13]. Available from: https://www.rsna.org/Derek_Harwood-Nash_International_Fellowship.aspx.
- 23 ESOR.org: Exchange Programme for Paediatric Radiology Fellowship [Internet]. European School of Radiology. 2016 [Last accessed on 2016 Nov 13]. Available from: http://www.esor.org/cms/website.php?id=/en/programmes/paediatric_radiology.htm.