Thromb Haemost 2011; 106(02): 187-188
Invited Editorial Focus
Use of statins and recurrence of atrial fibrillation after catheter ablation or electrical cardioversion: An old question revisited
Received: 07 June 2011
Received: 07 June 2011
Accepted after major revision: 08 June 2011
25 November 2017 (online)
- 1 Nissen SE, Tuzcu EM, Schoenhagen P. et al. Statin therapy, LDL cholesterol, C-reactive protein, and coronary artery disease. N Engl J Med 2005; 352: 29-38.
- 2 Thavendiranathan P, Bagai A, Brookhart MA. et al. Primary prevention of cardiovascular diseases with statin therapy: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Arch Intern Med 2006; 166: 2307-2313.
- 3 Wilt TJ, Bloomfield HE, MacDonald R. et al. Effectiveness of statin therapy in adults with coronary heart disease. Arch Intern Med 2004; 164: 1427-1436.
- 4 Wright RS, Murphy JG, Bybee KA. et al. Statin lipidlowering therapy for acute myocardial infarction and unstable angina: efficacy and mechanism of benefit. Mayo Clin Proc 2002; 77: 1085-1092.
- 5 Amarenco P, Bogousslavsky J, Callahan A. 3rd et al. High-dose atorvastatin after stroke or transient ischemic attack. N Engl J Med 2006; 355: 549-559.
- 6 Sever PS, Dahlof B, Poulter NR. et al. Prevention of coronary and stroke events with atorvastatin in hypertensive patients who have average or lower-than-average cholesterol concentrations, in the Anglo-Scandinavian Cardiac Outcomes TrialLipid Lowering Arm (ASCOT-LLA): a multicentre randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2003; 361: 1149-1158.
- 7 Sillesen H, Amarenco P, Hennerici MG. et al. Ator-vastatin reduces the risk of cardiovascular events in patients with carotid atherosclerosis: a secondary analysis of the Stroke Prevention by Aggressive Reduction in Cholesterol Levels (SPARCL) trial. Stroke 2008; 39: 3297-3302.
- 8 Goto SH, Hankey G, Hills MT. et al. How can we avoid a stroke crisis in the Asia-Pacific region?. Working Group Report: Stroke prevention in patients with atrial fibrillation.. Chameleon Communications International; London: 2011. Available at: http://www.atrialfibrillation.org.uk/files/file/Articles_Medical/110413%20Asia%20Pacific%20report.pdf.
- 9 Badimon L, Storey RF, Vilahur G. Update on lipids, inflammation and atherothrombosis. Thromb Haemost 2011; 105 (Suppl. 01) S34-42.
- 10 Jennings LK. Mechanisms of platelet activation: need for new strategies to protect against platelet-mediated atherothrombosis. Thromb Haemost 2009; 102: 248-257.
- 11 Peter K, Lip GY. Changing the scope of preventative and therapeutic approaches in atherothrombosis. Thromb Haemost 2010; 103: 487-488.
- 12 Bhatt DL, Steg PG, Ohman EM. et al. International prevalence, recognition, and treatment of cardiovascular risk factors in outpatients with athero-thrombosis. J Am Med Assoc 2006; 295: 180-189.
- 13 Goto S. Cardiovascular risk factors in patients at high risk of atherothrombosis: what can be learned from registries?. Thromb Haemost 2008; 100: 611-613.
- 14 Goto S, Bhatt DL, Rother J. et al. Prevalence, clinical profile, and cardiovascular outcomes of atrial fibrillation patients with atherothrombosis. Am Heart J 2008; 156: 855-863 863 e2.
- 15 Angiolillo DJ, Capodanno D, Goto S. Platelet thrombin receptor antagonism and atherothrom-bosis. Eur Heart J 2010; 31: 17-28.
- 16 Steg PG, Bhatt DL, Wilson PW. et al. One-year cardiovascular event rates in outpatients with athero-thrombosis. J Am Med Assoc 2007; 297: 1197-1206.
- 17 Depta JP, Bhatt DL. Atherothrombosis and atrial fibrillation: Important and often overlapping clinical syndromes. Thromb Haemost 2010; 104: 657-663.
- 18 Dentali F, Gianni M, Squizzato A. et al. Use of statins and recurrence of atrial fibrillation after catheter ablation or electrical cardioversion: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Thromb Haemost 2011; 106: 363-370.
- 19 Fauchier L, Pierre B, de Labriolle A. et al. Antiarrhythmic effect of statin therapy and atrial fibrillation a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; 51: 828-835.
- 20 Liu T, Li L, Korantzopoulos P. et al. Statin use and development of atrial fibrillation: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials and observational studies. Int J Cardiol 2008; 126: 160-170.
- 21 Annoura M, Ogawa M, Kumagai K. et al. Cholesterol paradox in patients with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. Cardiology 1999; 92: 21-27.
- 22 Vagaonescu TD, Wilson AC, Kostis JB. Atrial fibrillation and isolated systolic hypertension: the systolic hypertension in the elderly program and systolic hypertension in the elderly program-extension study. Hypertension 2008; 5: 1552-1556.
- 23 Ostgren CJ, Merlo J, Rastam L. et al. Atrial fibrillation and its association with type 2 diabetes and hypertension in a Swedish community. Diabetes Obes Metab 2004; 6: 367-374.
- 24 Wang TJ, Parise H, Levy D. et al. Obesity and the risk of new-onset atrial fibrillation. J Am Med Assoc 2004; 292: 2471-2477.
- 25 Heeringa J, Kors JA, Hofman A. et al. Cigarette smoking and risk of atrial fibrillation: the Rotterdam Study. Am Heart J 2008; 156: 1163-1169.
- 26 Karthikeyan G, Eikelboom JW. The CHADS2 score for stroke risk stratification in atrial fibrillation-friend or foe?. Thromb Haemost 2010; 104: 45-48.