Subscribe to RSS
Real-time ultrasound: Key factor in identifying celiac artery compression syndrome
The median arcuate ligament syndrome (MALS) or celiac artery compression syndrome (CACS) is a rare entity, presenting clinically with postprandial abdominal pain and weight loss. The diagnosis is made on computed tomography (CT) angiography, which reveals extrinsic compression of the proximal part of the celiac artery by the median arcuate ligament, producing a characteristic hooked appearance. We report a case of the celiac artery compression syndrome, diagnosed by Doppler USG evaluation.
KeywordsCeliac artery - celiac artery compression syndrome - Doppler ultrasound - Doppler USG - arcuate ligament syndrome
30 July 2021 (online)
© 2015. Indian Radiological Association. This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonDerivative-NonCommercial-License, permitting copying and reproduction so long as the original work is given appropriate credit. Contents may not be used for commercial purposes, or adapted, remixed, transformed or built upon. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/).
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Chaiwatcharayut W, Lekah A, Kurklinsky A. Celiacomesenteric trunk as a cause of median arcuate ligament syndrome. J Med Ultrasound 2013;21:39-42.
- 2 Göya C, Hamidi C, Hattapoðlu S, Çetinçakmak MG, Teke M, Kuday S. Diagnosis of median arcuate ligament syndrome on multidetector computed tomography. J Med Cases 2013;4:616-9.
- 3 Chou SQ, Kwok KY, Wong LS, Fung DH, Wong WK. Imaging features of median arcuate ligament syndrome. J Hong Kong Col Radiol 2010;13:101-3.
- 4 Karahan OI, Kahriman G, Yikilmaz A, Ok E. Celiac artery compression syndrome: Diagnosis with multislice CT. Diagn Interv Radiol 2007;13:90-3.
- 5 Gruber H, Loizides A, Peer S, Gruber I. Ultrasound of the median arcuate ligament syndrome: A new approach to diagnosis. Med Ultrason 2012;14:5-9.
- 6 Ozel A, Toksoy G, Ozdogan O, Mahmutoglu AS, Karpat Z. Ultrasonographic diagnosis of median arcuate ligament syndrome: A report of two cases. Med Ultrason 2012;14:154-7.