Subscribe to RSS
Impact of concomitant treatment with proton pump inhibitors and clopidogrel on clinical outcome in patients after coronary stent implantation
07 April 2010
Accepted after major revision: 20 August 2010
24 November 2017 (online)
The aim of the study was to evaluate the effect of the concomitant treatment with proton-pump inhibitors (PPIs) and clopidogrel on the incidence of stent thrombosis, acute coronary syndrome (ACS) and death in patients who underwent percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) and stent implantation. In total, 1,210 patients under dual anti-platelet therapy, who underwent PCI and stent implantation, were included in a prospective registry from January 2003 until December 2006. The patients were divided retrospectively into those with or without long-term PPI treatment (for the duration of dual antiplatelet therapy). All-cause mortality, cardiovascular death, re-hospitalisation for reACS, stent thrombosis, as well as the combined endpoint all-cause death, re-ACS or stent thrombosis were evaluated over a mean follow-up period of 7.8 (± 3.63) months (range 1–12 months). Propensity score analysis was performed to reduce potential selection bias and exhibited no significant difference between the two study groups with respect to all-cause mortality, cardiovascular death, re-ACS, stent thrombosis and the combined endpoint. In pre-specified subgroup analyses performed in patients presenting with ACS and referred for acute PCI or for stable patients referred for elective PCI, receiving drug-eluting stents or bare metal stents, in diabetics or non-diabetics, in males or females, and in patients older than 75 years or ≤75 years of age use of PPIs had no significant impact on clinical outcome. Our data suggest that a combined use of clopidogrel as part of dual antiplatelet therapy (DAPT) after coronary stenting and PPIs does not significantly influence the clinical outcome.
- 1 Savi P, Pereillo JM, Uzabiaga MF. et al. Identification and biological activity of the active metabolite of clopidogrel.. Thromb Haemost 2000; 84: 891-896.
- 2 Pereillo JM, Maftouh M, Andrieu A. et al. Structure and stereochemistry of the active metabolite of clopidogrel.. Drug Metab Dispos 2002; 30: 1288-1295.
- 3 Small DS, Farid NA, Payne CD. et al. Effects of the proton pump inhibitor lansoprazole on the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of prasugrel and clopidogrel.. J Clin Pharmacol 2008; 48: 475-484.
- 4 Bhatt DL, Scheiman J, Abraham NS. et al. ACCF/ACG/AHA 2008 expert consensus document on reducing the gastrointestinal risks of antiplatelet therapy and NSAID use: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation Task Force on Clinical Expert Consensus Documents.. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; 52: 1502-1517.
- 5 Li XQ, Andersson TB, Ahlstrom M. et al. Comparison of inhibitory effects of the proton pump-inhibiting drugs omeprazole, esomeprazole, lansoprazole, pantoprazole, and rabeprazole on human cytochrome P450 activities.. Drug Metab Dispos 2004; 32: 821-827.
- 6 Gilard M, Arnaud B, Cornily JC. et al. Influence of omeprazole on the antiplatelet action of clopidogrel associated with aspirin: the randomized, double-blind OCLA (Omeprazole CLopidogrel Aspirin) study.. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; 51: 256-260.
- 7 Gilard M, Arnaud B, Le Gal G. et al. Influence of omeprazol on the antiplatelet action of clopidogrel associated to aspirin.. J Thromb Haemost 2006; 4: 2508-2509.
- 8 Sibbing D, Morath T, Stegherr J. et al. Impact of proton pump inhibitors on the antiplatelet effects of clopidogrel.. Thromb Haemost 2009; 101: 714-719.
- 9 Cuisset T, Frere C, Quilici J. et al. Comparison of Omeprazole and Pantoprazole Influence on a High 150-mg Clopidogrel Maintenance Dose.. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009; 54: 1149-1153.
- 10 Siller-Matula JM, Spiel AO, Lang IM. et al. Effects of pantoprazole and esomeprazole on platelet inhibition by clopidogrel.. Am Heart J 2009; 157: 148e1-5.
- 11 Juurlink DN, Gomes T, Ko DT. et al. A population-based study of the drug interaction between proton pump inhibitors and clopidogrel.. CMAJ 2009; 180: 713-718.
- 12 Ho PM, Maddox TM, Wang L. et al. Risk of adverse outcomes associated with concomitant use of clopidogrel and proton pump inhibitors following acute coronary syndrome.. J Am Med Assoc 2009; 301: 937-944.
- 13 Sarafoff N, Ndrepepa G, Mehilli J. et al. Aspirin and clopidogrel with or without phenprocoumon after drug eluting coronary stent placement in patients on chronic oral anticoagulation.. J Intern Med 2008; 264: 472-480.
- 14 Brilakis ES, Hernandez AF, Dai D. et al. Quality of care for acute coronary syndrome patients with known atherosclerotic disease: results from the Get With the Guidelines Program.. Circulation 2009; 120: 560-567.
- 15 Pezalla E, Day D, Pulliadath I. Initial assessment of clinical impact of a drug interaction between clopidogrel and proton pump inhibitors.. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; 52: 1038-1039.
- 16 Aubert RE, Epstein RS, Teagarden JR. et al. Abstract 3998: Proton Pump Inhibitors Effect on Clopidogrel Effectiveness: The Clopidogrel Medco Outcomes Study.. Circulation 2008; 118 (Suppl) S_815.
- 17 Jarai R, Brosovic I, Tentzeris I. et al. Effects of proton-pump inhibitors on outcome of patients discharged on dual-antiplatelet therapy after percutaneous coronary intervention and stent implantation.. Eur Heart J. 2009 30 (Suppl): Abstract P675.
- 18 Ramirez-Carrozzi VR, Braas D, Bhatt DM. et al. A unifying model for the selective regulation of inducible transcription by CpG islands and nucleosome remodeling.. Cell 2009; 138: 114-128.
- 19 Foussas SG, Zairis MN, Patsourakos NG. et al. The impact of oral antiplatelet responsiveness on the long-term prognosis after coronary stenting.. Am Heart J 2007; 154: 676-681.
- 20 Gaspar A, Ribeiro S, Nabais S. et al. Proton pump inhibitors in patients treated with aspirin and clopidogrel.. Eur Heart J. 2009 30 (Suppl): Abstract 2679.
- 21 Simon T, Quandalle PH, Machecourt J. et al. Proton Pump inhibitors and clopidogrel response on cardiovascular major events in patients after acute myocardial infarction. Data from the FAST-MI registry of the french society of cardiology.. Eur Heart J 2009; 30 Suppl P2121.
- 22 Bhatt DL. A Prospective, Randomized,Placebo-Controlled Trial of Omeprazole in Patients Receiving Aspirin and Clopidogrel.. Presented at TCT 2009, San Francisco. 2009.
- 23 Dunn SP, Macaulay TE, Brennan DM. et al. Baseline proton pump inhibitor use is associated with increased cardiovascular events with and without the use of clopidogrel in the CREDO trial.. Circulation 2008; 118 A:3999 S-815.
- 24 O’Donoghue ML, Braunwald E, Antman EM. et al. Pharmacodynamic effect and clinical efficacy of clopidogrel and prasugrel with or without a proton-pump inhibitor: an analysis of two randomised trials.. Lancet 2009; 374: 989-997.
- 25 Sibbing D, Braun S, Morath T. et al. Platelet reactivity after clopidogrel treatment assessed with point-of-care analysis and early drug-eluting stent thrombosis.. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009; 53: 849-856.
- 26 Blindt R, Stellbrink K, de Taeye A. et al. The significance of vasodilator-stimulated phosphoprotein for risk stratification of stent thrombosis.. Thromb Haemost 2007; 98: 1329-1334.
- 27 Bonello L, Camoin-Jau L, Armero S. et al. Tailored clopidogrel loading dose according to platelet reactivity monitoring to prevent acute and subacute stent thrombosis.. Am J Cardiol 2009; 103: 5-10.
- 28 Buonamici P, Marcucci R, Migliorini A. et al. Impact of platelet reactivity after clopidogrel administration on drug-eluting stent thrombosis.. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007; 49: 2312-2317.
- 29 Silber S, Albertsson P, Aviles FF. et al. Guidelines for percutaneous coronary interventions. The Task Force for Percutaneous Coronary Interventions of the European Society of Cardiology.. Eur Heart J 2005; 26: 804-847.
- 30 Laskey WK, Yancy CW, Maisel WH. Thrombosis in coronary drug-eluting stents: report from the meeting of the Circulatory System Medical Devices Advisory Panel of the Food and Drug Administration Center for Devices and Radiologic Health, December 7–8, 2006.. Circulation 2007; 115: 2352-2357.
- 31 D’Agostino RB. Jr. Propensity score methods for bias reduction in the comparison of a treatment to a non-randomized control group.. Stat Med 1998; 17: 2265-2281.
- 32 Rubin DB. Estimating causal effects from large data sets using propensity scores.. Ann Intern Med 1997; 127: 757-763.
- 33 Gupta E, Bansal D, Sotos J. et al. Risk of Adverse Clinical Outcomes with Concomitant Use of Clopidogrel and Proton Pump Inhibitors Following Percutaneous Coronary Intervention.. Dig Dis Sci 2010; 55: 1964-1968.
- 34 Damman K, Jaarsma T, Voors AA. et al. Both in- and out-hospital worsening of renal function predict outcome in patients with heart failure: results from the Coordinating Study Evaluating Outcome of Advising and Counseling in Heart Failure (COACH).. Eur J Heart Fail 2009; 11: 847-854.
- 35 Rasoul S, Ottervanger JP, de Boer MJ. et al. Predictors of 30-day and 1-year mortality after primary percutaneous coronary intervention for ST-elevation myocardial infarction.. Coron Artery Dis 2009; 20: 415-421.
- 36 Shaw JA, Andrianopoulos N, Duffy S. et al. Renal impairment is an independent predictor of adverse events post coronary intervention in patients with and without drug-eluting stents.. Cardiovasc Revasc Med 2008; 9: 218-223.
- 37 Marcucci R, Gori AM, Paniccia R. et al. Cardiovascular Death and Nonfatal Myocardial Infarction in Acute Coronary Syndrome Patients Receiving Coronary Stenting Are Predicted by Residual Platelet Reactivity to ADP Detected by a Point-of-Care Assay: A 12-Month Follow-Up.. Circulation 2009; 119: 237-242.
- 38 Lemesle G, Delhaye C, Sudre A. et al. Impact of high loading and maintenance dose of clopidogrel within the first 15 days after percutaneous coronary intervention on patient outcome.. Am Heart J 2009; 157: 375-382.
- 39 Angiolillo DJ, Bernardo E, Sabate M. et al. Impact of platelet reactivity on cardiovascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and coronary artery disease.. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007; 50: 1541-1547.
- 40 Ang L, Palakodeti V, Khalid A. et al. Elevated plasma fibrinogen and diabetes mellitus are associated with lower inhibition of platelet reactivity with clopidogrel.. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; 52: 1052-1059.
- 41 Siller-Matula JM, Lang I, Christ G. et al. Calcium-channel blockers reduce the antiplatelet effect of clopidogrel.. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; 52: 1557-1563.
- 42 Iakovou I, Schmidt T, Bonizzoni E. et al. Incidence, predictors, and outcome of thrombosis after successful implantation of drug-eluting stents.. J Am Med Assoc 2005; 293: 2126-2130.
- 43 Sibbing D, Stegherr J, Latz W. et al. Cytochrome P450 2C19 loss-of-function polymorphism and stent thrombosis following percutaneous coronary intervention.. Eur Heart J 2009; 30: 916-922.
- 44 Kimura T, Morimoto T, Nakagawa Y. et al. Antiplatelet therapy and stent thrombosis after sirolimus-eluting stent implantation.. Circulation 2009; 119: 987-995.
- 45 Moreno R, Fernandez C, Hernandez R. et al. Drug-eluting stent thrombosis: results from a pooled analysis including 10 randomized studies.. J Am Coll Cardiol 2005; 45: 954-959.
- 46 Kaltoft A, Jensen LO, Maeng M. et al. 2-year clinical outcomes after implantation of sirolimus-eluting, paclitaxel-eluting, and bare-metal coronary stents: results from the WDHR (Western Denmark Heart Registry).. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009; 53: 658-664.
- 47 Doyle B, Rihal CS, O’Sullivan CJ. et al. Outcomes of stent thrombosis and restenosis during extended follow-up of patients treated with bare-metal coronary stents.. Circulation 2007; 116: 2391-2398.
- 48 Jensen LO, Maeng M, Kaltoft A. et al. Stent thrombosis, myocardial infarction, and death after drug-eluting and bare-metal stent coronary interventions.. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007; 50: 463-470.