Validation of the DAPT score in patients randomized to 6 or 12 months clopidogrel after predominantly second-generation drug-eluting stentsFinancial support: The trial was supported by the Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung (German Federal Ministry for Education and Research; grant number: FKZ 01KG0901) and an unrestricted research grant from Abbott Vascular.
13 February 2017
Accepted after major revision: 21 June 2017
08 November 2017 (online)
The DAPT score is a recently-proposed decision tool for guiding optimal duration of dual antiplatelet therapy (DAPT). It showed modest accuracy in prior derivation and validation cohorts of patients with ≥12 months DAPT. This study was aimed to evaluate the validity of the DAPT score in a cohort of patients with 6 or 12 months DAPT after implantation of predominantly second-generation drug-eluting stents. We analyzed data of patients enrolled in the ISAR-SAFE trial. Patients were classified into low (<2) or high (≥2) DAPT score groups. Primary ischaemic (all-cause death, myocardial infarction, definite stent thrombosis or stroke) and bleeding (TIMI major or minor) outcomes were analyzed in the low and high DAPT score groups. Data of 3976 patients were available for DAPT score calculation. 2407 patients (60.5%) were classified in the low DAPT score group and 1569 patients (39.5%) in the high DAPT score group. In the low DAPT score group there were no significant differences between 6 and 12 months DAPT regarding ischaemic (1.0% vs. 1.4%, HR=0.74, 95% CI, 0.35–1.57; p=0.43) or bleeding outcomes (0.3% vs. 0.8%, HR=0.44, 95% CI, 0.13–1.42; p=0.17). In the high DAPT score group there were also no significant differences between 6 and 12 months DAPT regarding ischaemic (1.9% vs. 1.8%, HR=1.02, 95% CI, 0.49–2.14; p=0.96) or bleeding (0.3% vs. 0.5%, HR=0.51, 95% CI, 0.09–2.78; p=0.44) outcomes. In conclusion, the DAPT score failed to show a differential treatment effect in patients receiving 6 or 12 months DAPT after contemporary drug-eluting stent implantation.
- 1 Giustino G, Baber U, Sartori S. et al. Duration of dual antiplatelet therapy after drug-eluting stent implantation: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Am Coll Cardiol 2015; 65: 1298-1310.
- 2 D’Ascenzo F, Moretti C, Bianco M. et al. Meta-Analysis of the Duration of Dual Antiplatelet Therapy in Patients Treated With Second-Generation Drug-Eluting Stents. Am J Cardiol 2016; 117: 1714-1723.
- 3 Palmerini T, Della Riva D, Benedetto U. et al. Three, six, or twelve months of dual antiplatelet therapy after DES implantation in patients with or without acute coronary syndromes: an individual patient data pairwise and network meta-analysis of six randomized trials and 11 473 patients. Eur Heart J 2017; 38: 1034-1043.
- 4 Mauri L, Kereiakes DJ, Yeh RW. et al. Twelve or 30 months of dual antiplatelet therapy after drug-eluting stents. N Engl J Med 2014; 371: 2155-2166.
- 5 Windecker S, Kolh P, Alfonso F. et al. 2014 ESC/EACTS Guidelines on myocardial revascularization: The Task Force on Myocardial Revascularization of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS)Developed with the special contribution of the European Association of Percutaneous Cardiovascular Interventions (EAPCI). Eur Heart J 2014; 35: 2541-2619.
- 6 Levine GN, Bates ER, Bittl JA. et al. 2016 ACC/AHA Guideline Focused Update on Duration of Dual Antiplatelet Therapy in Patients With Coronary Artery Disease: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol 2016; 68: 1082-1115.
- 7 Yeh RW, Secemsky EA, Kereiakes DJ. et al. Development and Validation of a Prediction Rule for Benefit and Harm of Dual Antiplatelet Therapy Beyond 1 Year After Percutaneous Coronary Intervention. J Am Med Assoc 2016; 315: 1735-1749.
- 8 Baber U, Mehran R, Giustino G. et al. Coronary Thrombosis and Major Bleeding After PCI With Drug-Eluting Stents: Risk Scores From PARIS. J Am Coll Cardiol 2016; 67: 2224-2234.
- 9 Costa F, van Klaveren D, James S. et al. Derivation and validation of the predicting bleeding complications in patients undergoing stent implantation and subsequent dual antiplatelet therapy (PRECISE-DAPT) score: a pooled analysis of individual-patient datasets from clinical trials. Lancet 2017; 389: 1025-1034.
- 10 Schulz-Schupke S, Byrne RA, Ten Berg JM. et al. ISAR-SAFE: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of 6 vs. 12 months of clopidogrel therapy after drug-eluting stenting. Eur Heart J 2015; 36: 1252-1263.
- 11 Byrne RA, Schulz S, Mehilli J. et al. Rationale and design of a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of 6 versus 12 months clopidogrel therapy after implantation of a drug-eluting stent: The Intracoronary Stenting and Antithrombotic Regimen: Safety And EFficacy of 6 Months Dual Antiplatelet Therapy After Drug-Eluting Stenting (ISAR-SAFE) study. Am Heart J 2009; 157: 620-624.e2.
- 12 Palmerini T, Sangiorgi D, Valgimigli M. et al. Short- versus long-term dual antiplatelet therapy after drug-eluting stent implantation: an individual patient data pairwise and network meta-analysis. J Am Coll Cardiol 2015; 65: 1092-1102.
- 13 Navarese EP, Andreotti F, Schulze V. et al. Optimal duration of dual antiplatelet therapy after percutaneous coronary intervention with drug eluting stents: meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Br Med J 2015; 350: h1618.
- 14 Palmerini T, Benedetto U, Bacchi-Reggiani L. et al. Mortality in patients treated with extended duration dual antiplatelet therapy after drug-eluting stent implantation: a pairwise and Bayesian network meta-analysis of randomised trials. Lancet 2015; 385: 2371-2382.
- 15 Udell JA, Bonaca MP, Collet JP. et al. Long-term dual antiplatelet therapy for secondary prevention of cardiovascular events in the subgroup of patients with previous myocardial infarction: a collaborative meta-analysis of randomized trials. Eur Heart J 2016; 37: 390-399.
- 16 Bittl JA, Baber U, Bradley SM. et al. Duration of Dual Antiplatelet Therapy: A Systematic Review for the 2016 ACC/AHA Guideline Focused Update on Duration of Dual Antiplatelet Therapy in Patients With Coronary Artery Disease: A Report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol 2016; 68: 1116-1139.
- 17 Montalescot G, Brieger D, Dalby AJ. et al. Duration of Dual Antiplatelet Therapy After Coronary Stenting: A Review of the Evidence. J Am Coll Cardiol 2015; 66: 832-847.
- 18 Vries MJ, van der Meijden PE, Henskens YM. et al. Assessment of bleeding risk in patients with coronary artery disease on dual antiplatelet therapy. A systematic review. Thromb Haemost 2016; 115: 7-24.
- 19 Konishi H, Miyauchi K, Tsuboi S. et al. Impact of the HAS-BLED Score on Long-Term Outcomes After Percutaneous Coronary Intervention. Am J Cardiol 2015; 116: 527-531.
- 20 Capodanno D, Rossini R, Musumeci G. et al. Predictive accuracy of CHA2DS2-VASc and HAS-BLED scores in patients without atrial fibrillation undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention and discharged on dual antiplatelet therapy. Int J Cardiol 2015; 199: 319-325.
- 21 Costa F, Tijssen JG, Ariotti S. et al. Incremental Value of the CRUSADE, ACUITY, and HAS-BLED Risk Scores for the Prediction of Hemorrhagic Events After Coronary Stent Implantation in Patients Undergoing Long or Short Duration of Dual Antiplatelet Therapy. J Am Heart Assoc 2015; 04: e00252.
- 22 Shah RR, Pillai A, Omar A. et al. Utility of the HAS-BLED Score in Risk Stratifying Patients on Dual Antiplatelet Therapy Post 12 Months After Drug-Eluting Stent Placement. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2017; 89: E99-E103.
- 23 Qiu M, Li Y, Li J. et al. Impact of six versus 12 months of dual antiplatelet therapy in patients with drug-eluting stent implantation after risk stratification with the residual SYNTAX score: Results from a secondary analysis of the I-LOVE-IT 2 trial. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2017; 89: 565-573.
- 24 Capodanno D, Angiolillo DJ. Tailoring duration of DAPT with risk scores. Lancet 2017; 389: 987-989.
- 25 Hermiller JB, Krucoff MW, Kereiakes DJ. et al. Benefits and Risks of Extended Dual Antiplatelet Therapy After Everolimus-Eluting Stents. JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2016; 09: 138-147.
- 26 Piccolo R, Gargiulo G, Franzone A. et al. Use of the Dual-Antiplatelet Therapy Score to Guide Treatment Duration After Percutaneous Coronary Intervention. Ann Intern Med. 2017 Jun 13 [Epub ahead of print], doi: 10.7326/M16–2389.