In-vitro and in-vivo consequences of mutations in the von Willebrand factor cleaving protease ADAMTS13 in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpuraFinancial support: This work was supported by grants # 2003.1666/10.4963 from Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio delle Provincie Lombarde, #526/A22 from Istituto Superiore di Sanità Progetto Malattie Rare and GGP02162 from Telethon.
03 May 2006
Accepted after revision 16 August 2006
29 November 2017 (online)
Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) is a disease characterized by microvascular thrombosis, often associated with deficiency of the von Willebrand factor (VWF) cleaving protease ADAMTS13.We investigated the spectrum of ADAMTS13 gene mutations in patients with TTP and congenital ADAMTS13 deficiency to establish the consequences on ADAMTS13 processing and activity. We describe five missense (V88M, G1239V, R1060W, R1123C and R1219W), 1 nonsense (W1016Stop) and 1 insertion (82_83insT) mutations. In two patients no mutation was identified despite undetectable protease activity. Expression in HEK293 mammalian cells (V88M, G1239V, R1123C and R1219W) documented that three missense mutants were not secreted, whereas theV88M was secreted at low levels and with reduced activity. We also provide evidence that impaired secretion of ADAMTS13 mutants observed in vitro translates into severely reduced ADAMTS13 antigen levels in patients in vivo. To evaluate whether the small amounts of mutant protease present in the circulation of patients had VWF cleaving activity, WT and mutant rADAMTS13 were stably expressed in Drosophila S2 cells under the influence of the Drosophila BiP protein signal sequence, which allows protein secretion. Drosophila expression system showed a 40–60% protease activity in the mutants. Several single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) within exons and intron boundaries were found in patients, suggesting that the interplay of SNPs could at least in part account for ADAMTS13 functional abnormalities in patients without mutations. In conclusion, defective secretion and impaired activity of the mutants concur to determine an almost complete deficiency of ADAMTS13 activity in patients with a homozygous or two heterozygous ADAMTS13 mutations.
- 1 Moake JL. Thrombotic microangiopathies. New Engl J Med 2002; 347: 589-600.
- 2 Remuzzi G. HUS and TTP: variable expression of a single entity. Kidney Int 1987; 32: 292-308.
- 3 Zheng X, Sadler JE. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and hemolytic uremic syndrome. In: Clinical Hematology. 1st ed Mosby Elsevier; 2006: 802-13.
- 4 Moake JL, Rudy CK, Troll JH. et al. Unusually large plasma factorVIII: von Willebrand factor multimers in chronic relapsing thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. New Engl J Med 1982; 307: 1432-5.
- 5 Zheng X, Chung D, Takayama TK. et al. Structure of von Willebrand factor-cleaving protease (ADAMTS13), a metalloprotease involved in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. J Biol Chem 2001; 276: 41059-63.
- 6 Plaimauer B, Zimmermann K, Volkel D. et al. Cloning, expression, and functional characterization of the von Willebrand factor-cleaving protease (ADAMTS13). Blood 2002; 100: 3626-32.
- 7 Uemura M, Tatsumi K, Matsumoto M. et al. Localization of ADAMTS13 to the stellate cells of human liver. Blood 2005; 106: 922-4.
- 8 Furlan M, Robles R, Lammle B. Partial purification and characterization of a protease from human plasma cleaving von Willebrand factor to fragments produced by in vivo proteolysis. Blood 1996; 87: 4223-34.
- 9 Veyradier A, Lavergne J-M, Ribba S-A. et al. Ten candidate ADAMTS13 mutations in six french families with congenital thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (Upshaw-Schulman syndrome). J Thromb Haemost 2004; 02: 424-9.
- 10 Remuzzi G, Galbusera M, Noris M. et al. von Willebrand factor cleaving protease (ADAMTS13) is deficient in recurrent and familial thrombotic thrombocytopenic and hemolytic uremic syndrome. Blood 2002; 100: 778-85.
- 11 Furlan M, Robles R, Galbusera M. et al. von Willebrand factor-cleaving protease in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and hemolytic-uremic syndrome. New Engl J Med 1998; 339: 1578-84.
- 12 Veyradier A, Obert B, Houllier A. et al. Specific von Willebrand factor-cleaving protease in thrombotic microangiopathies: a study of 111 cases. Blood 2001; 98: 1765-72.
- 13 Levy GG, Nichols WC, Lian EC. et al. Mutations in a member of the ADAMTS gene family cause thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Nature 2001; 413: 488-94.
- 14 Kokame K, Matsumoto M, Soejima K. et al. Mutations and common polymorphisms in ADAMTS13 gene responsible for von Willebrand factor-cleaving protease activity. Proc Nat Acad Sci USA 2002; 99: 11902-7.
- 15 Savasan S, Lee SK, Ginsburg D. et al. ADAMTS13 gene mutation in congenital thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura with previously reported normal VWF cleaving protease activity. Blood 2003; 101: 4449-51.
- 16 Tsai H-M, Lian EC-Y. Antibodies to von Willebrand factor-cleaving protease in acute thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. New Engl J Med 1998; 339: 1585-94.
- 17 Scheiflinger F, Knobl P, Trattner B. et al. Nonneutralizing IgM and IgG antibodies to von Willebrand factor-cleaving protease (ADAMTS13) in a patient with thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood 2003; 102: 3241-3.
- 18 Zheng XL, Kaufman RM, Goodnough LT. et al. Effect of plasma exchange on plasma ADAMTS13 metalloprotease activity, inhibitor level, and clinical outcome in patients with idiopathic and nonidiopathic thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood 2004; 103: 4043-9.
- 19 Noris M, Bucchioni S, Galbusera M. et al. Complement factor H mutation in familial thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura with ADAMTS13 deficiency and renal involvement. J Am Soc Nephrol 2005; 16: 1177-83.
- 20 Kokame K, Miyata T. Genetic defects leading to hereditary thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Semin Hematol 2004; 41: 34-40.
- 21 Uchida T, Wada H, Mizutani M. et al. Identification of novel mutations in ADAMTS13 in an adult patient with congenital thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood 2004; 104: 2081-3.
- 22 Gerritsen HE, Turecek PL, Schwarz HP. et al. Assay of von Willebrand factor (vWF)-cleaving protease based on decreased collagen binding affinity of degraded vWF. Thromb Haemost 1999; 82: 1386-9.
- 23 Rieger M, Mannucci PM, Kremer JAHovinga. et al. ADAMTS13 autoantibodies in patients with thrombotic microangiopathies and other immunomediated diseases. Blood 2005; 106: 1262-7.
- 24 Rieger M, Ferrari S, Hovinga JA. et al. Relation between ADAMTS13 activity and ADAMTS13 antigen levels in healthy donors and patients with thrombotic microangiopathies (TMA). Thromb Haemost 2006; 95: 212-20.
- 25 Donadelli R, Orje JN, Capoferri C. et al. Size regulation of von Willebrand factor-mediated platelet thrombi by ADAMTS-13 in flowing blood. Blood 2006; 107: 1943-50.
- 26 Matsumoto M, Kokame K, Soejima K. et al. Molecular characterization of ADAMTS13 gene mutations in japanese patients with Upshaw-Schulman syndrome. Blood 2004; 103: 1305-10.
- 27 Peyvandi F, Lavoretano S, Palla R. et al. Mechanisms of the interaction between two ADAMTS13 gene mutations leading to severe deficiency of enzymatic activity. Hum Mutat 2006; 27: 330-6.
- 28 Levy GG, Motto DG, Ginsburg D. ADAMTS13 Turns 3. Blood 2005; 106: 11-7.
- 29 Pimanda JE, Maekawa A, Wind T. et al. Congenital thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura in association with a mutation in the second CUB domain of ADAMTS13. Blood 2004; 103: 627-9.
- 30 Bernocco S, Steiglitz BM, Svergun DI. et al. Low resolution structure determination shows procollagen C-proteinase enhancer to be an elongated multidomain glycoprotein. J Biol Chem 2003; 278: 7199-205.
- 31 Arlaud GJ, Gaboriaud C, Thielens NM. et al. Structural biology of C1: dissection ofa complex molecular machinery. Immunol Rev 2001; 180: 136-45.
- 32 Shang D, Zheng XW, Niiya M. et al. Apical sorting of ADAMTS13 in vascular endothelial cells and Madin-Darby canine kidney cells depends on the CUB domains and their association with lipid rafts. Blood. 2006 Apr 4. E-pub ahead of print.
- 33 Majerus EM, Anderson PJ, Sadler JE. Binding of ADAMTS13 to von Willebrand factor. J Biol Chem 2005; 280: 21773-8.
- 34 Plaimauer B, Fuhrmann J, Mohr G. et al. Modulation of ADAMTS13 secretion and specific activity by a combination of common amino-acid polymorphisms and a missense mutation. Blood 2006; 107: 118-25.