The IMIA History Working Group: Inception through the IMIA History Taskforce, and Major Events Leading Up to the 50th Anniversary of IMIA
08 May 2017
11 September 2017 (online)
Background: The 50th Anniversary of IMIA will be celebrated in 2017 at the World Congress of Medical Informatics in China. This takes place 50 years after the International Federation of Information Processing (IFIP) Societies approved the formation of a new Technical Committee (TC) 4 on Medical Information Processing, which was the predecessor of IMIA, under the leadership of Dr. Francois Grémy. The IMIA History Working Group (WG) was approved in 2014 to document and write about the history of the field and its organizations.
Objectives: The goals of this paper are to describe how the IMIA History WG arose and developed, including its meetings and projects, leading to the forthcoming 50th Anniversary of IMIA.
Methods: We give a chronology of major developments leading up to the current work of the IMIA History WG and how it has stimulated writing on the international history of biomedical and health informatics, sponsoring the systematic compilation and writing of articles and stories from pioneers and leaders in the field, and the organization of workshops and panels over the past six years, leading towards the publication of the contributed volume on the 50th IMIA Anniversary History as an eBook by IOS Press.
Conclusions: This article leads up to the IMIA History eBook which will contain original autobiographical retrospectives by pioneers and leaders in the field, together with professional organizational histories of the national and regional societies and working groups of IMIA, with commentary on the main themes and topics which have evolved as scientific and clinical practices have changed under the influence of new insights, technologies, and the changing socio-economic, cultural and professional circumstances around the globe over the past 50 years.
- 1 Peterson HE, Lundin P. Documenting the Use of Computers in Swedish Health Care up to 1980. Yearb Med Inform 2011; 169-74.
- 2 Van Bemmel JH. People and Ideas in Medical Informatics – A Half-Century Review. Yearb Med Inform 2011; 175-82.
- 3 Ball M. Back to the Future: What Have We Failed to Learn? How Does the Future Look?. Yearb Med Inform 2011; 196-8.
- 4 Yacubsohn V. A Short History of the Beginnings of Hospital Information Systems in Argentina. Yearb Med Inform 2012; 163-8.
- 5 Fieschi M. The Development of AI in Medicine and the Research Environment of the SPHINX Project at the Start of the 1980s. Yearb Med Inform 2012; 153-60.
- 6 Ball MJ, van Bemmel JH, Kaihara S. IMIA Presidential Retrospectives on Medical Informatics. Yearb Med Inform 2007; 165-75.
- 7 Lindberg DAB. The Evolution of Medical Informatics. In: Myers JD. editor Medical Education in the Information Age. Proc SCAMC, Assoc Amer Med Colleges 1986; 86-95.
- 8 Blum BI, Duncan K. A History of Medical Informatics. New York: Addison-Wesley. ACM History Series; 1987
- 9 Collen MF. A History of Medical Informatics in the United States. Indianapolis, IN: AMIA; 1995
- 10 The Nursing Informatics Project. http://www.amia.or/programs/working-groups/nursing-informatics/history-project.
- 11 Ozbolt J, Saba V. A brief history of nursing informatics in the United States of America. Nurs Outlook 2008; Sep-Oct; 56 (05) 199-205 e2.
- 12 Hasman A, Albert A, Wainwright P, Kar R, Sosa M. Education and Training in Health Informatics in Europe. Amsterdam: IOS Press; 1995
- 13 Zvárová J. Education in Methodology for Health Care – EuroMISE. Methods Inf Med 1994; 33: 315-7.
- 14 Hasman A, Prokosch HU, Dudeck J, Gell G, Engelbrecht R. editors Medical Infobahn for Europe. Stud Techn Health Inform 2000; 77: 1-1274.
- 15 Mihalas GI. An attempt to define major stages of Medical Informatics development. CD Proceedings IMIA-LAC Conference; Guadalajara, Mexico: 2011
- 16 Kulikowski C, McGrew C. An Informatics Approach to Chronicling the History of IMIA. Proc Medinfo 2013; 1130.
- 17 Mihalas G, Zvarova J, Kulikowski C. European History of Medical Informatics. Proc EFMI STC; Prague: 2013. www.stc2013.org/joint-activities/panels.
- 18 Mihalas GI, Zvarova J, Kulikowski C, Ball M, van Bemmel JH, Hasman A. et al History of Medical Informatics in Europe - a Short Review by Different Approach. Acta Inform Med 2014; 22 (01) 6-10.
- 19 Mihalas GI. Evolution of Trends in European Medical Informatics. Acta Inform Med 2014; 22 (01) 37-43.
- 20 Kulikowski C. The 50th Anniversary IMIA History of Medical Informatics Project. Acta Inform Med 2014; 22 (01) 68-70.
- 21 Deželić G, Kern J, Petrovečki M, Ilakovac V, Hercigonja-Szekeres M. Medical Informatics in Croatia- a Historical Survey. Acta Inform Med 2014; 22: 49-59.
- 22 Masic I, Mihalas G. Contributions to the History of Medical Informatics, Avicenna, Sarajevo. 2014
- 23 Mihalas GI, van Bemmel JH, Richards B, Engelbrecht R, Masic I, Haux R. et al Medical Informatics History - A View from Socio-Political Context in European Countries. Workshop MIE 2014, Istanbul.:
- 24 McCray A. ACMI at 30 – The Founding of the American College of Medical Informatics and the American Medical Informatics Association. Proc AMIA 2014. Washington, DC: 2014.;