Soft tissue chondroma of hard palate associated with cleft palate
21. November 2019 (online)
Soft tissue chondroma of palate is very rare. It has never been reported in a cleft palate patient. We report a case of 22-year-old male who came with asymptomatic swelling on the palate since birth, along with complete cleft of secondary palate. He had symptoms related to cleft palate only, i.e., nasal regurgitation and speech abnormalities. Swelling was excised and the cleft palate was repaired. Histopathological examination revealed chondroma of the palate. The patient had no recurrence after 2 years of follow-up.
- 1 Dahlin DC, Salvador AH. Cartilaginous tumors of the soft tissues of the hands and feet. Mayo Clin Proc 1974;49:721-6.
- 2 Krolls SO, Jacoway JR, Alexander WN. Osseous choristomas (Osteomas) of intraoral soft tissues. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1971;32:588-95.
- 3 Kawanoa T, Yanamotoa S, Kawasakia G, Mizunoa A, Fujita S, Ikedab T. Soft tissue chondroma of the hard palate: A case report. Asian J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2011;23:92-5.(Indexed in Embase)
- 4 Ramanathan K, Keat TC, Singh H. Chondroma of the palate: Case report. Aust Dent J 1970;15:478-81.
- 5 Snyder SR, Merkow LP. Benign chondroma of the palate: Report of case. J Oral Surg 1973;31:873-5.
- 6 Ide F. Chondromyxoid tumor of palate. J Oral Pathol Med 2006;35:523-4.
- 7 Zlatkin MB, Lander PH, Begin LR, Hadjipavlou A. Soft-tissue chondroma. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1985;144:1263-7.
- 8 Kransdorf MJ, Meis JM. Extraskeletal osseous and cartilaginous tumor of the extremities. Radiographics 1993;13:853-84.