On Contributing to the Progress of Medical Informatics as PublisherCongratulations to IMIA Honorary Fellow Dieter Bergemann on his 80th Birthday!
11 September 2017 (online)
May 1st, 2017, will mark Dieter Bergemann’s 80th birthday. As Chief Executive Officer and Owner of Schattauer Publishers from 1983 to 2016, the biomedical and health informatics community owes him a great debt of gratitude. The past and present editors of Methods of Information in Medicine, the IMIA Yearbook of Medical Informatics, and Applied Clinical Informatics want to honour and thank Dieter Bergemann by providing a brief biography that emphasizes his contributions, by reviewing his critical role as an exceptionally supportive publisher for Schattauer’s three biomedical and health informatics periodicals, and by sharing some personal anecdotes. Over the past 40 years, Dieter Bergemann has been an influential, if behind-the-scenes, driving force in biomedical and health informatics publications, helping to ensure success in the dissemination of our field’s research and practice.
- 1 McCray AT, Gefeller O, Aronsky D, Leong TY, Sarkar IN, Bergemann D. et al. The birth and evolution of a discipline devoted to information in biomedicine and health care. As reflected in its longest running journal. Methods Inf Med 2011; 50: 491-507.
- 2 Van Bemmel JH, Bergemann D. In Memoriam. Gustav Wagner (1918 – 2006). Founding Editor of Methods. Methods Inf Med 2007; 46: 1.
- 3 Haux R. On the methodology and scientific fundamentals of organizing, representing and analysing data, information and knowledge in biomedicine and health care. Methods Inf Med 2011; 50: 487-90.
- 4 Willems JL. Preface. Yearb Med Inform. 1992: 7.
- 5 Koch S, Haux R, Gefeller O, Sarkar IN, Bergemann D. Methods Open - A New Journal Track Starting in 2017. Methods Inf Med 2016; Dec 7; 55: 478-80.
- 6 Haux R, Kuballa S, Schulze M, Böhm C, Gefeller O, Haaf J. et al. Exploring Possibilities for Transforming Established Subscription-based Scientific Journals into Open Access Journals. Present Situation, Transformation Criteria, and Exemplary Implementation within Trans-O-MIM. Methods Inf Med 2016; Dec 7; 55: 481-7.
- 7 Lehmann CU, Jaulent MC, Séroussi B. Silver Anniversary: 25 Editions of the IMIA Yearbook. Yearb Med Inform. 2016 Suppl 1: S3-5.
- 8 Lehmann CU, Altuwaijri MM, Li YC, Ball MJ, Haux R. Translational research in medical informatics or from theory to practice. A call for an applied informatics journal. Methods Inf Med 2008; 47: 1-3.