Subscribe to RSS
Surgical treatment of a hemivertebra by partial ventral corpectomy and fusion in a Labrador puppy
Received:29 April 2009
Accepted:09 March 2010
17 December 2017 (online)
This report describes a partial ventral vertebrectomy and interbody fusion for a progressive hemivertebra disease using a ventral transthoracic approach in a 3.6-month-old male Labrador puppy. The goal of this article is to clarify the potential advantages of this uncommon surgical technique for this condition and to discuss its technical aspects.
- 1 Kirberger RM. Congenital malformation and variation of the lumbar vertebrae in a dog. J South Afr Vet Assoc 1989; 60 (02) 111-112.
- 2 Onimus M. Malformations vertébrales. In Nordin JY, Masquelet AC. editors. Pathologie Chirurgicale. Tome 3. Paris: Masson; 1992: 45-52.
- 3 Bailey CS, Morgan JP. Congenital spinal malformations. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 1992; 22: 985-1015.
- 4 Jeffery ND, Smith PM, Talbot CE. Imaging findings and surgical treatment of hemivertebra in three dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2007; 230: 532-536.
- 5 Sharp NJH, Wheeler SJ. Miscellaneous conditions. In Sharp NJH, Wheeler SJ. editors. Small animal spinal disorders: diagnosis and surgery. 2nd ed. London: Elsevier Mosby; 2005: 319-337.
- 6 Colter SB. Congenital abnormalities of the spine. In Smeak DD, Borjab MJ, Bloomberg MS. editors. Disease mechanisms in small animal surgery. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 1993: 950-959.
- 7 Stalin CE, Pratt JN, Smith PM. et al. Thoracic stenosis causing lateral compression of the spinal cord in two immature Dogues de Bordeaux. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2009; 22: 59-62.
- 8 Aikawa T, Kanazono S, Yoshigae Y. et al. Vertebral stabilization using positively threaded profile pins and polymethylmethacrylate, with or without laminectomy, for spinal canal stenosis and vertebral instability caused by congenital thoracic vertebral anomalies. Vet Surg 2007; 36: 432-441.
- 9 Malik Y, Konar M, Wernick M. et al. Chronic inter-vertebral disk herniation associated with fused vertebrae treated by vertebral lateral corpectomy in a cat. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2009; 22: 170-173.
- 10 Cloward RB. The anterior approach for removal of ruptured cervical disks. J Neurosurg 1958; 15: 602-617.
- 11 Bailey RW, Badgley CE. Stabilization of the cervical spine by anterior fusion. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1960; 42A: 565-594.