Luxation of the long digital extensor tendon as a complication to Tibial Plateau Levelling OsteotomyA presentation of four cases
16 August 2006
Accepted 08 July 2006
21 December 2017 (online)
Cranial cruciate ligament disease in dogs is frequently treated with Tibial Plateau Levelling Osteotomy (TPLO). Herein we describe four cases of dogs presenting with sudden lameness in the operated leg one to 12 months post TPLO surgery. On examination, all of the dogs had a luxation of the long digital extensor tendon (LDE) resulting from the TPLO surgery. All of the dogs underwent revision surgeries. The LDE tendon was either secured in its normal position or transected, and a tenodesis was performed. The dogs recovered well after surgery and lameness was resolved in all four cases.
- 1 Dejardin LM. Tibial plateau leveling osteotomy. Textbook of small animal surgery. 3 rd ed. Philadelphia: Saunders 2003; 2133-2143.
- 2 Leighton RL. Preferred method of repair of cranial cruciate ligament rupture in dogs: a survey of ACVS diplomates specializing in canine orthopedics. American College of Veterinary Surgery. Vet Surg. 1999 28. 194.
- 3 Slocum Slocum, Slocum TD. Tibial plateau leveling osteotomy for repair of cranial cruciate ligament rupture in the canine. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 1993; 23: 777-795.
- 4 Pacchiana Pacchiana, Morris Eetal. Surgical and postoperative complications associated with tibial plateau leveling osteotomy in dogs with cranial cruciate ligament rupture: 397 cases (1998-2001). J Am VetMed Assoc 2003; 222: 184-193.
- 5 Priddy NH, Tomlinson JL, Dodam JR. et al. Complications with and owner assessment of the outcome of tibial plateau leveling osteotomy for treatment of cranial cruciate ligament rupture in dogs: 193 cases (1997-2001). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2003; 222: 1726-1732.
- 6 Piermattei DL, Flo GL, Brinker WO. et al. Piermattei, and Flo's handbook of small animal orthopedics and fracture repair. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders; 1997
- 7 Pond MJ. Avulsion of the extensor digitorum longus muscle in the dog: a report of four cases. J SmallAnim Pract 1973; 14: 785-796.
- 8 Bardet Bardet, Piermattei DL. Long digital extensor and popliteal tendon avulsion associated with lateral patellar luxation in a dog. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1983; 183: 465-466.
- 9 Bennet Bennet, Campbell JR. Unusual soft tissue orthopaedic problems in the dog. J Small Anim Pract 1979; 20: 27-39.
- 10 Montgomery R, Fitch R. Muscle and tendon disorders. In: Slatter DH. editor Textbook of small animal surgery. Philadelphia: Saunders; 2003: 2264-2272.