Subscribe to RSS
Bilateral shoulder arthrodesis in a Pekinese using three-dimensional printed patient-specific osteotomy and reduction guides
14 October 2016
Accepted: 31 January 2017
23 December 2017 (online)
Objective: To report the use of computeraided design software for virtual surgical planning and design of three-dimensional printed patient-specific osteotomy and reduction guides for facilitation of bilateral shoulder arthrodesis in a dog.
Methods: A three-year-old male entire Pekinese was presented unable to walk due to bilateral severe medial shoulder instability. Computed tomographic data was processed to yield three-dimensional mesh representations of the humeri and scapulae which could be manipulated in computeraided design software. Key virtual surgical planning steps included joint realignment, osteo-tomies of the glenoid and humeral head, and reduction. Virtual osteotomy and reduction guides were designed, three-dimensionally printed, and used intra-operatively.
Results: Appropriate alignment, reduction and fixation of the humeri and scapulae were achieved bilaterally. The patient regained the ability to walk unassisted after two weeks and was subsequently able to exercise normally without lameness.
Clinical significance: Patient-specific, three-dimensional printed osteotomy and reduction guides facilitated accurate bilateral shoulder arthrodeses.
- 1 Fitzpatrick N, Yeadon R, Smith TJ. et al. Shoulder arthrodesis in 14 dogs. Vet Surg 2012; 41: 745-754.
- 2 Pucheu B, Duhautois B. Surgical treatment of shoulder instability. A retrospective study on 76 cases (1993-2007). Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2008; 21: 368-374.
- 3 Edinger DT, Manley PA. Arthrodesis of the shoulder for synovial osteochondromatosis. J Small Anim Pract 1998; 39: 397-400.
- 4 Kalff S, Gemmill T. Proximal focal humeral deficiency in a large breed dog. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2012; 25: 532-536.
- 5 Fowler JD, Presnell KR, Holmberg DL. Scapulohumeral arthrodesis: results in seven dogs. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1988; 24: 667-672.
- 6 Herron MR. Scapulo-humeral arthrodesis: an evaluation of two techniques in 33 cases [Abstract]. Vet Surg 1989; 18: 78.
- 7 Hespel A-M, Wilhite R, Hudson J. Invited review - Applications for 3D printers in veterinary medicine. Vet Radiol Ultrasound 2014; 55: 347-358.
- 8 Harrysson O, Cormier DR, Marcellin-Little DJ. et al. Rapid prototyping for treatment of canine limb deformities. Rapid Prototyping J 2003; 9: 37-42.
- 9 Dismukes DI, Fox DB, Tomlinson JL. et al. Use of radiographic measures and three-dimensional computed tomographic imaging in surgical correction of an antebrachial deformity in a dog. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2008; 232: 68-73.
- 10 Kwan TW, Marcellin-Little DJ, Harrysson OL. Correction of biapical radial deformities by use of bi-level hinged circular external fixation and distraction osteogenesis in 13 dogs. Vet Surg 2014; 43: 316-329.
- 11 DeTora MD, Boudrieau RJ. Complex angular and torsional deformities (distal femoral malunions). Preoperative planning using stereolithography and surgical correction with locking plate fixation in four dogs. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2016; 29: 416-425.
- 12 Marcellin-Little DJ, Harrysson OL, Cansizoglu O. In vitro evaluation of a custom cutting jig and custom plate for canine tibial plateau leveling. Am J Vet Res 2008; 69: 961-966.
- 13 Crosse KR, Worth AJ. Computer-assisted surgical correction of an antebrachial deformity in a dog. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2010; 23: 354-361.
- 14 Oxley B, Behr S. Stabilisation of a cranial cervical vertebral fracture using a 3D-printed patient-specific drill guide. J Sm Anim Pract 2016; 57: 277.
- 15 Schweizer A, Mauler F, Vlachopoulos L. et al. Computer-assisted 3-dimensional reconstructions of scaphoid fractures and nonunions with and without the use of patient-Sspecific guides: early clinical outcomes and postoperative assessments of reconstruction accuracy. J Hand Surg Am 2016; 41: 59-69.
- 16 Fürnstahl P, Vlachopoulos L, Schweizer A. et al. Complex osteotomies of tibial plateau malunions using computer-assisted planning and patient-specific surgical guides. J Orthop Trauma 2015; 29: e270-e276.
- 17 Miyake J, Murase T, Oka K. et al. Computer-assisted corrective osteotomy for malunited diaphyseal forearm fractures. J Bone Joint Surg 2012; 94: 1766-1773.
- 18 Miyake J, Murase T, Moritomo H. et al. Distal radius osteotomy with volar locking plates based on computer simulation. Clin Orthop Rel Res 2011; 469: 1766-1773.
- 19 Ma B, Kunz M, Gammon B. et al. A laboratory comparison of computer navigation and individualized guides for distal radius osteotomy. Int J Comp Assist Radiol Surg 2014; 9: 713-724.
- 20 Fitch RB. Clinical evaluation of prosthetic medial glenohumeral ligament repair in the dog (ten cases). Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2001; 14: 222-228.
- 21 Miller DL, Goswami T. A review of locking compression plate biomechanics and their advantages as internal fixators in fracture healing. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon) 2007; 22: 1049-1062.
- 22 Kitchell RL, Whalen LR, Bailey CS. et al. Electrophysiologic studies of cutaneous nerves of the thoracic limb of the dog. Am J Vet Res 1980; 41: 61-76.
- 23 Ajuied A, Smith C, Carlos A. et al. Saw cut accuracy in knee arthroplasty - an experimental case-control study. J Arthritis 2015; 4: 144.