Avulsion of the triceps tendon insertion in a cat
06 October 2006
Accepted 20 July 2006
21 December 2017 (online)
Avulsion of the insertion of the triceps tendon, which had a pre-existing tendinopathy, is described in a cat. The tendon was re-attached to the olecranon and the repair was immobilised using a type Ia trans-articular external skeletal fixator. The treatment was successful, however, mild and intermittent lameness persisted. Although it is an uncommon condition in small animals, the diagnosis should be based on careful clinical and radiographic examination.
- 1 Liehmann Liehmann, Lorinson D. Traumatic triceps tendon avulsion in a cat. J Small Anim Pract 2006; 47: 94-97.
- 2 Rajasekhar C, Kakarlapudi TK, Bhamra MS. Avulsion of the triceps tendon. Emerg Med J 2002; 19: 271-272.
- 3 Reinke JD, Mughannam AJ, Owens JM. Avulsion of the Gastrocnemius tendon in 11 dogs. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1993; 29: 410-418.
- 4 Moores AP, Comerford EJ, Tarlton JF. et al. Biomechanical and Clinical evaluation of a Modified 3-Loop Pulley suture pattern for Reattachment of Canine Tendons to Bone. Vet Surg 2004; 33: 391-397.
- 5 Gelberman RH, Boyer MI, Brodt MD. et al. The effect of gap formation at the repair site on the strength and excursion intrasynovial flexor tendons. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1999; 81: 975-982.
- 6 Langley-Hobbs SJ, Carmichael S, McCartney WT. External skeletal fixation for stabilisation of comminuted humeral fractures in cats. J Small Anim Pract 1997; 38: 280-285.
- 7 Piermattei Piermattei, Johnson KA. Approach to the humeroulnar part of the elbowjoint by tentotomy of the triceps tendon. In: An Atlas of Surgical Approaches to the Bones and Joints of the Dog and Cat. Philadelphia: Saunders; 2004: 200-207.
- 8 Sharma Sharma, Maffulli N. Tendon Injury and Tendinopathy: Healing and Repair. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2005; 87: 187-202.
- 9 Mughannam Mughannam, Reinke J. Avulsion of the Gastrocnemius tendon in three cats. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1994; 30: 550-556.
- 10 Palmer N. Bones and joints. Part III. Ectopic mineralisation and ossifications. In: Pathology of Domestic Animals. Vol 1. San Diego: Academic Press Inc; 1993: 12-14.
- 11 Muir P, Goldsmid SE, Rothwell TLW. et al. Calcifying tendionapthy of the biceps brachii in a dog. JAmVetMedAssoc 1992; 201: 1747-1749.
- 12 Inhofe Inhofe, Moneim MS. Late presentation of triceps rupture. Am J Orthop 1996; 25: 790-792.
- 13 Peacock EE. A study of the circulation in normal tendons and healing grafts. Ann Surgery 1959; 149: 415-428.
- 14 Montgomery RD. Healing of Muscle, Ligaments and Tendons. Sem Vet Med Surg (Small Anim) 1989; 4: 304-311.