Thromb Haemost 2017; 117(10): 1833-1835
Invited Editorial Focus
The role of atrial fibrillation in patients with an embolic stroke of unknown source (ESUS)
29 August 2017
29 August 2017
Accepted after major revision: 29 August 2017
07 November 2017 (online)
- 1 Hart RG, Pearce LA, Aguilar MI. Meta-analysis Antithrombotic Therapy to Prevent Stroke in Patients Who Have Nonvalvular Atrial Fibrillation. Ann Intern Med 2007; 146: 857-867.
- 2 Freedman B, Potpara TS, Lip GY. Stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation. Lancet 2016; 388: 806-817.
- 3 Lip G, Freedman B, De Caterina R, Potpara TS. Stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation: Past, present and future Comparing the guidelines and practical decision-making. Thromb. Haemost 2017; 117: 1230-1239.
- 4 Gladstone DJ, Spring M, Dorian P. et al. EMBRACE Investigators and Coordinators Cryptogenic stroke and atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med 2014; 370: 2467-2477.
- 5 Sanna T, Diener HC, Passman RS. Di et al. CRYSTAL AF Investigators Cryptogenic stroke and underlying atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med 2014; 370: 2478-2486.
- 6 Higgins P, MacFarlane PW, Dawson J. et al. Noninvasive cardiac event monitoring to detect atrial fibrillation after ischemic stroke: a randomized, controlled trial. Stroke 2013; 44: 2525-2531.
- 7 Wachter R, Gröschel K, Gelbrich G. et al. on behalf of the Find-AF randomised Investigators and Coordinators Holter monitoring in acute ischaemic stroke (Find-AFRANDOMISED): a randomised trial. Lancet Neurol 2017; 16: 282-290.
- 8 Haeusler KG, Kirchhof P, Heuschmann PU. et al. Impact of standardized MONitoring for Detection of Atrial Fibrillation in Ischemic Stroke (MonDAFIS): Rationale and design of a prospective randomized multicenter study. Am Heart J 2016; 172: 19-25.
- 9 Israel C, Kitsiou A, Kalyani M. et al. Detection of atrial fibrillation in patients with embolic stroke of undetermined source by prolonged monitoring with implantable loop recorders. Thromb Haemost 2017; 117: 1962-1969.
- 10 Hart RG, Diener HC, Coutts SB. et al. Cryptogenic Stroke/ESUS International Working Group Embolic strokes of undetermined source: the case for a new clinical construct. Lancet Neurol 2014; 13: 429-438.
- 11 Mohr JP, Thompson JL, Lazar RM. et al. Warfarin-Aspirin Recurrent Stroke Study Group A comparison of warfarin and aspirin for the prevention of recurrent ischemic stroke. N Engl J Med 2001; 345: 1444-1451.
- 12 Hart RG, Sharma M, Mundl H. et al. Rivaroxaban for secondary stroke prevention in patients with embolic strokes of undetermined source: Design of the NAVIGATE ESUS randomized trial. Eur Stroke J 2017; 01: 146-154.
- 13 Diener HC, Easton JD, Granger CB. et al. RE-SPECT ESUS Investigators Design of Randomized, double-blind, Evaluation in secondary Stroke Prevention comparing the EfficaCy and safety of the oral Thrombin inhibitor dabigatran etexilate vs. acetylsalicylic acid in patients with Embolic Stroke of Undetermined Source (RE-SPECT ESUS). Int J Stroke 2015; 10: 1309-1312.
- 14 Geisler T, Poli S, Meisner C. et al. Apixaban for treatment of embolic stroke of undetermined source (ATTICUS randomized trial): Rationale and study design. Int J Stroke. 2016 Epub ahead of print.
- 15 Wachter R, Weber-Krüger M, Seegers J. et al. Age-dependent yield of screening for undetected atrial fibrillation in stroke patients: the Find-AF study. J Neurol 2013; 260: 2042-2045.
- 16 Healey JS, Connolly SJ, Gold MR. et al. ASSERT Investigators Subclinical atrial fibrillation and the risk of stroke. N Engl J Med 2012; 366: 120-129.
- 17 Van Gelder IC, Healey JS, Crijns HJGM. et al. Duration of device-detected subclinical atrial fibrillation and occurrence of stroke in ASSERT. Eur Heart J 2017; 38: 1339-1344.
- 18 Freedman B, Boriani G, Glotzer TV. et al. Management of atrial high-rate episodes detected by cardiac implanted electronic devices. Nat Rev Cardiol. 2017 Epub ahead of print.
- 19 Nasir JM, Pomeroy W, Marler A. et al. Predicting Determinants of Atrial Fibrillation or Flutter for Therapy Elucidation in Patients at Risk for Thromboembolic Events (PREDATE AF) Study. Heart Rhythm 2017; 14: 955-961.
- 20 Healey JS, Alings M, Ha AC. et al. ASSERT-2 Investigators Subclinical Atrial Fibrillation in Older Patients. Circulation. 2017 Epub ahead of print DOI: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.117.028845.
- 21 Reiffel JA, Verma A, Kowey PR. et al. on behalf of the REVEAL AF Investigators REVEAL AF: A prospective study of previously undiagnosed atrial fibrillation as demonstrated by an insertable cardiac monitor in high-risk patients. JAMA Cardiol. 2017 Epub ahead of print.
- 22 Freedman B, Camm J, Calkins H. et al. AF-Screen Collaborators Screening for Atrial Fibrillation: A Report of the AF-SCREEN International Collaboration. Circulation 2017; 135: 1851-1867.