Multiple electrode aggregometry and vasodilator stimulated phosphoprotein-phosphorylation assay in clinical routine for prediction of postprocedural major adverse cardiovascular events
Received: 07 February 2011
Accepted after major revision: 08 April 2011
25 November 2017 (online)
Reduced antiplatelet effect of clopidogrel assessed with multiple electrode aggregometry (MEA) and vasodilator stimulated phosphoprotein-phosphorylation (VASP-P) assay has been proven to predict major adverse cardiovascular events (MACE) after coronary stenting. So far no consecutive registry has evaluated the usefulness of different adenosine diphosphate-based platelet function tests to predict outcome in unselected patients. Hence, our objective was to determine the feasibility of MEA and VASP-P for clinical routine and whether low-response to clopidogrel as determined by MEA and/or the VASP-P assays predicts MACE in a “real-life” population undergoing coronary stenting. Threehundred consecutive patients were included in this prospective registry. Blood was sampled 6–24 hours after stenting to measure MEA and VASP-P. The use of glycoprotein-IIb/IIIa-blockers limited MEA to 196 measurements. Concerning the VASP-P assay, 300 measurements were achieved. Receiver Operating Characteristics (ROC)-curves of sensitivity and specificity estimates for MACE were plotted for VASP-P assay. The area under the ROC-curve was 0.683 (p=0.014) for the platelet reactivity index (PRI) calculated from median fluorescence intensities (FI) with an optimal cut-off at 60.2% PRI. Patients above 60.2% had a significantly increased risk for MACE at six months follow-up (p=0.007). Estimating the cut-offs for the PRI from mean FI (52%) or from geometric mean FI (56.6%) led to clinically relevant differences. VASP-P assay is feasible for clinical routine to measure clopidogrel effects and to predict post-procedural MACE in unselected patients. With regard to differing cut-offs, exact standardisation of the VASP-P assay is mandatory. The use of GP-IIb/IIIa-blockers prevents MEA testing and limits its usability in unselected patients.
- 1 Geiger J, Brich J, Honig-Liedl P. et al. Specific impairment of human platelet P2Y(AC) ADP receptor-mediated signaling by the antiplatelet drug clopidogrel. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 1999; 19: 2007-2011.
- 2 Chen ZM, Jiang LX, Chen YP. et al. Addition of clopidogrel to aspirin in 45,852 patients with acute myocardial infarction: randomised placebo-controlled trial. Lancet 2005; 366: 1607-1621.
- 3 Mehta SR, Yusuf S, Peters RJ. et al. Effects of pretreatment with clopidogrel and aspirin followed by long-term therapy in patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention: the PCI-CURE study. Lancet 2001; 358: 527-533.
- 4 Yusuf S, Zhao F, Mehta SR. et al. Effects of clopidogrel in addition to aspirin in patients with acute coronary syndromes without ST-segment elevation. N Engl J Med 2001; 345: 494-502.
- 5 Siller-Matula J, Schror K, Wojta J. et al. Thienopyridines in cardiovascular disease: focus on clopidogrel resistance. Thromb Haemost 2007; 97: 385-393.
- 6 Ferreiro JL, Angiolillo DJ. Clopidogrel response variability: current status and future directions. Thromb Haemost 2009; 102: 7-14.
- 7 Snoep JD, Hovens MM, Eikenboom JC. et al. Clopidogrel nonresponsiveness in patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention with stenting: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am Heart J 2007; 154: 221-231.
- 8 Siller-Matula JM, Christ G, Lang IM. et al. Multiple electrode aggregometry predicts stent thrombosis better than the vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein phosphorylation assay. J Thromb Haemost 2010; 8: 351-359.
- 9 Sibbing D, Braun S, Morath T. et al. Platelet reactivity after clopidogrel treatment assessed with point-of-care analysis and early drug-eluting stent thrombosis. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009; 53: 849-856.
- 10 Breet NJ, van Werkum JW, Bouman HJ. et al. Comparison of platelet function tests in predicting clinical outcome in patients undergoing coronary stent implantation. J Am Med Assoc 2010; 303: 754-762.
- 11 Bonello L, Paganelli F, Arpin-Bornet M. et al. Vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein phosphorylation analysis prior to percutaneous coronary intervention for exclusion of postprocedural major adverse cardiovascular events. J Thromb Haemost 2007; 5: 1630-1636.
- 12 Hochholzer W, Trenk D, Bestehorn HP. et al. Impact of the degree of peri-interventional platelet inhibition after loading with clopidogrel on early clinical outcome of elective coronary stent placement. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006; 48: 1742-1750.
- 13 Sofi F, Marcucci R, Gori AM. et al. Clopidogrel non-responsiveness and risk of cardiovascular morbidity. An updated meta-analysis. Thromb Haemost 2010; 103: 841-848.
- 14 Smit JJ, van Oeveren W, Ottervanger JP. et al. Iron-induced platelet aggregation measurement: a novel method to measure platelet function in stenting for ST segment elevation myocardial infarction. Eur J Clin Invest 2009; 39: 103-109.
- 15 Marcucci R, Gori AM, Paniccia R. et al. Cardiovascular death and nonfatal myocardial infarction in acute coronary syndrome patients receiving coronary stenting are predicted by residual platelet reactivity to ADP detected by a point-of-care assay: a 12-month follow-up. Circulation 2009; 119: 237-242.
- 16 Huczek Z, Filipiak KJ, Kochman J. et al. Baseline platelet reactivity in acute myocardial infarction treated with primary angioplasty--influence on myocardial reperfusion, left ventricular performance, and clinical events. Am Heart J 2007; 154: 62-70.
- 17 van Werkum JW, van der Stelt CA, Seesing TH. et al. The flow cytometric VASP assay can be used to determine the effectiveness of clopidogrel in patients treated with abciximab. J Thromb Haemost 2007; 5: 881-883.
- 18 Schwarz UR, Geiger J, Walter U. et al. Flow cytometry analysis of intracellular VASP phosphorylation for the assessment of activating and inhibitory signal transduction pathways in human platelets--definition and detection of ticlopidine/clopidogrel effects. Thromb Haemost 1999; 82: 1145-1152.
- 19 Aleil B, Ravanat C, Cazenave JP. et al. Flow cytometric analysis of intraplatelet VASP phosphorylation for the detection of clopidogrel resistance in patients with ischemic cardiovascular diseases. J Thromb Haemost 2005; 3: 85-92.
- 20 Jakubowski JA, Payne CD, Li YG. et al. A comparison of the antiplatelet effects of prasugrel and high-dose clopidogrel as assessed by VASP-phosphorylation and light transmission aggregometry. Thromb Haemost 2008; 99: 215-222.
- 21 Blindt R, Stellbrink K, de Taeye A. et al. The significance of vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein for risk stratification of stent thrombosis. Thromb Haemost 2007; 98: 1329-1334.
- 22 Bonello L, Camoin-Jau L, Armero S. et al. Tailored clopidogrel loading dose according to platelet reactivity monitoring to prevent acute and subacute stent thrombosis. Am J Cardiol 2009; 103: 5-10.
- 23 Bonello L, Camoin-Jau L, Arques S. et al. Adjusted clopidogrel loading doses according to vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein phosphorylation index decrease rate of major adverse cardiovascular events in patients with clopidogrel resistance: a multicenter randomized prospective study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; 51: 1404-1411.
- 24 Sibbing D, Braun S, Jawansky S. et al. Assessment of ADP-induced platelet aggregation with light transmission aggregometry and multiple electrode platelet aggregometry before and after clopidogrel treatment. Thromb Haemost 2008; 99: 121-126.
- 25 Mueller T, Dieplinger B, Poelz W. et al. Utility of whole blood impedance aggregometry for the assessment of clopidogrel action using the novel Multiplate analyzer--comparison with two flow cytometric methods. Thromb Res 2007; 121: 249-258.
- 26 Breugelmans J, Vertessen F, Mertens G. et al. Multiplate whole blood impedance aggregometry: a recent experience. Thromb Haemost 2008; 100: 725-726.
- 27 Gurbel PA, Becker RC, Mann KG. et al. Platelet function monitoring in patients with coronary artery disease. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007; 50: 1822-1834.
- 28 Wijns W, Kolh P, Danchin N. et al. Guidelines on myocardial revascularization: The Task Force on Myocardial Revascularization of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS). Eur Heart J 2010; 31: 2501-2555.
- 29 Price MJ, Berger PB, Angiolillo DJ. et al. Evaluation of individualized clopidogrel therapy after drug-eluting stent implantation in patients with high residual platelet reactivity: design and rationale of the GRAVITAS trial. Am Heart J 2009; 157: 818-824.
- 30 King SB, 3rd Smith SC, Jr. Hirshfeld JW. Jr. et al. 2007 Focused Update of the ACC/AHA/SCAI 2005 Guideline Update for Percutaneous Coronary Intervention: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines: 2007 Writing Group to Review New Evidence and Update the ACC/AHA/SCAI 2005 Guideline Update for Percutaneous Coronary Intervention, Writing on Behalf of the 2005 Writing Committee. Circulation 2008; 117: 261-295.
- 31 Cutlip DE, Windecker S, Mehran R. et al. Clinical end points in coronary stent trials: a case for standardized definitions. Circulation 2007; 115: 2344-2351.
- 32 Siller-Matula JM, Lang I, Christ G. et al. Calcium-channel blockers reduce the antiplatelet effect of clopidogrel. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; 52: 1557-1563.
- 33 Siller-Matula JM, Spiel AO, Lang IM. et al. Effects of pantoprazole and esomeprazole on platelet inhibition by clopidogrel. Am Heart J 2009; 157: 148 e1-5.
- 34 Toth O, Calatzis A, Penz S. et al. Multiple electrode aggregometry: a new device to measure platelet aggregation in whole blood. Thromb Haemost 2006; 96: 781-788.
- 35 Leon MB, Baim DS, Popma JJ. et al. A clinical trial comparing three antithrombotic-drug regimens after coronary-artery stenting. Stent Anticoagulation Restenosis Study Investigators. N Engl J Med 1998; 339: 1665-1671.
- 36 Price MJ, Endemann S, Gollapudi RR. et al. Prognostic significance of post-clopidogrel platelet reactivity assessed by a point-of-care assay on thrombotic events after drug-eluting stent implantation. Eur Heart J 2008; 29: 992-1000.
- 37 Bonello L, Tantry US, Marcucci R. et al. Consensus and future directions on the definition of high on-treatment platelet reactivity to adenosine diphosphate. J Am Coll Cardiol 2010; 56: 919-933.
- 38 Ko YG, Suh JW, Kim BH. et al. Comparison of 2 point-of-care platelet function tests, VerifyNow Assay and Multiple Electrode Platelet Aggregometry, for predicting early clinical outcomes in patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention. Am Heart J 2011; 161: 383-390.
- 39 Sibbing D, Morath T, Braun S. et al. Clopidogrel response status assessed with Multiplate point-of-care analysis and the incidence and timing of stent thrombosis over six months following coronary stenting. Thromb Haemost 2010; 103: 151-159.
- 40 Barragan P, Bouvier JL, Roquebert PO. et al. Resistance to thienopyridines: clinical detection of coronary stent thrombosis by monitoring of vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein phosphorylation. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2003; 59: 295-302.
- 41 Frere C, Cuisset T, Quilici J. et al. ADP-induced platelet aggregation and platelet reactivity index VASP are good predictive markers for clinical outcomes in nonST elevation acute coronary syndrome. Thromb Haemost 2007; 98: 838-843.
- 42 Cuisset T, Frere C, Quilici J. et al. Predictive values of post-treatment adenosine diphosphate-induced aggregation and vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein index for stent thrombosis after acute coronary syndrome in clopidogrel-treated patients. Am J Cardiol 2009; 104: 1078-1082.
- 43 El Ghannudi S, Ohlmann P, Meyer N. et al. Impact of P2Y12 inhibition by clopidogrel on cardiovascular mortality in unselected patients treated by percutaneous coronary angioplasty: a prospective registry. JACC Cardiovasc Interv 2010; 3: 648-656.
- 44 Judge HM, Buckland RJ, Sugidachi A. et al. Relationship between degree of P2Y12 receptor blockade and inhibition of P2Y12-mediated platelet function. Thromb Haemost 2010; 103: 1210-1217.
- 45 Schumacher WA, Bostwick JS, Ogletree ML. et al. Biomarker optimization to track the antithrombotic and hemostatic effects of clopidogrel in rats. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2007; 322: 369-377.
- 46 Bal Dit Sollier C, Berge N, Boval B. et al. Differential sensitivity and kinetics of response of different ex vivo tests monitoring functional variability of platelet response to clopidogrel. Thromb Haemost 2010; 104: 571-581.
- 47 Price MJ, Berger PB, Teirstein PS. et al. Standard- vs high-dose clopidogrel based on platelet function testing after percutaneous coronary intervention: the GRAVITAS randomized trial. J Am Med Assoc 2011; 305: 1097-1105.
- 48 Siller-Matula JM, Panzer S, Jilma B. Reproducibility and standardized reporting of the vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein phosphorylation assay. Platelets 2008; 19: 551-554.
- 49 Schror K, Hohlfeld T, Weber AA. Aspirin resistance – does it clinically matter?. Clin Res Cardiol 2006; 95: 505-510.