© Georg Thieme Verlag KG Stuttgart · New York
A New Cytotoxic Agent from Solid-State Fermented Mycelium of Antrodia camphorata
Received: June 6, 2007
Revised: August 28, 2007
Accepted: September 5, 2007
11 October 2007 (online)
Antroquinonol (1), an ubiquinone derivative, was isolated from the solid-state fermented mycelium of Antrodia camphorata (Polyporaceae, Aphyllophorales), a parasitic fungus indigenous to Taiwan. The structure of compound 1 was elucidated by the analysis of their spectroscopic data. Its cytotoxic activities were evaluated against MCF-7, MDA-MB-231 (human breast carcinoma), Hep3B, HepG2 (human liver carcinoma) and DU-145, LNCaP (human prostate carcinoma) cell lines, and the IC50 values ranged from 0.13 ± 0.02 to 6.09 ± 0.07 μM.
- 1 Wu S H, Ryvarden L, Chang T T. Antrodia camphorata (”niu-chang-chih”), new combination of a medicinal fungus in Taiwan. Bot Bull Acad Sin. 1997; 38 273-5.
- 2 Chen C C, Shiao Y J, Lin R D, Shao Y Y, Lai M N, Lin C C. et al . Neuroprotective diterpenes from the fruiting body of Antrodia camphorata . . 2006; 69 689-91.
- 3 Shen Y C, Chou C J, Wang Y H, Chen C F, Chou Y C, Lu M K. Anti-inflammatory activity of the extracts from mycelia of Antrodia camphorata cultured with water-soluble fractions from five different Cinnamomum species. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2004; 231 137-43.
- 4 Wang G J, Tseng H W, Chou C J, Tsai T H, Chen C T, Lu M K. The vasorelaxation of Antrodia camphorata mycelia: involvement of endothelial Ca(2+)-NO-cGMP pathway. . 2003; 73 2769-83.
- 5 Liu J J, Huang T S, Hsu M L, Chen C C, Lin W S, Lu F J. et al . Antitumor effects of the partially purified polysaccharides from Antrodia camphorata and the mechanism of its action. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2004; 201 186-93.
- 6 Hseu Y C, Chang W C, Hseu Y T, Lee C Y, Yech Y J, Chen P C. et al . Protection of oxidative damage by aqueous extract from Antrodia camphorata mycelia in normal human erythrocytes. Life Sci. 2002; 71 469-82.
- 7 Lee I H, Huang R L, Chen C T, Chen H C, Hsu W C, Lu M K. Antrodia camphorata polysaccharides exhibit anti-hepatitis B virus effects. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2002; 209 63-7.
- 8 Nakamura N, Hirakawa A, Gao J J, Kakuda H, Shiro M, Komatsu Y. et al . Five new maleic and succinic acid derivatives from the mycelium of Antrodia camphorata and their cytotoxic effects on LLC tumor cell line. J Nat Prod. 2004; 67 46-8.
- 9 Joela H, Kasa S, Lehtovuori P, Bech M. EPR, ENDOR and TRIPLE resonance and MO studies on ubiquinones (Q-n): comparison of radical anions and cations of coenzymes Q-10 and Q-6 with the model compounds Q-2 and Q-0. Acta Chem Scand. 1997; 51 233-41.
- 10 Hansen M B, Nielsen S E, Berg K. Re-examination and further development of a precise and rapid dye method for measuring cell growth/cell kill. J Immunol Methods. 1989; 119 203-10.
Dr. Wu-Che Wen
5 F. No.27 - 6 Sec.2 Chung Cheng East Rd
Golden Biotechnology Corporation
Republic of China