Thromb Haemost 2017; 117(02): 426-428
Letters to the Editor
Fibrin clot strength measured by thrombelastography and outcomes after percutaneous coronary interventionFinancial support: This study was supported in part, by the Indiana Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute funded, in part by Grant Number (U54-RR025761. Anantha Shekhar, PI) from the National Institutes of Health, National Center for Research Resources, Clinical and Translational Sciences Award, as well as the Indiana University Health Values Grant, the Indiana University Health – Indiana University School of Medicine Strategic Research Initiative, and internal funding from the Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis. Sample processing and storage was performed in part by the Specimen Storage Facility (SSF) of the Indiana Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute (CTSI) which is supported, in part, by a Clinical and Translational Sciences Award (Grant # UL1TR001108. Anantha Shekhar, PI) and CTSI SSF facility construction was funded in part by grant CO6– RR020128–01. (R. S. Fife, PI, K. Cornetta, Co-I).
Received:01 July 2016
Received:01 July 2016
Accepted after minor revision:14 October 2016
13 November 2017 (online)
Supplementary Material to this article is available online at www.thrombosis-online.com.
- 1 Gurbel PA, Bliden KP, Guyer K. et al. Platelet reactivity in patients and recurrent events post-stenting: results of the PREPARE POST-STENTING Study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2005; 46: 1820-1826.
- 2 Bitar A, Kreutz RP. Role of Thrombelastography (TEG) in Risk Assessment and Guidance of Antithrombotic Therapy in Patients with Coronary Artery Disease. Drug Dev Res 2013; 74: 533-540.
- 3 Kreutz RP, Owens J, Lu D. et al. Platelet factor XIIIa release during platelet aggregation and plasma clot strength measured by thrombelastography in patients with coronary artery disease treated with clopidogrel. Platelets 2015; 26: 358-363.
- 4 Kreutz RP, Bitar A, Owens J. et al. Factor XIII Val34Leu polymorphism and recurrent myocardial infarction in patients with coronary artery disease. J Thromb Thrombolysis 2014; 38: 380-387.
- 5 Lu D, Owens J, Kreutz RP. Plasma and whole blood clot strength measured by thrombelastography in patients treated with clopidogrel during acute coronary syndromes. Thromb Res 2013; 132: e94-98.
- 6 Kreutz RP, Owens J, Breall JA. et al. C-reactive protein and fibrin clot strength measured by thrombelastography after coronary stenting. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 2013; 24: 321-326.
- 7 Thygesen K, Alpert JS, Jaffe AS. et al. Third universal definition of myocardial infarction. Circulation 2012; 126: 2020-2035.
- 8 Cutlip DE, Windecker S, Mehran R. et al. Academic Research Consortium. Clinical end points in coronary stent trials: a case for standardized definitions. Circulation 2007; 115: 2344-2351.
- 9 Mehran R, Rao SV, Bhatt DL. et al. Standardized bleeding definitions for cardiovascular clinical trials: a consensus report from the Bleeding Academic Research Consortium. Circulation 2011; 123: 2736-2747.
- 10 Ang L, Thani KB, Ilapakurti M. et al. Elevated plasma fibrinogen rather than residual platelet reactivity after clopidogrel pre-treatment is associated with an increased ischemic risk during elective percutaneous coronary intervention. J Am Coll Cardiol 2013; 61: 23-34.
- 11 Wiviott SD, Braunwald E, McCabe CH. et al. TRITON-TIMI 38 Investigators. Prasugrel versus clopidogrel in patients with acute coronary syndromes. N Engl J Med 2007; 357: 2001-2015.
- 12 Wallentin L, Becker RC, Budaj A. et al. PLATO Investigators, Freij A, Thorsén M. Ticagrelor versus clopidogrel in patients with acute coronary syndromes. N Engl J Med 2009; 361: 1045-1057.
- 13 Bonaca MP, Bhatt DL, Cohen M. et al. PEGASUS-TIMI 54 Steering Committee and Investigators. Long-term use of ticagrelor in patients with prior myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 2015; 372: 1791-1800.
- 14 Byrnes JR, Duval C, Wang Y. et al. Factor XIIIa-dependent retention of red blood cells in clots is mediated by fibrin a-chain crosslinking. Blood 2015; 126: 1940-1948.
- 15 Schlimp CJ, Solomon C, Ranucci M. et al. The effectiveness of different functional fibrinogen polymerization assays in eliminating platelet contribution to clot strength in thromboelastometry. Anesth Analg 2014; 118: 269-276.