Subscribe to RSS
Retroperitoneal hemangiosarcoma causing chronic hindlimb lameness in a dog
14 December 2006
Accepted 10 February 2006
18 December 2017 (online)
The clinical, radiographic, ultrasonographic, computed tomographic, surgical and histopathological findings in a Boxer dog with retroperitoneal hemangiosarcoma are described in this study. A seven-year-old, male, castrated Boxer dog was referred for evaluation of chronic hindlimb lameness. The physical examination revealed muscle atrophy and sciatic nerve deficits. Radiography and ultrasonography revealed a caudodorsal abdominal mass. Computed tomography revealed that the mass involved the left margin of the L7 vertebra, lumbosacral canal, and lumbosacral plexus. At surgery, a large retroperitoneal haematoma was removed. Histopathology of amorphous tissue found near the haematoma was consistent with haemangiosarcoma. The owner declined any further treatment. Ten weeks after discharge, the dog was euthanatized due to collapse and haemoabdomen.
- 1 Oksanen A. Haemangiosarcoma in dogs. J Comp Pathol 1978; 88: 585-595.
- 2 Brown NO. Hemangiosarcomas. Vet Clin North Am Small AnimPract 1985; 15: 569-575.
- 3 Ng Ng, Mills JN. Clinical and haematological features of haemangiosarcoma in dogs. Aust Vet J 1985; 62: 1-4.
- 4 Hosgood G. Canine hemangiosarcoma. Compend Contin Educ Small Anim Pract 1991; 13: 1065-1075.
- 5 Fosmire SP, Dickerson EB, Scott AM. et al. Canine malignant hemangiosarcoma asamodel of primitive angiogenic endothelium. Lab Invest 2004; 84: 562-572.
- 6 Smith AN. Hemangiosarcoma in dogs and cats. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2003; 33: 533-552 vi.
- 7 Leowardi C, Hinz U, Hormann Y. et al. Malignant vascular tumors: clinical presentation, surgical therapy, and long-term prognosis. Ann Surg Oncol 2005; 12: 1090-1101.
- 8 Priester WA. Hepatic angiosarcomas in dogs: an excessive frequency as compared with man. J Natl Cancer Inst 1976; 57: 451-454.
- 9 Dome Dome, Staton JF. German shepherds and splenic tumours. Vet Rec. 1978 102. 224.
- 10 Brown NO, Patnaik AK, MacEwen EG. Canine hemangiosarcoma: retrospective analysis of 104 cases. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1985; 186: 56-58.
- 11 Srebernik Srebernik, Appleby EC. Breed prevalence and sites of haemangioma and haemangiosarcoma in dogs. Vet Rec 1991; 129: 408-409.
- 12 Kleine LJ, Zook BC, Munson TO. Primary cardiac hemangiosarcomas in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1970; 157: 326-337.
- 13 Schultheiss PC. A retrospective study of visceral and nonvisceral hemangiosarcoma and hem- angiomas in domestic animals. JVet Diagn Invest 2004; 16: 522-526.
- 14 Roush JK, Bjorling DE, Lord P. Diseases of the retroperitoneal space in the dog and cat. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1990; 26: 47-54.
- 15 Tsivian A, Lev-Chelouche D, Shtabsky A. et al. Aggressive resection of retroperitoneal sarcoma is superior to simple excision: an animal study using anovel model for retroperitoneal sarcoma. J Surg Oncol 2002; 81: 144-147.
- 16 Erzen D, Sencar M, Novak J. Retroperitoneal sarcoma: 25 years of experience with aggressive surgical treatment at the Institute of Oncology, Ljubljana. J Surg Oncol 2005; 91: 1-9.
- 17 Zagars GK, Ballo MT, Pisters PW. et al. Prognostic factors for patients with localized soft-tissue sarcoma treated with conservation surgery and radiation therapy: an analysis of 225 patients. Cancer 2003; 97: 2530-2543.
- 18 Youssef E, Fontanesi J, Mott M. et al. Long-term outcome of combined modality therapy in retro- peritoneal and deep-trunk soft-tissue sarcoma: analysis of prognostic factors. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2002; 54: 514-519.
- 19 Bautista N, Su W, O'Connell TX. Retroperitoneal soft-tissue sarcomas: prognosis and treatment of primary and recurrent disease. Am Surg 2000; 66: 832-836.
- 20 Eilber FC, Eilber KS, Eilber FR. Retroperitoneal sarcomas. Curr Treat Options Oncol 2000; 1: 274-278.
- 21 Fletcher TF. The spinal cord and meninges. In: Evans HE, Christensen GC: Miller's anatomy of the dog. (2nd ed) Philadelphia: WB. Saunders; 1979: 935-971.
- 22 Fletcher TF. Lumbosacral plexus and pelvic limb myotomes of the dog. Am J Vet Res 1970; 31: 35-41.
- 23 Liptak JM, Dernell WS, Ehrhart EJ. et al. Retroperitoneal sarcomas in dogs: 14 cases (1992-2002). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2004; 224: 1471-1477.
- 24 Tucker DW, Olsen D, Kraft SL. et al. Primary hem- angiosarcoma of the iliopsoas muscle eliciting a peripheral neuropathy. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2000; 36: 163-167.
- 25 Soderstrom Soderstrom, Gilson SD. Principles of surgical oncology. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 1995; 25: 97-110.