Subscribe to RSS
© Georg Thieme Verlag KG Stuttgart · New York
Antibacterial Lignans and Triterpenoids from Rostellularia procumbens
Received: February 13, 2007
Revised: September 11, 2007
Accepted: October 17, 2007
03 December 2007 (online)
One new lignan, rostellulin A (1), four known lignans, justin B (2), justicidin C (3), cilinaphthalide A (4), and justicidin A (5), and four known triterpenoids, ursolic acid (6), euscaphic acid (7), 2α-hydroxyursolic acid (8), and tormentic acid (9), have been isolated from the whole plants of Rostellularia procumbens. Their structures were established on the basis of spectral data, including extensive NMR experiments. To our knowledge, compounds 6 - 9 are known compounds but not previously isolated from R. procumbens, 4 was previously reported from other Rostellularia species. Antibacterial activities of 1 - 9 were evaluated against eight bacterial strains with the agar dilution method, and they were found to possess antimicrobial activity with MIC values in the range of 1.56 - 100 μg/mL. None of the lignans exhibited cytotoxic activity against HCT-8 and Bel-7402 cells at concentrations up to 5 μg/mL.
- 1 Beovic B. The issue of antimicrobial resistance in human medicine. Int J Food Microbiol. 2006; 112 280-7.
- 2 Cowan M M. Plant products as antimicrobial agents. Clin Microbiol Rev. 1999; 12 564-82.
- 3 Delectis F1orae Reipublicae Popularis Sinicae Agendae Academiae Sinicae Edita. Flora Reipublicae Popularis Sinicae. Beijing; Science Press 2002: 302-7.
- 4 Yang M, Wu J, Cheng F, Zhou Y. Complete assignments of 1H and 13C NMR data for seven arylnaphthalide lignans from Justicia procumbens . Magn Reson Chem. 2006; 44 727-30.
- 5 Yang M, Wu J, Xu X, Jin Y, Guo Y, Chen J. A new lignan from the Jian-er syrup and its content determination by RP-HPLC. J Pharm Biomed Anal. 2006; 41 662-6.
- 6 Su C L, Huang L L, Huang L M, Lee J C, Lin C N, Won S J. Caspase-8 acts as a key upstream executor of mitochondria during justicidin A-induced apoptosis in human hepatoma cells. FEBS Lett. 2006; 580 3185-91.
- 7 Lee J C, Lee C H, Su C L, Huang C W, Liu H S, Lin C N. et al . Justicidin A decreases the level of cytosolic Ku70 leading to apoptosis in human colorectal cancer cells. Carcinogenesis. 2005; 26 1716-30.
- 8 Tsao L T, Lin C N, Wang J P. Justicidin A inhibits the transport of tumor necrosis factor-alpha to cell surface in lipopolysaccharide-stimulated RAW 264.7 macrophages. Mol Pharmacol. 2004; 65 1063-9.
- 9 Day S H, Lin Y C, Tsai M L, Tsao L T, Ko H H, Chung M I. et al . Potent cytotoxic lignans from Justicia procumbens and their effects on nitric oxide and tumor necrosis factor-alpha production in mouse macrophages. J Nat Prod. 2002; 65 379-81.
- 10 Chen C C, Hsin W C, Huang Y L. Six new diarylbutane lignans from Justicia procumbens . J Nat Prod. 1998; 61 227-9.
- 11 Chen C C, Hsin W C, Ko F N, Huang Y L, Ou J C, Teng C M. Antiplatelet arylnaphthalide lignans from Justicia procumbens . J Nat Prod. 1996; 59 1149-50.
- 12 Asano J, Chiba K, Tada M, Yoshii T. Antiviral activity of lignans and their glycosides from Justicia procumbens. Phytochemistry. 1996; 42 713-7.
- 13 Susplugas S, Hung N V, Bignon J, Thoison O, Kruczynski A, Sevenet T. et al . Cytotoxic arylnaphthalene lignans from a Vietnamese Acanthaceae, Justicia patentiflora . J Nat Prod. 2005; 68 734-8.
- 14 Ohta K, Munakata K. Justicidin C and D, the 1-methoxy-2,3-naphthalide lignans isolated from Justicia procumbens . Tetrahedron Lett. 1970; 12 923-5.
- 15 Day S H, Chiu N Y, Won S J, Lin C N. Cytotoxic lignans of Justicia ciliate . J Nat Prod. 1999; 62 1056-8.
- 16 Gao H Y, Wu B, Li W, Chen D H, Wu L J. Chemical constitutes from Chaenomeles sinensis (II). Chin J Nat Med. 2004; 2 35l-3.
- 17 Zhang A L, Zhang G L. Chemical study on Poikilospermum naucleiforum . Chin J Appl Environ Biol. 2006; 12 30-3.
- 18 Baker C N, Banerjee S N, Tenover F C. Evolution of Alamar colorimetric MIC method for antimicrobial susceptibility testing of Gram-negative bacteria. J Clin Microbiol. 1994; 32 1261-7.
- 19 Réthy B, Kovács A, Zupkó I, Forgo P, Vasas A, Falkay G. et al . Cytotoxic phenanthrenes from the rhizomes of Tamus communis . Planta Med. 2006; 72 767-70.
Dr. Yongxian Cheng
State Key Laboratory of Phytochemistry and Plant Resources in West China
Kunming Institute of Botany
Chinese Academy of Sciences
People’s Republic of China
Email: [email protected]