Subscribe to RSS
"Partial duplication of lower lip and hemimandible" A rare case
21 November 2019 (online)
Duplication of mandible and lower lip is a very rare congenital entity. We report an extremely uncommon case of Congenital Duplication of Lower lip and Mandible in a 3 year old girl, who was treated surgically in a single stage for correction of both lip and mandible. This was a commissure preserving single staged procedure. The Surgical procedure, the problems related to this anomaly and the embryology are discussed.
- 1 McLaughlin CR. Reduplication of mouth, tongue and mandible. Br J Plast Surg 1948;1:89-95.
- 2 Fontaine SB. Congenital anomalies of the floor mouth and the mandible. J Oral Surg 1950;8:331-5.
- 3 Maisels DO. Reduplication of the mouth and mandible. Br J PlastSurg 1981;34:23-5.
- 4 Davies D, Morrison G, Miller BH. Reduplication of the mouth and mandible. Br J Plast Surg 1973;26:84-9.
- 5 Shaikh MF, Naik N, Shah C. Duplication of hemi mandible and oral cavity, presentation of an adult patient: A case report. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2008;61:183-5.
- 6 Suhaili DN, Somasundaram S, Lau SH, Ajura AJ, Roslan AR, Ramli R. Duplication of lower lip and mandible- A rare diprosopus. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 2011;75:131-3.
- 7 Wu JK, Staffenberg DA, Mulliken JB, Shanske AL. Diprosopus: A unique case and review of the literature. Teratology 2002;66:282-7.
- 8 Akpuaka FC, Nwozo JC. Reduplication of the mouth an mandible. Plast Reconstr Surg 1990;86:971-2.
- 9 Barr M Jr. Facial duplication: Case, review, and embryogenesis. Teratology 1982;25:153-9.
- 10 Bell RC. A child with two tongues (oral-facial-digital syndrome). Br J Plast Surg 1971;24:193-6.
- 11 Nakamura J, Tomonari H, Goto S. True median cleft of the upper lip associated with three pedunculated club-shaped skin masses. Plast Reconstr Surg 1985;75:727-31.
- 12 Price JE Jr, Zarem HA. Duplication of the mandible. Plast Reconstr Surg 1978;64:104-5.
- 13 Verdi GD, Hersh JH, Russell LJ. Partial duplication of the face: Case report and review. Plast Reconstr Surg 1991;87:759-62.
- 14 Fearon JA, Mulliken JB. Midfacial duplication: A rare malformation sequence. Plast Reconstr Surg 1987;79:260-4.
- 15 Taruffi C. Storia della teratologia. vol. 2. Bologna: Regia Tipografia; 1882. p. 488-514.
- 16 Avery JK, Hayward JR. Case report: Duplication of oral structures with cleft palate. Cleft Palate J 1969;6:506-15.
- 17 Bhattacharya S, Tripathi A, Pradhan KL, Bhatnagar SK, Chandra R. Rare craniofacial clefts with duplication of alveolar arch. Eur J Plast Surg 1988;11: 83-86
- 18 Datta AK. Essentials of human embryology. 6 th ed. Indian Press: Calcutta p. 119-21.