Ulnocarpal arthrodesis for the treatment of radial agenesis in a dog
23 August 2006
Accepted 03 July 2006
21 December 2017 (online)
Forelimb deformity caused by radial agenesis was diagnosed in a one-year-old Shih Tzu dog. In contrast to most of the previously reported cases of radial agenesis, the humeroulnar joint was inherently stable. The deformity was treated by means of a one-stage ulnocarpal arthrodesis with the application of an eight hole dorsolateral arthrodesis bone plate and autogenous corticocancellous bone graft from the ilial wing. Radiographic evaluation at the eighth and sixteenth post-operative week showed evidence of union of the arthrodesis. At sixteen weeks post-operatively, the dog had much improved limb function. In humans afflicted with radial agenesis, ulnocarpal arthrodesis is used to restore forearm function by minimizing pain and decreasing the magnitude of angular deformity and instability at the level of the ulnocarpal joint. However, to our knowledge, this is the first report of treatment of radial agenesis in the dog by means of a one-stage, ulnocarpal arthrodesis.
- 1 Rahal SC, Volpi RS, Ciani RB. et al. Use ofthe Il- izarov method of distraction osteogenesis for the treatment of radial hemimelia in a dog. JAm Vet Med Assoc 2005; 226: 65-68.
- 2 Gemmill TJ, Clarke SP, Carmichael S. Carpal agenesis in a domestic short haired cat. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 2004; 17: 163-166.
- 3 Lewis RE, Van Sickle DC. Congenital hemimelia (agenesis) of the radius in a dog and a cat. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1970; 156: 1892-1897.
- 4 Alonso RA, Hernandez A, Diaz P. et al. An autosomal recessive form of hemimelia in dogs. Vet Rec 1982; 110: 128-129.
- 5 Winterbotham EJ, Johnson KA, Francis DJ. Radial agenesis in a cat. J Small Anim Prac 1985; 26: 393-398.
- 6 Richardson DC. Radial agenesis (in kittens). JVet Orth 1979; 1: 39-42.
- 7 Ahalt Ahalt, Bilbrey SA. What is your diagnosis? Radial agenesis with secondary contractural deformity of the right forelimb. J Small Anim Pract 1997; 38: 539-571.
- 8 Pederson NC. Surgical correction of a congenital defect of the radius and ulna of a dog. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1968; 153: 1328-1331.
- 9 Alam MR, Heo SY, Lee HB. et al. Preaxial longitudinal intercalary radial hemimelia in a dog :acase report. Veterinarni Medicina 2006; 51: 118-123.
- 10 Cattaneo R, Catagni MA, Guerreschi F. Treatment of radial agenesis with the Ilizarov method. Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot 2001; 87: 443-450.
- 11 Johnson KA. A radiographic study of the effects of autologous cancellous bone grafts on bone healing after carpal arthrodesis in the dog. Vet Rad 1981; 22: 177-183.
- 12 Johnson KA. Carpal arthrodesis in the dog. Aust Vet J 1980; 56: 565-573.
- 13 Whitelock RG, Dyce J, Houlton JE. Metacarpal fractures associated with pancarpal arthrodesis in dogs. Vet Surg 1999; 28: 25-30.
- 14 Piermattei Piermattei, Johnson KA. An atlas of surgical approaches to the bones and joints of the dog and cat. 4th ed. Philadelphia: WB. Saunders and Company 2004; 250-253 278-285.
- 15 Johnson Johnson, Bellenger CR. The effects of autologous bone grafting on bone healing after carpal arthrodesis in the dog. Vet Rec 1980; 107: 126-132.
- 16 Marcellin-Little DJ, Ferretti A, Roe SC. et al. Hinged Ilizarov external fixation for correction of antebrachial deformities. Vet Surg 1998; 27: 231-245.
- 17 Li A, Gibson B, Carmichael S. et al. Thirteen pan- carpal arthrodeses using 2.7/3.5 mm hybrid dynamic compression plates. Vet Comp Orthop Traumatol 1999; 12: 102-107.
- 18 Chambers Chambers, Bjorling DE. Palmar surface plating for arthrodesis of the canine carpus. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1982; 18: 875-882.
- 19 Guerrero Guerrero, Montavon PM. Medial plating for carpal panarthrodesis. Vet Surg 2005; 34: 153-158.
- 20 Benson Benson, Boudrieau RJ. Severe carpal and tarsal shearing injuries treated with an immediate arthrodesis in seven dogs. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2002; 38: 370-380.
- 21 Langley-Hobbs SJ, Carmichael S, Pead MJ. et al. Management of antebrachial deformity and shortening secondary to a synostosis in a dog. J Small Anim Pract 1996; 37: 359-363.