The pharmacokinetic diversity of two von Willebrand factor (VWF)/ factor VIII (FVIII) concentrates in subjects with congenital von Willebrand diseaseResults from a prospective, randomised crossover study
Received: 01 February 2011
Accepted after major revision: 29 April 2011
25 November 2017 (online)
The pharmacokinetic (PK) profiles of von Willebrand factor (VWF) /factor VIII (FVIII) concentrates are important for treatment efficacy and safety of von Willebrand disease (VWD) patients. This prospective, head-to-head, randomised crossover study compared the PK profile of a new, high purity, human plasma-derived (pd)VWF/FVIII concentrate, Wilate®, with the PK profile of an intermediate purity (pd)VWF/FVIII concentrate, Humate-P¯, in VWD patients. Subjects with inherited VWD were randomised to a single intravenous dose (40 IU/kg VWF ristocetin cofactor activity [VWF:RCo]) of Wilate® or Humate-P¯ in Period 1, and switched to the other study drug in Period 2. Each period was preceded by a washout time of ≥7 days. Coagulation factor parameters were analysed at multiple time-points. Of 22 randomised subjects, 20 had evaluable PK profiles, which indicated comparability for VWF antigen and VWF:RCo between Wilate® and Humate-P¯. The reported VWF:RCo average and terminal t1/2 of 10.4 and 15.8 hours (h), respectively, for Wilate® and 9.3 h and 12.8 h for Humate-P®, were not statistically different. Also, the mean VWF:RCo in vivo recoveries (Wilate® 1.89, Humate-P® 1.99 IU/dl per IU/kg) were similar between the two replacement therapies. Wilate® showed parallel decay curves for VWF:RCo and FVIII clotting activity (FVIII:C) over time, while FVIII:C of Humate-P® displayed a plateau between 0 and 12–24 h. This study demonstrated bioequivalent PK properties for VWF between Wilate® and Humate-P®. The PK profile of Wilate®, combined with the 1:1 VWF/FVIII ratio, theoretically should facilitate dosing and laboratory monitoring of VWF replacement to prevent bleeding in individuals with VWD.
keywordsFactor VIII/von Willebrand factor concentrate - Humate-P® - pharmacokinetics - ristocetin co-factor - Wilate®
* A complete list of study investigators is given in the Appendix.
- 1 Sugimoto M, Miyata S. Functional property of von Willebrand factor under flowing blood. Int J Hematol 2002; 75: 19-24.
- 2 Mannucci PM. Treatment of von Willebrand’s disease. New Engl J Med 2004; 351: 683-694.
- 3 Saenko EL, Ananyeva NM, Tuddenbaum EG. et al. Factor VIII - novel insights into form and function. Br J Haematol 2002; 119: 323-331.
- 4 Federici AB, Castaman G, Thompson A. et al. Von Willebrand’s disease: clinical management. Haemophilia 2006; 12 (Suppl. 03) 152-158.
- 5 Ingerslev J, Hvitfeldt PL, Sorensen B. Current treatment of von Willebrand’s disease. Hamostaseologie 2004; 24: 56-64.
- 6 Nichols WL, Hultin MB, James AH. et al. von Willebrand disease (VWD): evidence-based diagnosis and management guidelines, the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) Expert Panel report (USA). Haemophilia 2008; 14: 171-232.
- 7 Stadler M, Gruber G, Kannicht C. et al. Characterisation of a novel high-purity, double virus inactivated von Willebrand Factor and Factor VIII concentrate (Wilate). Biologicals 2006; 34: 281-288.
- 8 Strandberg K, Lethagen S, Andersson K. et al. Evaluation of a rapid automated assay for analysis of von Willebrand ristocetin cofactor activity. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost 2006; 12: 61-67.
- 9 Hillarp A, Stadler M, Haderer C. et al. Improved performance characteristics of the von Willebrand factor ristocetin cofactor activity assay using a novel automated assay protocol. J Thromb Haemost 2010; 8: 2216-2223.
- 10 Barrowcliffe TW, Raut S, Sands D. et al. Coagulation and chromogenic assays of factor VIII activity: general aspects, standardization, and recommendations. Semin Thromb Hemost 2002; 28: 247-256.
- 11 Hubbard AR, Bevan SA, Weller LJ. Potency estimation of recombinant factor VIII: effect of assay method and standard. Br J Haematol 2001; 113: 533-536.
- 12 Budde U, Schneppenheim R, Plendl H. et al. Luminographic detection of von Willebrand factor multimers in agarose gels and on nitrocellulose membranes. Thromb Haemost 1990; 63: 312-315.
- 13 Dobrkovska A, Krzensk U, Chediak JR. Pharmacokinetics, efficacy and safety of Humate-P in von Willebrand disease. Haemophilia 1998; 4 (Suppl. 03) 33-39.
- 14 Lethagen S, Kyrle PA, Castaman G. et al. von Willebrand factor/factor VIII concentrate (Haemate P) dosing based on pharmacokinetics: a prospective multicenter trial in elective surgery. J Thromb Haemost 2007; 5: 1420-1430.
- 15 Berntorp E, Windyga A. European Wilate Study Group. Treatment and prevention of acute bleedings in von Willebrand disease - efficacy and safety of Wilate, a new generation von Willebrand factor/factor VIII concentrate. Haemophilia 2009; 15: 122-130.
- 16 Berntorp E. Haemate P/Humate-P: a Systematic review. Thromb Res 2009; 124 (Suppl. 01) S11-14.
- 17 Auerswald G, Kreuz W. Haemate P/Humate-P for the treatment of von Willebrand disease: considerations for use and clinical experience. Haemophilia 2008; 14 (Suppl. 05) 39-46.
- 18 Favaloro EJ, Lloyd J, Rowell J. et al. Comparison of the pharmacokinetics of two von Willebrand factor concentrates [Biostate and AHF(High Purity)] in people with von Willebrand disorder-A randomized cross-over, multi-centre study. Thromb Haemost 2007; 97: 922-930.
- 19 Fuchs B, Solecka B, Kroening M. et al. Does the von Willebrand factor (VWF) triplet structure affect VWF function?. Haemophilia 2010; 16 (Suppl. 04) 1-158.
- 20 Mannucci PM, Chediak J, Hanna W. et al. Treatment of von Willebrand disease with a high-purity factor VIII/von Willebrand factor concentrate: a prospective, multicenter study. Blood 2002; 99: 450-456.
- 21 Koster T, Blann AD, Briet E. et al. Role of clotting factor VIII in effect of von Willebrand factor on occurrence of deep-vein thrombosis. Lancet 1995; 345: 152-155.
- 22 Kraaijenhagen RA, in’t Anker PS, Koopman MM. et al. High plasma concentration of factor VIIIc is a major risk factor for venous thromboembolism. Thromb Haemost 2000; 83: 5-9.
- 23 Makris M, Colvin B, Gupta V. et al. Venous thrombosis following the use of intermediate purity FVIII concentrate to treat patients with von Willebrand’s disease. Thromb Haemost 2002; 88: 387-388.
- 24 Windyga J, von Depka-Prondzinski M. Efficacy and safety of a new generation von Willebrand factor/factor VIII concentrate (Wilate) in the management of perioperative haemostasis in von Willebrand disease patients undergoing surgery. Thromb Haemost 2011; 105: 1072-1079.