Subscribe to RSS
Thoracodorsal artery perforator fasciocutaneous flap: A versatile alternative for coverage of various soft tissue defects
21 November 2019 (online)
Objective: The thoracodorsal artery perforator (TDAP) flap has contributed to the efficient reconstruction of tissue defects that require a large amount of cutaneous tissue. The optimal reconstruction method should provide thin, and well-vascularized tissue with minimal donor-site morbidity. The indications for the use of this particular flap with other flaps are discussed in this article. Materials and Methods: Thirteen patients underwent soft tissue reconstruction using TDAP flaps between 2009 and 2011. Of those, there were four cases of antecubital burn contracture, three cases of axillary burn contracture, two cases of giant hair cell nevus of upper extremity, two cases of axillary reconstruction following severe recurrent hidradenitis, and two cases of crush injury. All patients were male and their ages ranged from 20 to 23 (average, 21 years). The mean follow-up period was 8 months (range, 4-22 months). Results: All reconstructive procedures were completed without any major complications. Minor complications related to transfered flaps were wound dehiscence in one case, transient venous congestion in two cases. Minor complication related to the donor site was seroma in one case. The success rate was 100%, with satisfactory cosmetic results. Conclusions: The TDAP flap is a safe and extremely versatile flap that offers significant advantages in acute and delayed reconstruction. Although the vascular anatomy may be variable, free and pedicled TDAP flap is a versatile alternative for soft tissue defects. It adapts very well to the soft tissue defects with acceptable donor site scar.
- 1 Khoobehi K, Allen RJ, Montegut WJ. Thoracodorsal artery perforator flap for reconstruction. South Med J 1996;89:S110-7.
- 2 Schwabegger AH, Bodner G, Ninkovic M, Piza-Katzer H. Thoracodorsal artery perforator (TAP) flap: Report of our experience and review of the literature. Br J Plast Surg 2002;55:390-5.
- 3 Hamdi M, Van Landuyt K, Monstrey S, Blondeel P. Pedicled perforator flaps in breast reconstruction: A new concept. Br J Plast Surg 2004;57:531-9.
- 4 Guerra AB, Metzinger SE, Lund KM, Cooper MM, Allen RJ, Dupin CL. The thoracodorsal artery perforator flap: Clinical experience and anatomic study with emphasis on harvest techniques. Plast Reconstr Surg 2004;114:32-43.
- 5 Van Landuyt K, Hamdi M, Blondeel P, Monstrey S. The compound thoracodorsal perforator flap in the treatment of combined soft-tissue defects of sole and dorsum of the foot. Br J Plast Surg 2005;58:371-8.
- 6 Uygur F, Sever C, Tuncer S, Alagöz S. Reconstruction of postburn antebrachial contractures using pedicled thoracodorsal artery perforator flaps. Plast Reconstr Surg 2009;123:1544-52.
- 7 Uygur F, Kulahci Y, Sever C, Duman H. Reconstruction of postburn thenar contractures using the free thoracodorsal artery perforator flap. Plast Reconstr Surg 2009;124:217-21.
- 8 Kulahci Y, Sever C, Uygur F, Oksuz S, Sahin C, Duman H. Pre-expanded pedicled thoracodorsal artery perforator flap for postburn axillary contracture reconstruction. Microsurgery 2011;31:26-31.
- 9 Koshima I, Soeda S. Inferior epigastric artery skin flaps without rectus abdominis muscle. Br J Plast Surg 1989;42:645-8.
- 10 Angrigiani C, Grilli D, Siebert J. Latissimus dorsi musculocutaneous flap without muscle. Plast Reconstr Surg 1995;96:1608-14.
- 11 Spinelli HM, Fink JA, Muzaffar AR. The latissimus dorsi perforator-based fasciocutaneous flap. Ann Plast Surg 1996;37:500-6.
- 12 Kim JT, Koo BS, Kim SK. The thin latissimus dorsi perforator-based free flap for resurfacing. Plast Reconstr Surg 2001;107:374-82.
- 13 Thomas BP, Geddes CR, Tang M, Williams J, Morris SF. The vascular basis of the thoracodorsal artery perforator flap. Plast Reconstr Surg 2005;116:818-22.
- 14 Mun GH, Lee SJ, Jeon BJ. Perforator topography of the thoracodorsal artery perforator flap. Plast Reconstr Surg 2008;121:497-504.
- 15 Ortiz CL, Castillo VL, Pilarte FS, Barraguer EL. Experience using the thoracodorsal artery perforator flap in axillary hidradentitis suppurativa cases. Aesthetic Plast Surg 2010;34:785-92.
- 16 Ortiz CL, Mendoza MM, Sempere LN, Sanz JS, Torres AN, Barraquer EL.Versatility of the pedicled thoracodorsal artery perforator (TDAP) flap in soft tissue reconstruction. Ann Plast Surg 2007;58:315-20.
- 17 Ayhan S, Tuncer S, Demir Y, Kandal S. Thoracodorsal artery perforator flap: A versatile alternative for various soft tissue defects. J Reconstr Microsurg 2008;24:285-93.
- 18 Asuku ME, Ibrahim A, Ijekeye F. Post-burn axillary contractures in pediatric patients: A retrospective survey of management and outcome. Burns 2008;34:1190-5.
- 19 Er E, Ucar C. Reconstruction of axillary contractures with thorocodorsal perforator island flap. Burns 2005;31:726-30.
- 20 Yazar S, Lin CH, Lin YT, Ulusal AE, Wei FC. Outcome comparison between free muscle and free fasciocutaneous flaps for reconstruction of distal third and ankle traumatic open tibial fractures. Plast Reconstr Surg 2006;117:2468-75.
- 21 Karsýdag S, Akçal A, Turgut G, Uðurlu K, Baþ L. Lower extremity soft tissue reconstruction with free flap based on subscapular artery. Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc 2011;45:100-8.
- 22 Serletti JM, Moran SL. Soft tissue coverage options for dorsal foot wounds. Foot Ankle Clin 2001;6:839-51.
- 23 Uygur F, Sever C, Kulahci Y, Gideroðlu K. Reconstruction of postburn inguinal contractures using the pedicled anterolateral thigh flap. Burns 2009;35:e3-7.
- 24 Nasir S, Aydin MA. Reconstruction of soft tissue defect of lower extremity with free SCIA/SIEA flap. Ann Plast Surg 2008;61:622-6.
- 25 Engel H, Gazyakan E, Cheng MH, Piel D, Germann G, Giessler G. Customized reconstruction with the free anterolateral thigh perforator flap. Microsurgery 2008;28:489-94.
- 26 Ulusal BG, Lin YT, Ulusal AE, Lin CH, Yen JT. Reconstruction of foot defects with free lateral arm fasciocutaneous flaps: Analysis of fifty patients. Microsurgery 2005;25:581-8.
- 27 Maruyama Y. Ascending scapular flap and its use for thetreatment of axillary burn scar contracture. Br J Plast Surg 1991;44:97-101.
- 28 Kim SE, Rhyou IH, Suh BG, Chung KC. Use of thoracodorsal artery perforator flap for soft tissue reconstruction in children. Ann Plast Surg 2006;56:451-4.
- 29 Munhoz AM, Montag E, Arruda EG, Aldrighi C, Gemperli R, Aldrighi JM, et al. The role of the lateral thoracodorsal fasciocutaneous flap in immediate conservative breast surgery reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg 2006;117:1699-710.
- 30 Sever C, Bayram Y, Sahin C. Thoracodorsal artery perforator flap: Basic surgical determinants. Arch Clin Exp Surg 2012.doi: 10.5455/aces.20120506072849.