Thromb Haemost 2016; 116(03): 403-404
Invited Editorial Focus
Assessment of bleeding risk in acute ill medical patients. An essential part of venous thromboembolism prevention
07 July 2016
07 July 2016
Accepted: 07 July 2016
28 November 2017 (online)
- 1 Tapson VF, Hyers TM, Waldo AL. et al. NABOR Steering Committee. Antithrombotic Therapy practices in US hospitals in an era of practice guidelines. Arch Intern Med 2005; 165: 1458-1464.
- 2 Samama MM, Cohen AT, Darmon JY. et al. A comparison of enoxaparin with placebofor the prevention of venous thromboembolism in acutely ill medical patients. Prophylaxis in Medical Patients with Enoxaparin Study Group. N Engl J Med 1999; 341: 793-800.
- 3 Dentali F, Douketis JD, Gianni M. et al. Meta-analysis: anticoagulant prophylaxis to prevent symptomatic venous thromboembolism in hospitalized medical patients. Ann Intern Med 2007; 146: 278-288.
- 4 Douketis JD.. Prevention of venous thromboembolism in hospitalized medical patients: addressing some practical questions. CurrOpinPulm Med 2008; 145: 381-388.
- 5 www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg92/resources/venous-thromboembolism-reducing-the-risk-for-patients-in-hospital-975745995973
- 6 Kahn SR, Lim W, Dunn AS. et al. PhysiciansACoC. Prevention of VTE nonsurgical patients: antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis, 9th ed:American College of Chest Physicians Evidence Based Clinical Practice Guidelines. Chest 2012; 141: e195S-e226S.
- 7 Majeed A, Goldhaber SZ, Kakkar A. et al. Bleeding events with dabigatran or warfarin in patients with venous thromboembolism. Thromb Haemost 2016; 115: 291-298.
- 8 Granziera S, Cohen AT.. VTE primary prevention, including hospitalised medical and orthopaedic surgical patients. Thromb Haemost 2015; 113: 1216-1223.
- 9 Rosenberg D, Eichorn A, Alarcon M. et al. External validation of the risk assessment model of the International Medical Prevention Registry on Venous Thromboembolism (IMPROVE) for medical patients in a tertiary health system. J Am Heart Assoc 2014; 3: e001152.
- 10 Lip GY, Lane DA.. Bleeding Risk Assessment in Atrial Fibrillation: Observations on the Use and Misuse of Bleeding Risk Scores. J Thromb Haemost. 2016 Epub ahead of print.
- 11 Lip GY, Lane DA.. Assessing bleeding risk in atrial fibrillation with the HAS-BLED and ORBIT scores: clinical application requires focus on the reversible bleeding risk factors. Eur Heart J 2015; 36: 3265-3267.
- 12 Decousus H, Tapson VF, Bergmann JF. et al. IMPROVE Investigators. Factors at admission associated with bleeding risk in medical patients: findings from the IMPROVE investigators. Chest 2011; 139: 69-79.
- 13 Rosenberg DJ, Press A, Fishbein J. et al. External validation of the IMPROVE Bleeding Risk Assessment Model in medical patients. Thromb Haemost 2016; 116: 530-536.
- 14 Hostler DC, Marx ES, Moores LK. et al. Validation of the International Medical Prevention Registry on Venous Thromboembolism Bleeding Risk Score. Chest 2016; 149: 372-379.
- 15 Lecumberri R, Marqués M, Díaz-Navarlaz MT. et al. Maintained effectiveness of an electronic alert system to prevent venous thromboembolism among hospitalized patients. Thromb Haemost 2008; 100: 699-704.
- 16 Riva N, Bellesini M, Di Minno MN. et al. Poor predictive value of contemporary bleeding risk scores during long-term treatment of venous thromboembolism. A multicentre retrospective cohort study. Thromb Haemost 2014; 112: 511-521.
- 17 Pisters R, Lane DA, Nieuwlaat R. et al. A novel user-friendly score (HAS-BLED) to assess 1-year risk of major bleeding in patients with atrial fibrillation: the Euro Heart Survey. Chest 2010; 138: 1093-1100.
- 18 Apostolakis S, Lane D, Guo Y. et al. Performance of the HEMORR(2)HAGES, ATRIA and HAS-BLED bleedingrisk scores in patientswith atrial fibrillation undergoing anticoagulation: the AMAD-EUS (evaluating the use of SR34006 compared to warfarin or acenocoumarol in patients wiht atrial fibrillation) study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2012; 60: 861-867.
- 19 Hijazi Z, Oldgren J, Lindback J. et al. The novel biomarker-based ABC (age, biomarkers, clinical history)-bleeding risk score for patients with atrial fibrillation: a derivation and validation study. Lancet 2016; 387: 2302-2311.
- 20 Chiang CE, Wang KL, Lip GY.. Stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation: an Asian perspective. Thromb Haemost 2014; 111: 789-797.
- 21 Vanassche T, Hirsh J, Eikelboom JW. et al. Organ-specific bleeding patterns of anticoagulant therapy: lessons from clinical trials. Thromb Haemost 2014; 112: 918-923.
- 22 Barbar S, Noventa F, Rossetto V. et al. A risk assessment model for the identification of hospitalized medical patients at risk for venous thrombosis: the PADUA Prediction Score. J Thromb Haemost 2010; 8: 2450-2457.
- 23 La Regina, Orlandini F, Marchini F. et al. Combined assessment of thrombotic and haemorrhagic risk in acute medical patients. Thromb Haemost 2016; 115: 392-398.
- 24 Parikh AM, Spencer FA, Lessard D. et al. Venous thromboembolism in patients with reduced estimated GFR: a population-based perspective. Am J Kidney Dis 2011; 58: 746-755.
- 25 Allison MG, Shanholtz CB, Sachdeva A.. Hematological issues in liver disease. Crit Care Clin 2016; 32: 385-396.
- 26 Gallego P, Roldán V, Torregrosa JM. et al. Relation of the HAS-BLED bleedingrisk score tomajor-bleeding, cardiovascular events, and mortality in anticoagulated patients with atrial fibrillation. Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol 2012; 5: 312-318.
- 27 Lip GY, Lane DA, Buller H. et al. Developement of a novel composite stroke and bleeding risk score in patients with atrial fibrillation: the AMADEUS Study. Chest 2013; 144: 1839-1847.
- 28 Banerjee A, Fauchier L, Bernard-Brunet A. et al. Composite risk scores and composite endpoints in the risk prediction of outcomes in anticoagulated patients with atrial fibrillation. The Loire Valley Atrial Fibrillation Project. Thromb Haemost 2014; 111: 549-556.
- 29 Lahaye S, Regpala S, Lacombe S. et al. Evaluation of patients' attitudes towards stroke prevention and bleeding risk in atrial fibrillation. Thromb Haemost 2014; 111: 465-473.
- 30 Lane DA, Lip GY.. Patient's values and preferences for stroke prevention in atrial fibrillation: balancing stroke and bleeding risk with oral anticoagulation. Thromb Haemost 2014; 111: 381-383.
- 31 Prandoni P, Barbar S, Milan M. et al. Optimal duration of anticoagulation. Provoked versus unprovoked VTE and role of adjunctive thrombophilia and imaging tests. Thromb Haemost 2015; 113: 1210-5.